Possible Pregnancy - PLEASE HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almi

Reaction score
Well, we had a bit of an accident. Please read.

http://www.hamsterhouse.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Other;action=display;num=1112767319;start=0

As you can see, most of my "Hamster House friends" were not able to help me much.

So, I am just wondering if anyone would be able to answer a few questions for me.

- How can I tell if she's pregnant or not?

- What do I feed a pregnant doe?

- Any post-birth (can't think of the word) care?

That's all I can think of right now. I will most likely have more questions as time progresses.

Thanks for any help! *goes to read other topics on rabbit breeding*

~Jamie~

Have you checkedout the Cheet Sheets at the begining ofthe forum , its a goodread and i think theres a threadfor from conceptionto birth : dang cant rememberthe exact thread .bit its all here and we willhelp also.

what kind of rabbit ? posta picture so we cansee lol welove bunny pics,

Thank you so much! I shall print that out. ^_^

Here's a few pics of her. (She's lost much of her chub since then. lol):

Ribbon%20Emmy.jpg

Emmy%20on%20Cage.jpg

Well, the Petco I got her from (which I really DON'T trust, as theyoftendo not know how to sex animals and do not treat all oftheir animals very well....don't even get me started on a rant aboutthem) 3 years ago told me she was a Netherland Dwarf and that sheshouldn't get any bigger. Which she did somewhat look likeone, and did weigh 2 lbs, but she was not fully grown at her supposed 4months of age.

Well, for one, she looks like she may have Netherland in her, but she'snot quite stout enough in body, head, and ears, and she's also twicethe size of a normal Netherland - 4 lbs. I think she may bepart Dwarf Hotot. It doesn't show it in the pics, but on thecorner of her left eye there's some black coloring, which extends ontoher eyelid. (I think there may be a bit of coloring on herright eyelids as well.) Not to mention the little black spoton the tip of her right ear, the gray and brown spot on the inside ofher left ear, and the brown spot on the inside of her nose.:D She's also got somewhat the body/face structure of aHotot. I think she may also be part Florida White, but whoknows. *shrug* She's definitely a cute mix, though.

As for Blue, he's an English Lop. He's my mom'srabbit. He's much younger than Emmy, about a yearold. Although young, he's twice the size of Emmy, whichworries me a bit - should I worry about size much?

I have no pics of him though, sorry. :(

Hi Almi,

I have Pebbles an 8 month old Netherland Dwarf and she is2.2 lbs. The max she'll grow tois 2.5 lbs.

Netherland Dwarfs usually have problems with their first pregnancy asmine did. I believe she had a larger malerabbit caged with her in a pet store. Anyways, she ended up getting a c -section with one stillbornwhich was almost as big as Pebbles.

In your case, I think Emmy is largerrabbit, and won't have the problems that the NetherLandDwarfs have.

If youcheck inon this forum, there willbe other members that can help you. Try bumping this threadup in the morning, and PMCarolyn (our moderator), as she can get you intouch with the right people.

Rainbows! :)

I sure hope she won't have problems. Bythe link that dajeti2 gave me, I'm guessing Emmy won't have many, herbeing olderand a smaller rabbit. I'm crossing myfingers nothing will go wrong, but she's always been rather healthy, sohopefully luck and genetics are on my side. I had no idea itwas so hard to have successful litters! :shock:

Oh, btw, is the nest box THAT necessary? I mean, I'm guessingthe reason they want a nestbox is so that the babies stay put and sothey don't freeze, but it's always about 70-75 degrees in my petroom. I can provide a space for her to have them in, andnesting material, but a nest box? I guess I'm not worriedabout her having them out of this place anyway, because she lines itwith her fur, so I know that it's her "nestbox" whether she's pregnantor not. It's basically just a section of her cage partitionedoff with towels. :p So is this ok, or should I make somemakeshift nestbox for her?

you could hang Dark colored towels in a squarearound her part of the cage, leaving an opening for her to get in anout for privacy so you dont have to have an actual box. but also yourcage dosnt have a wire bottom dosnt it?? this could be a hazard to thenewborns... Good luck with your litter though!!! i hope everything goeswell!

Look at the second pic of her. She'ssitting on top of her hutch, and the towel she's sitting on is thetowel covering the one end of the cage. There's another (darkcolored) towel hanging inside of the cage, which is difficult to see inthat pic.

