Possible GI problem - Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddessofpeep

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum, and I wish my first real post could be a happier one. Apologies for the length.

I have a 4(ish) month old Netherland Dwarf who's behaving strangely. I'm wondering if I should risk the stress of a trip to the vet or not.

She is currently in a spare bedroom that I'm working on rabbit proofing for her enjoyment. While the room is under construction, she's got a large cage to stay in, an exercise pen to play in, and we let her run around the safer areas of the house under supervision.

A few days ago my husband cleaned out her exercise pen for the first time, and I cleaned out her litter box in that pen. I put her in there to run around while I did work around the house. Several hours later, I became aware that the litter box was still empty of any droppings. This is really unusual for her, and she had been going fine that morning. She was using the box for urine, but nothing else. I took her out of the pen, massaged her belly, let her run around for a while, and she eventually started to go normally. She had been in her pen since about 2-3pm, and the first sign of droppings didn't happen until about 10pm. As soon as I put her in her cage, she was pooping fine.

Next day I find a decent amount of poop in her cage litter box, and I take her out to her pen again. Again she's not pooping for several hours, save for the "special" ones she eats. Again, put her in the cage, and she starts pooping again.

She's eating normally. She's active. I can't find any signs of pain in her. Her abdomen is the same as it always is, but she is not pooping at all outside of her cage. What she is producing looks normal, but she's been going for hours(sometimes 6+ hours) without a single regular dropping. She seems to have stopped the random poops(except in her cage), and she's not even pooping on my husband(a favorite pastime of hers).

She has plenty of hay. She had eaten a lot of pellets just before this problem started, but I cut back on them once it happened. She has always eaten a lot of hay(and anything else she can get her teeth around). She's been drinking like a champ, and she appears to be completely healthy except for the fact that she's not pooping the same way she was a few days ago. She still bites my husband as much as she ever did. She still goes crazy when we put her on the couch to play. She digs, she jumps, she runs, she eats, she binkies - she just doesn't poop outside her cage.

She had absolutely no problem with doing any of her business in the pen until it was cleaned. If it wasn't for the long time she's been going without pooping, I wouldn't be worried. Did cleaning out the pen upset her, or is a trip to the vet in order?

Honestly, I don't think you need to go to the vet. As long as there is no liquid stool and she is using the bathroom I wouldn't be to worried. Its almost like she sees her cage as her litter box, and in that sense, you've litter trained her haha. As long as she isn't straining and all the little poos are the same size and normal looking, I don't believe a trip to the vet is in order. I would resume grain intake as normal and if you really want her to start pooing everywhere try to give her some treats to encourage her to defecate.

All in all, I'm pretty sure she is okay.

I agree, as long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping normally, and the poop isn't mushy, irregular shaped, smaller or larger than usual, and her behavior is normal besides for this, then it most likely isn't a medical issue(though it can't be ruled out entirely yet). It's possible that she is holding it for some reason. Have you tried putting an extra litter box in her pen area to see if that helps?

Thanks for the replies:)

She seems to be fine otherwise. Maybe a bit mellow, but nothing really unusual. Also, I have been trying to handle her more the last week or so, and she seems to be responding to it. It's just really weird. She used to be a poop machine. She was shockingly easy to litter box train. We just put it in her cage, and that was it. We didn't even have to call her over to it, she just saw it and started to go. We put the litter box in her pen, and she never had a problem with using it. The only other thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen her lay down and stretch out in the last few days. I've seen her stretch after a nap, and there is nothing to indicate that she's in any pain. There's no indication that there's any reason for her to be sleeping only in "ball form", but I just haven't seen it. She is kind of behaving a bit off, but not in a bunny in pain sort of way. It's subtle, and I can't nail down a cause other than she's maybe depressed or upset about something.

She just refuses to use the litter box in her pen now, except to urinate. I tried switching the one in her cage for the one in her pen, and she still won't use it. It doesn't seem to matter how long we keep her in the pen, she still won't do it. If I put her in the cage, she starts the pooping almost immediately. I had her in the pen for a few hours - nothing. I then just put her in the cage, stuck her on the litter box, and they just started coming. She's eating ok. We had her out in the house to run around, and she seemed really happy. She can certainly still jump!

This has been going on since Tuesday, and there's been no change in her behavior since then. She's not getting worse, but she's still not pooping in the pen like she used to.

This all started when my husband cleaned out her pen. She hasn't wanted to poop in there since then. I'm actually worried about cleaning out her cage at this point:/ We have the litter box in there, and she seems ok with me cleaning that out. I've been doing it once a day to keep track of how much is coming out of her. I'm worried about cleaning out the rest of the cage. It's nothing dirty, just lots and lots of hay, but I don't want her to stop pooping in the cage too:/

I also had a question about her diet. Right now it's hay and pellets only. We were told by the breeder to not start giving her fresh stuff until she was about 6 months old. When can we start giving her fresh greens?

It sounds like for some reason, she's decided she either isn't allowed to poop anywhere else now or only likes doing it in her cage. Is her cage accessible to her while she is out running around? That would probably be the best thing, is making sure she can get back in her cage to go potty. Holding it for such a long time isn't going to be good for her health. It's possible that it's starting to make her backed up and she is feeling uncomfortable, so some of her behavior has changed. It's best to sort this out asap so that it doesn't develop into stasis. One thing that may help is putting her hay in a corner of the litter box that she doesn't pee in. Rabbits will often poop while they eat, so this may help get her pooping in the other litter box.

If this continues, she gets worse, or something doesn't seem right to you, it would be good to get her into a good rabbit vet to get checked in case there is something going on.

Some people prefer to wait til 6 months to give veggies, but some do it earlier. It's usually considered best to wait til they are at least 12 weeks. And key to reducing chances of upset are, starting with one veggie at a time, start with a small amount, and increase gradually if there are no signs of mushy poop or digestive upset(signs of pain). Here's a guideline for giving veg to rabbits as well as a chart listing signs that a rabbit may exhibit when in pain.

http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/
http://vetmed.duhs.duke.edu/GuidelinesforPainRodentsRabbits.html

Last edited:
Some rabbits get very territorial and urine and feces mark territory. Perhaps she has decided that the cage is her territory and the newly cleaned pen is not her territory so, she does not want to leave anything that would make whoever she thinks "owns" want to fight with her over it. I'd try giving her acess to the pen and her cage at the same time to help her learn that the pen is hers and only hers too.

I don't know what the problem was, but she's started to act normally again. She's pooping in her pen again, and last night she pooped on my husband multiple times. I don't think she likes him much:p Whatever was bothering her isn't bothering her so much anymore. Thank you to everybody who replied! I'm keeping an eye on things, but she seems fine:)

Latest posts

Back