Possible Pregnancy after escape

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceBunny

Reaction score
You may have seen a thread about how my rabbit Alice escaped the house last week and was missing outside for 4 days. Someone pointed out to me that she could be pregnant and now I am worried. She isn't spayed because I was putting it off until I got my big university refund this month and now I'm really regretting that choice. She is about 8-10 months old. While she was gone she traveled at least 4 miles (that's how far away she was when she was found but she could have backtracked). If she did manage to get pregnant she would be somewhere between 4-8 days along at this point.

What should I look out for and is there anything I can do for her in case she is pregnant? If I take her to the vet can he check to see if she is pregnant somehow or do I just have to wait to see? I know some people get pregnant rabbits spayed to abort the litter but I don't think I would be comfortable doing that...

Also, does she need to get any vaccinations or have any medications to prevent her from getting diseases that might have been outside? She seems healthy at the moment but I don't want anything to happen to her.

It's pretty much a wait and see game. You could get a vet to do either an unltrasound or x-ray when she's 3 weeks along or so, if you felt you had to know. Nothing special is needed until after kindling. After that long outside you might watch her weight and poop. It's possible she picked up worms.

I agree with majorv :) If you are really concerned, a vet will be able to help. Hopefully she didn't get pregnant, wishing you all the best :D

Thanks you guys. Tomorrow I'm going to try to feel her tummy as I have read that I might be able to feel if she is pregnant at this point. I was wondering if I am feeling for actual baby bunnies inside her uterus or if I am just feeling for swollen milk glands? I read to feel on either side of her belly for small marble sized lumps.

Tomorrow she would be somewhere between 10-14 days along if she were pregnant. She has been very crabby with me lately and even lunged and bit my hand yesterday evening as I was giving her pellets. I think I will wait it out and not take her to the vet unnecessarily. I'm still hoping she's not pregnant as it would be difficult to watch over a litter of bunnies just after the start of a new semester, but I also wouldn't mind going through the experience :)

Be careful because if you've never done it before you could injure the kits if you press too hard in the wrong spot.

Thanks for the advice :) I will be very gentle! Although I'm not sure if I will be able to handle her after all because this morning she is very angry! Every time I walk past her pen she chases me and growls/grunts. This morning I tried giving her a strawberry and she almost bit my finger (but then she ate her strawberry). She's not usually this crabby so I feel like she is either pregnant or there might be something else going on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back