possible stasis....freaking out!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
So I come home from work today and notice that Kahlua's pellets are untouched and she is laying in her litter box looking uncomfortable. My heart dropped. I tried to get her moving but she just wasn't interested. Usually when I walk in she hops right over to me for petting and nose rubs. I took her temp and it was 100.7 (lower than it should be) so I called the vet on call at the clinic tonight. We decided to try papya enzyme (2 pills crushed up in juice) and pellet slurry to see if she would poop. I also was told to warm her up, either with warm water bottles or a space heater and keep monitoring her temperature. Well, I changed out the litter box so I could see if she pooped and she pooped 3 regualr sized pellets but she is still laying in the box and not eating. I offered her a carrot, celery, a grape, and oatmeal, all of her favorites and she has no interest. I gave her about 6 cc of pellet slurry and put her back in her house to take a break. I am really worried. I have to take her with me early tomorrow morning when i go to work so we can run x rays and have the DR. look her over but I am so worried. I have never had a rabbit get this sick on me before.....

Is she lying with her tummy flat on the ground, and/or getting up and lying down again? It's probably gas, although whether that's a cause or and effect has to be determined.

Did the vet mention Simethicone-based baby gas meds? That's the first line of defense, she really needs some ASAP. Even if it's not gas, it won't hurt her.

Where are you located?

EDIT: Here's some Simethicone info.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10&jump_to=222400[/url"]http://rabbitsonline.net/view<WBR>_topic.php?id=11931&forum<WBR>_id=10&jump_to=222400]http<WBR>://rabbitsonline.net/view<WBR>_topic.php?id=11931&forum<WBR>_id=10&jump_to=222400[/url]

sas :?

Here&#39;s a recent thread with interesting info...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18042&forum_id=16[/url"]http://rabbitsonline.net/view<WBR>_topic.php?id=18042&forum<WBR>_id=16]http://rabbits-forums<WBR>.com/view_topic.php?id=18042<WBR>&forum_id=16[/url]

If you think she&#39;s in pain (is she grinding her teeth?), might be worth it to give her a little baby motrin, or even baby aspirin.

The tummy massages, vibration therapy, a little forced exercise and the Simethicone can all help.

If she&#39;s pooped even a little and they&#39;re a normal size, it&#39;s not likely to be a blockage, gas is likely. Gas can lead to stasis, although stasis can also lead to gas.

Keep us up to date, hope she&#39;s snaps out of it soon. :(

sas

You could try some simethicone(it might help) but it won&#39;t harm him if there is something else wrong with him.

Also if she is not drinking any water,you must syringe her some,syringing her water is very important for her to stay hydrated,give her warm water

Another thing,a low temp can be very dangerous,so do everything possible to keep her warm,i nearly lost my boy Cassidy to GI Stasis,his whole body went icy cold,and i rushed him of to the emergency vet,it happened all so quick!

But yeah just try the simethicone,and keep a very close eye on any changes at all!

If she starts to feel like she&#39;s getting colder,i think i would take her to the vet,these little guys can go down hill very fast.

I&#39;ll be keeping your little one in my thoughts

don&#39;t forget syringe her plenty of warm water

Please keep us updated!

cheryl

You&#39;ve gotten some great advice - GingerSpice was getting bloat a lot last fall. One thing I found to help was to syringe her with pedialyte for the electrolytes. I also don&#39;t know that I&#39;ve seen this anywhere...but I keep probiotic powder on hand and have been known to syringe some of that mixed in w/ the pedialyte to see if I could get her gut working better....

Can you describe the tummy? Is it hard or soft? Can you hear gurgling or anything like that? Has the rabbit been exposed to any treats it isn&#39;t used to?

Many folks on the forum have been able to help buns through bloat and also through GI Stasis .... so don&#39;t freak out too much. You don&#39;t want your rabbit picking up on your stress and making itself feel worse..

Peg

Sending prayers and good thoughts.

Any updates?

~Jim

I always keep Nutri Cal on hand. Has many great ingredients including vitamin E to help inflammation in the intestines. Also very easy to absorb.

Baby aspiring can help with the pain.

