possible tick on rabbits ear, need info please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianerae

Reaction score
Hello, My bun is a 6 yr. old, spayed male lop. He is a big healthy guy. He lives in the house. However he has been outside several times to play in the past few weeks. We live in town so there are no woods around us, my lawn is not overgrown nor do i have brush anywhere. The problem is this morning my husband was petting him and found a little black bug that was attached to his ear but it came off easily. He said he noticed a small black spot on the ear 2 days ago but thought it was a small scab because it didn't move or rub off when he was petting him. Could this be a tick?? We have never seen one and neither of our rabbits have ever had one on them before that we have noticed. It couldn't be a flee because it didn't "jump". The bug does not appear to be engorged with blood, it is still crawling around in a baggie and it looks like it may have a head on it. We cleaned the area on his ear with rubbing alcohol and put antibiotic ointment on it. Is there anything else that we need to do? Is there a chance there could be more? Could our other rabbit get them, she has not been outside? Could he get sick from this bug being on him for 2 days? I am sorry this is so long. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How many legs does the bug have? Ticks are arachnids, so it would have 8 legs. If it's only 6, it might be some sort of beetle that decided to hitch a ride. Given that it stayed on his ear, though, I would bet that it was literally attached.

You could take the bug into the vet's office (or even fish and wildlife, the extension office, or the hospital) for identification (none of them should charge for it).

Looks like 6 legs, 2 longer like legs in the front. Very hard to tell because it is small. Great idea about taking it in, I put it in a bag so I'll run it to the vets. I am very worried that there may be more on him. I have tryed looking through his fur but it is so dense it is hard to tell. Also he won't lie on his back for too long without trying to squirm away. Could it be possible that there was only 1? Thank you for your reply--We appreciate it. :wink

Latest posts

Back