Possible GI Stassis, Need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

**SRonchi1

Shaan Ronchi
Reaction score
It's night time in NZ & when bringing my bun inside for the night he was way to easy to catch from his outside hutch (he's not the biggest fan of bring picked up!) I then new something was up! He then jumped in his inside house & went to his litter pan & laid down- Usually he starts nibbling hay straight away. I have given him 1ml of Simithecone & will do hourly for the next 2hours but when should I start syringing food? I gave him some stringed water after the Simithecone. He has been heavily molting lately do you think that could be the cause? Nothing in his diet has changed! The only other thing j can think of is 2days ago our next door neighbors dog jumped our fence while he was hanging out in the garden & chaced his around for a couple of minutes and when I saw the dog he had abit of Darcy's hair in his mouth although Darcy wasn't missing any when I checked him! He then went into his inside house and started eating etc but could it be stress from 2days ago??

He was eating his greens & hay at lunch time today & started acting abit off around 3pm & was brought inside at 8pm

Last edited:
Can you get him to eat any greens? Sometimes greens can help moisten things up in there and get things moving. Last time Ripley started molting he got stasis; that was the only thing we could find that may have caused it, so it may be something like that for your bun. With my guy, he went straight to the vet and they gave him some subq's and Reglan and he was so much better afterwards.

Thanks for your quick reply Bunnylova4eva I will try him with greens again but he wasn't interested last time. I have soaked some pellets & Timothy chaff so will Syringe some in if he doesn't want his greens & keep up with the syringed fluids, doesn't sound like I will be getting much sleep tonight!. He has had poos lately that have had hair attached to them so I'm thinking its his molting to that's the cause. Fingers crossed my rabbit vet is working tomorrow as the other vets have no clue!

Well Darcy is back to his normal self binkying around the back yard & grazing again, Thank god!! I think I caught him just in time!! I gave him 1ml Simethicone every hour for 3hours, 1ml of syringed water after each dose of Simethicone & 0.1ml of Metacam for the pain accompanied with apprx 4ml of soaked pellets & Timothy chaff (Metacam needs to be given with food) & before I went to bed (at 2:30am might I add!!) I gave him 1ml of water with a sprinkle of non dairy human 8 strain probiotic. I woke early in the morning & he seemed better so I tried to give him his fav greens & YES!! He started eating them again & munched on some hay too! I left him inside to monitor him for half a day before I let him out to roam the back yard & he was very happy to be let out! I left his Son & daughter in with him like they always are and they kept him warm as he was quite cold from obviously being in shock from the pain! I rang my vet this morning and she said it was most Likely cause by the dog chasing him the other day. Sooo very happy with the outcome and that is wasn't a big drawn out process & I can stop stressing :)

Latest posts

Back