Of course, a vet visit is always recommended, and dehydrated rabbits may need to be put on an IV.

Pam

thanks for all the replies! Kahlua did ok overnight, I kept her warm and once her temperature went up she seemed to feel better and ate a little bit of hay on her own. every 2 hours i gave her pellet slurry mixed with warm water and massaged her tummy a bit. Her tummy didnt gurgle and it wasnt hard. she seems perkier today but she's going in to see the Dr. this morning anyway so we can find out what caused this. you guys gave great advice, i am going to print it out for later in case i ever need this again. one question, do you think i should get some critical care to keep on hand in case this ever happens again?

I don&#39;t think Critical Care is necessary. A pellet slurry is just as good, and the rabbit might like it better because it&#39;s made with her normal food. I would recommend keeping simethicone (baby gas meds), Nutri-Cal, Pedialyte, and canned pumpkin on hand. My buns love canned pumpkin and get it as a treat. I mix it in the pellet slurry to make it taste good, and you can syringe it by itself. It provides fiber and water. I also mix a little Nutri-Cal in the pellet slurry for the vitamins and extra calories.

BTW, if you&#39;ve only been giving pellet slurry I&#39;d recommend syringing water or Pedialyte (flavored or unflavored) also. Fluids can help a lot and are actually more important than solid food.

how&#39;s Kahlua doing?

I keep critical care on hand and my rabbit vet prefers me to use it as a first line of defense. My rabbits mostly like it because I can mix it with pedialyte or baby food or canned pumpkin or whatever..

In fact - I only bought Nutrical recently because my vet preferred I didn&#39;t use it and I had one little rabbit that didn&#39;t want the critical care.

I tried experimenting with both after I bought the nutrical and the rabbits I used for the experiemnt...preferred Critical Care. Then again - maybe it is because that is what they are used to...

Peg

naturestee wrote:
I don&#39;t think Critical Care is necessary.

I don&#39;t mean to :threadhijacked:. But, I was just wondering, in case I may need it in the near future, where can I get Nutri Cal/Critical Care? Thanks. Oh, I&#39;m in IL.

I hope one of these works for your baby.:hug:

I picked mine up from the local vet (the rabbit savy vet didn&#39;t want to sell it to me as she really didn&#39;t want me using it over critical care). I will say that Nutrical is much easier to use though - no mixing...just open tube and push.

Peg

Our little girl, Pumpkin, was acting in a very similar way a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be gas. I&#39;ve heard that massage is the best thing, and it seemed to help Pumpkin. She was better in about 8-10 hours, but it was SCARY for that time!!!! Take care....thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Well, Kahlua went to the vet&#39;s yesterday and we took x-rays of her and she has a big hairball. Doc told me to give her papaya enzyme, pineapple juice, lots of hay and roughage, and laxatone ( cat hairball medicine). So far Kahlua has been hanging in there, she&#39;s nibbling her hay and she ate some cucumber last night. She seems kinda uncomfortable, she wont do her usual bunny flop, she lays huddled up.

Try to get her drinking as much as possible. Especially if you are treating a hairball with laxatives, she needs to be well hydrated. If you give her laxatives when she is not hydrated, it will coat the intestines andmakeit harder for the mass to move.If she isn&#39;t drinking enough, I would syringe some water or pedialyte.Also you canhave a pellet slurry.

Also wet veggies help too! Try to dip some hay in water as well. That always tempted Pepsi to eat more hay. You just have to remove it after an hour or two.

Hope she gets back to her normal self soon!

:yeahthat

Also, I&#39;d highly recommend giving gas meds. It might relieve some of her pain, and it&#39;s possible that gas caused the "hairball" in the first place. Hairballs actually form most often after the intestines have slowed down, instead of them being the cause.

It might be a good idea to call the vet and ask about pain meds.

Another way to keep her comfortable is to give her something warm to cuddle with. Sick rabbits sometimes have trouble keeping their body temperatures up. A cheap way to keep her warm and comfy is to stuff a sock with dry rice, tie it off, and warm it in the microwave.

:pray:

Latest posts

Back