Possible heart attack? (Or dying rabbit)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voldii

Reaction score
My dad took my 7yo netherland dwarf rabbit midnight (you might remember he was the rabbit I thought had a broken leg after someone tied straw round his leg which severely cut off circulation). Well today we took him inside to take the dried poo off his bum and I was cutting some.of it off (being careful not to cut his skin) he started... Uhm. I don't know how to describe it. He rolled on his back ad started nuding his head with his paws and his legs started to curl up and he was kicking out. His eyes were half shut. I thought he was having a heart attack and dying. I cant bring him inside to keep an eye on him - he hates being inside and maybe thats what caused this? He seems to be panting now we've put him back outside in his shed and is sat cleaning his paws but doesnt look himself. I cant take him to the vets it's late now. I'll keep an eye on him for as long as I can but any ideas what might have happened to him?

I've seen him scared before but this was something else... He only stopped after a minute of rolling around on the floor of his shed. He seems fairly okay now, but I don't want to cause him distress by looking too closely (he's handled every day but not for long as he's blind). I hope he's ok :(

I'm sorry that Voldi is having a hard go of things lately. It almost sounds like stress over load to me, but I'm not an expert. I just wanted to add prayers and nose rubs that Voldi gets better.

Do you think it was a seizure? You said it looked like he might have been dying, and many rabbits have seizures while dying. I am not sure from your description if it was this, because it sounds like he might have been moving purposely to get you to stop touching him--"freaking out" instead of a seizure where he had lost control of his body.

Is he doing ok? Make sure he is warm, comfortable, and has access to food and water.

Oh ok. :L I was just worried because he's never reacted in this way before. And we clean poo off him almost every day. He lookes fairly normal today, although his eyes are wierd, they look like two black holes.

Why does he need to have poo cleaned off him? Is he not eating his cecals? Does he have mobility issues? Is it diarrhea?

He is fine now, he's been normal for the past couple of days. If he does need taking to the vets if it happens again, I'd have to carry him in a box all the way to the vets (he cant cope with the movement of a car due to having no balance). I don't know why he has diarrhea the vet didn't seem to worried about it on our last visit. He doesn't have much of t - he just has a terrible tendency to sit in his poo :L someone mebtioned he might have too much fibre in his food, so will change his food and see how it goes. :) thanks for all your replies, fingers crossed he will live out his last few months happily :D

Latest posts

Back