Possible Kidney Failure?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Reaction score
Mason has an appointment at 11am tomorrow, but I want to get some advice and suggestions before heading in. I've found that people here tend to know more about rabbits overall than many vets (even small animal ones). You guys and girls tend to know more from having rabbits for many years, experiencing many health problems and sharing stories with others.

My rabbit, Mason, is about 9-10 years old and there have been some changed recently.

-Weight Loss
-Increase in thirst
-Looks fatigued
-Change in litter box behavior (he now sleeps in his box, which he never did before)
-Possible Urine Scald (from his change in litter box behavior)

He's eating fine (still gets excited for veggies and eats tons of pellets), but I have a feeling it's a kidney problem. He's still pooping and peeing a lot. His balance isn't the best anymore, he can't jump to the 2nd story of his cage very well. The vet will probably take blood and put him on antibiotics. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to go about diagnosis and treatment? If it's not kidney related, what do you think it likely is? I can tell he's sick, he's not acting normal.

I'll post pictures in a moment.

I've been having to give him baths because of his litter box issues. He's lost a little hair on his feet. I didn't know what urine scald was until a week ago and it appears that's what he has. I'm VERY good about keeping his cage clean. I'm constantly wiping about messes on his coroplast and I change his litter about 2-3 times a day. He despises the baths and I usually end up getting hurt in the process. I've been trying to deep clean his butt and all of the fur that drags back there, but it's so hard with an angry bunny. I try to get him to just hop around the luke warm water to loosen it up.

Any suggestions with the bath?

After his bath today:

a9dbc865.jpg

4af6ae48.jpg

Hi Danakscully64,
Unfortuantely i do not have any advice for you, but wanted to offer my best wishes for Mason. He is a beatiful boy and 9-10 years old! Wow, i can only hope i am still chatting about my little buns when they are that age..
Sending my bunny love for a full recovery :)

Awww....poor Mason! I really don't know for sure, but it sounds like his kidneys to me. Maybe he has a bladder/kidney infection? And possibly he's dribbling urine, while sleeping/laying down, which could explain the urine all over him? I really don't know, but he's a lucky bun to have you! He's so cute! I hope you can get answers at the vet tomorrow, and that it's nothing serious.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping it's just an infection that can be helped with antibiotics, but the weight loss scares me the most. And his old age.

I'll let everyone know how the appointment goes.

Oooh poor Mason. :( I hope he's OK. Many snuggles from Basil and Appa.

Has his water intake increased? Ty had an increased appetite and water intake before he was diagnosed, and that was before his stroke... I've taken a lot of preventative measures to urine scald, however, so haven't seen that yet.

Poor dude, hoping for some good news.

The vet gave him blood work and sent him home with antibiotics, like I suspected he would. Blood work came back normal, no elevated blood sugar or problems with heart, kidneys, liver, etc. He did find a lump in his abdomen though and he lost a pound. He told me to think about it, decide if I want to move further and do X-rays and such.

What do you think I should do? He's already 10. I don't think it's a good idea to put him through major treatment and stress, as hard as it is for me to say that. I've tried treating older animals and always end up losing them anyway and putting them through pain in the end. It's costly too.

Latest posts

Back