Possible Second Pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasenpfeffer

Reaction score
My Bunnies Adolph ( now Adahlia ) and Munsch-Munsch were both believed to be male until I one day discovered babies in the hutch. Because they had similar fur, I couldn't tell which bunny had made the nest and didn't know which bunny to remove to from he cage. Three days later I caught Adahlia nursing the babies and took Munsch-Munsch out of the hutch and found another for him. The babies are now 32 days old and doing well.
I'm worried about Adahlia being pregnant again. She still seems quite fat and was pretty nasty towards a bunny friend today. She has been thumping at me and not interested in being held. If she hasn't given birth yet would it be safe to say she's not pregnant and just still experiencing some hormonal fluctuations?
P.s. two weeks after the babies were born, they had a quick rendezvous ( totally unintentional ) but Munsch-Munsch didn't "fall off" so I was hoping she would be ok. I certainly didn't intend to breed or have back to back breeds !

Another thought is : could she just be bummed out and miss her friend? Maybe she's eating her feelings? I do that....

She could be fat just from milk for her current babies. Her behavior could just be hormonal. Examine her and wait. It doesn't take but a second. Back to back breeds sometimes happen but it is better if it doesn't. I've had it happen to me and everything turned out fine. Just more babies in the cage and bigger siblings.

Give it a few more days and if she doesn't kindle then you're in the safe zone and a one time accidental back to back should be just fine as long as the buck has been removed and all bucks when they have testicles should be removed, all does can be together as long as no fighting occurs. As for her mood it could just be she's over nursing the little ones and wants a break and/or missing her friend.

I'm glad to hear your little ones are going well! Kits are such a joy.

Kits are such a joy! We adored them so much we kept one, Junior, and gave the rest to grateful friends. Junior constantly "jumps for joy" as my daughter says because my children take such wonderful care of their bunnies. We are looking into breeding again, but under different circumstances and after a lot more research!

Binkying is a sweet thing especially done by little bunnies! And that's basically what a binky is a jump for joy and happiness!

What breed are they?

I'd be looking for people interested in kits first and with people you trust and yes! Research, I've had rabbits for years and I am a breeder yet never do I stop researching because I find out things I never knew before!

I am trying to get all the research I can before we decide when we'll start. I had so much interest in our little guys that I was able to carefully select the new homes. If I had to beg people to take them, then I would never consider breeding. If for whatever reason we were not able to find homes, we would be fine keeping them as we have the room and certainly the love!
Our babies are minirex/lionheads. They were handled with love everyday and turned out to be the funniest, sweetest little guys!
What advice can you give me for starting out? What breeds would you not recommend? I will be looking into finding a new couple and breeding purebreds as Adahlia is my lovey and I felt like I betrayed her by letting her get pregnant !

I bought my bunny pregnant, unknowingly. After she had the babies, she was extremely aggressive and hated me. I got her fixed along with my other rabbit and they became best friends. I would recommend getting her and her pal spayed, that is if you want then to remain friends and socialize. And by the way, we got her spayed like 3 months after she gave birth, and in those three months it got progressively worse. She became a totally different rabbit and the spay, in a good way. I'll never regret doing it. Hope this helps!

It's honestly pretty safe to say your doe is pregnant. I've had babies from bucks who didn't fall off. If she lifted, it doesn't matter w whatsoever if he geek of our not.

The best advice I can give is feed her unlimited pellets and MARK the calendar!

I did go back and mark her 2nd rendezvous thanks! I am eager to see what will happen! She has become much friendlier to me ( she even hopped into my lap today!!) but then has been digging and rearranging her hutch. I'll keep feeding this hungry gal and wait it out!

My suggestion would be before diving into the world of registered breeding join your local rabbit club and find a breed you like and are lured to start showing that breed and start learning about breed standards and genetics and you'll need to be as to distinguish between pet quality, show quality and those you should retain for breeding.

And honestly you'll need more than two but whilst you're starting out begin with one registered and rung rabbit with pedigree papers. I am unaware if it's the same where you are but I imagine you can't buy them rung (There identification band) if you are not a member of a rabbit club meaning you cannot show in breed classes and you need winning lines and in order to get interest in your kits you'll need show winners and proof they're show winners.

And as for breeds I suggest, depends I fancy the lop breeds but I would have a Lionhead but unfortunately we do not have them in my country. So breeds really do you like small, medium, larger, or giant? What would you feel comfortable with? I myself have two breeds but am thinking of delving into the smaller of the dwarf breeds. Rex are hyperactive from what I've been told by others and so are their Mini counterparts. Honestly I think your safest bet would be to start with the larger Dwarf types as anything around the same size as a Netherland Dwarf have troublesome litters. If laid back is your thing I suggested Dwarf Lops or Mini Lops but not Cashmere Lops unless you have enough time to groom them as kits everyday and as adults twice a week and selling to pet homes are a very bad idea and should really only be bred if requested by showing people or other breeders. That is where the showing comes in handy you'll know people looking for and other breeders to buy and as well as that and you have guidelines to staying true to the breeds. Honestly I would think really hard on this and do a lot of research, I still do when I think of taking on other breed or I'm just not sure about a certain colour a kit has come out. It's a complicated thing and costs a fortune in food, hutches, bedding, and vet bills in which I recently spent in two weeks over 200 on vet bills (But she was a rescue.)
Here is a picture of one of my does.ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393829281.182842.jpg

Thank you! This certainly gives us lots to do, but we are going to get it all done :) My husband wants Holland Lops because we had one as a young couple.
What country do you live in that you do not have Lionheads? Munsch-Munsch is a Lionhead and he is gorgeous, although I have to be on top of his grooming as well.
Your doe is beautiful!

Australia, we don't have quite a lot of breeds. I take it you are from America? As in Australia, England and anywhere who follows BRC naming call Holland Lops 'Mini Lops' and 'Mini Lops' here are called Dwarf Lops. Hurts your head a bit!

It's strange to say but I enjoy grooming as I have a horse I have always considered it a bonding experience and it really is, they become more relaxed and affectionate after a good brush.

Well, there you go start off with them and show and see what it's like and decide from there whether or not to get a second and begin breeding.

I suggest going on the website for your countries rabbit club and research the standards of the breed and I do suggested seeing the standard differences by going on the BRC website as well! You'll learn heaps!

Thank you! She's a little monster, she nibbled my headphones apart the other day. Good thing they were already broken. :)

We live in northern Canada.
We are lucky to not have a nibbler but Adahlia has sure become the digger lately! Its funny how we can justify their behaviour when they are so cute!! I never excuse the cat for his behaviour lol

Thank you :) I don't live in Ontario, but this gave me a place to get more information !

Most of mine are diggers and nibblers! One of my bucks decided my leg was perfect for a chew, I think he was trying to groom me back as I was giving him a brush as he's in an explosive moult at the moment.

Sometimes they can pick up habits from buddies.

Another question : we took all the bunnies out to play before school today and my son noticed how easily Adahlia's fur was to pull out. Is this a sign of pregnancy?

Latest posts

Back