Possible fur mites - questions about treatment (shortened)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am finding when I rub their ears that I get some (not a huge amount) of dried skin. It also has a scaly shiny look to them (shows up more for Pebbles and Poppy, not so much Bruno or Jasmine).There's no fur loss, although they are moulting. I looked through their fur on their bodies and didn't find any dandruff, just on the earswhen I rub. There ears are clean,no build up or funky smell.Fur looks healthy and clean. I usually don't take notice to scratching, unless I am intentionally looking out for it, so I'm not sure if they are scratching more, but they are scratching.

I've read about kitten flea powder with the ingredients carbaryl will work, but then read on the HRS that it is not recommend? Why is that? I was thinking about this as my first option since it would be easy to use, easy to get, and cheaper.

The last option I think would work is revolution which I've heard great things about and also will help if they have other things. If I need to treat everyone, would it just be one dose, or a few since the bunny may have to be treated up to 5 weeks after because of the eggs etc? How much roughly would it cost for this treatment?

I'm just keeping an eye on everyone since the problem doesn't seem to bother them and it seems very minor. I will be taking at least Pebbles, hopefully Jasmine to the vet sometime soon to make sure everything is alright, but I just wanted your opinions on options to treat possiblecases offur mites :)

Thanks!

My vet told me once years ago that there was something in flea powders that isn't good for bunnies when they groom it off, sorry I can't remember what it is :?, but we are going back about 10 years now into my awefull memory :). I think the good thing about the treatments like revolution is that you apply it where the bunny can't reach to lick it off.

Wish I could help a bit more but I think you probably already know more than me on the subject :D.

Edit: Oops! NZminilops here, Sakura forgot to sign out :p.

:( Did you end up taking the buns to the vet? I would say have them check for the mites. Did you look IN their ears to see if there was any scabbing or anything like that?

There was a time when Cookie had dry skin on his ear... and it turned out to be just that- dry skin.. and a little bit of baby oil on it got rid of it, but I did take himto the vet just to make sure.

As far as the kitten flea powder - I think it was something to do with licking it off as Michelle said, I'll see if I find the article for you...

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner, Spring! What's the update? Did you take them in to be checked?

Have you seen any brownish buildup in the ears? Any "gunk"?Could it be the heat in the house drying things out a bit?

I'm just waiting on mom to confirm a date so thatIcan book an appointment, I'm still keeping an eye on it.

I'm not sure, it comes and goes it seems. It confuses me, since inside her ears are perfectly clean - no build up, wax, flakes, crusties ect. I've been wiping the outside of her ears with a warm cloth, and that seems to help a bit.

I'm starting to think it could be dry skin too.. since there's no fur loss or anything, just the dandruff.. better to get it checked out though!

Thanks!

Back