Yes, there is a wire bottom, but there's also a flat bottom right underit, so the wire is touching the bedding firmly. Will thatcreate a problem? If so, I can put something over the wire,or take the entire piece off, which I would rather not do.

you wouldnt want the bunnies to be in their ownexcrements, but so long as the bunnies cant like, Fall through or getstuck you should be okay. I havent had a litter and im really justgoing off of things ive seen from other users, and things ive read andtalked about. ^_^ i wanted to breed my Hotot male with a Dutch Femalebut we ended up not because we thought better of it. Plus babies aretough to care for if the mother wont care for them. *feeding every hour*
you should be okay though. just make sure everything is *SUPER* Clean.Even cleaning your cage with vinegar would be a good idea... just sothat all the germs and other bad things are pretty much gone from theenviroment.

Feeding every hour? But I've come to learn that does feed their young once a day..... *is confused*

Clean? Got it. Must keep very clean. ^_^

Anyhow, I should figure something out. I have a lot ofresources in my pet room, so I should be able to whip up something fora makeshift nest box or something.

Yeah that part im not super keen on, so if imwrong im sorry.. i havent had a litter so i dont know if the every hourthing is true. it was an estimate on my part.. i know with alot ofother baby animals its an hourly thing, not too sure on buns.

*googles*

learn something new everyday ^_^ i guess it says you can feed babieswith kitten milk and only twice a day max. overfeeding can kill a bun.Well im glad i looked that up. maybe i should check out some more stufftoo ^_^

Yep. Take a look at the link in this thread. It was extremely helpful. :)

I don't think any animal needs to be fed hourly, really.Hamsters only need to be fed every 2 hours until they are two weeksold. Now hamsters - that I know about! lol I used to breedthem. ;)

I think you have to feed kittens alot. andpuppies.. im not sure, thats stuff i never looked up because i wasntplanning on having babies. if me and my friend actually were going tobreed we both would have been on the net for weeks before we even didthat... looking everything up.

what kinda hamsters did you breed?

a petstore we have near us breeds Black bear Hamsters. A rareerbreed that a man who discovered the breed kept to himself only sellingfemales or males ( im not sure what sex he kept from selling) so noonecould actually have a pure bred one. but i guess a few pairs got outinto the world and now our pet store ( they breed their own animalsusually.. even african grey parrots!!!) has em. ^_^ theyre so sweettoo! 25 bucks a pop though...

I think you have to feed kittens and puppiesevery 2-4 hours, like you do human babies. *shrugs* That'sjust an educated guess.

I bred Syrian hamsters.

There is no such thing as a "Black Bear hamster" being a differentbreed. It is simply a black Syrian. There are fivebreeds of hamsters - Syrian, Campell's Dwarf, Winter White (dwarf),Roborovski (dwarf), and Chinese. If you're referring to acolor pattern in Syrians being a different breed, it's not,really. People just say they are a special breed to get moremoney for them. I have bred a cinnamon solid and a cinnamonbanded and ended up with PEW hamsters (pink-eared white;thereare no true albinos in Syrians). Genetics canbe quite interesting. Oh, btw, that "rare breed" could'vebeen tortoiseshell or calico. That color pattern only comesin females - male torties/calicos are extremelyrare finds -like 1 in 1,000 or something. (And it's usually so in mostcalico/tortoiseshellanimals.) Otherwise you may bethinking of Rovorovskis or Chinese. Those can be harder tocome by than Syrians or Russian dwarves. (Campbell's and WWs are bothRussian dwarves; they only have very small differences that make them adifferent breed.)

Anyway, enough with education on hamster breeds. lol

Ah, since we're on the topic, here's one of my past hamsters from apast litter. :D He's a sable banded Syrian. He'salso my current Syrian's daddy. :)

Starburstcarrot.jpg

And my current Syrian - she's the last of my clan of 8 Syrians. hehe Oh, and no, that's not me holding her. XD

Nugget+Rachael.jpg

Awwww, I used to always have a hamster or three. They're really sweet little things. :)

Sorry about your bunny worries. The Cheat Sheet and/or Tina'slink is the information to trust. That info isfrompeople here who have had dozens, or even hundreds, oflitters.

SAS

Latest posts

Back