Possible ear mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animaluver

Reaction score
My Dwarf Hotot rabbit has a brown dot in his ear and I was wondering if it was ear mites or a little bit of ear wax. I have heard that you can put olive or vegetable oil in his ear to drown the mites should I do that? In the picture the dot is next to his tatoo (POP) no it isn't ink from the tatoo so I was wondering what it was. ThanksImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1378518769.740713.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Should I try to put olive or vegetable oil on it? And it wasn't there before, so could it still be a freckle

I would personally wait a few days and see if anything else changes before I do or put anything on him. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

It has been there about two months and it hasn't changed.

Should I try to put olive or vegetable oil on it? And it wasn't there before, so could it still be a freckle

Well, sometimes as our bodies get older, they like to change on us ;)

If it hasn't changed in 2 months, its likely a skin spot, age spot, freckle, etc.
Also its best not to use oils for mites anyway.

Since it relates to the question I have a quick question. I have a rabbit with ear mites and I also have two that don't. I have them apart and am trying my best to stay clean, but what is the best treatment I can buy for this? I don't want to drive all the way to the vet and then pay at least 60 dollars on meds.

This is assuming my other two get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

What I did when one of my rabbits had ear mites is rub olive oil or vegetable oil on the inside of the ear. Make sure not to go too far into his ear. I use a cutip and rub the vegetable or olive oil on there. It drowns the mites before they get too bad do this every day and if it doesn't clear up in a while, you may need to get him checked by a vet.

This picture looks basically like a freckle to me, not like mites.

flemish giant, my personal favorite treatment for ear mites is a dose of revolution (selamectin). It's a parasiticide you apply topically (like advantage) but it is effective against ear mites and a single treatment usually does the trick. I'd give every rabbit a dose to be on the safe side. Unfortunately for you, it requires a veterinary prescription. If your vet is familiar with you, they may be willing to prescribe without an appointment. The major concern with the drug is that it is effective against heartworms in dogs and cats so they should not be given revolution without being heartworm tested. Some vets will give you a dose if you tell them it's for a rabbit without an appointment.

Is there anything I can get over the counter? My vet is an hour away and I hate that drive.

Your vet may also be able to suggest a dose of ivermectin which you could get at a feed store, but I don't personally like using it because you have to use such a small amount that it's hard to get the dose right and some vienna marked rabbits have had bad reactions to it.

Is there any vet closer to you? If you go to a dog and cat vet and ask, they may give you revolution just because you say it's for your rabbit. Alternatively you could order it online from one of those pet pharmacies if your vet ok's a prescription

I can ask the vet up the street

I can ask the vet up the street

Mineral oil will get rid of the ear mites. Sweetie had ear mites and I didn't have any money to take her to the vet, so I found out that mineral oil will get rid of ear mites. You have to do it for the entire life cycle of the ear mites, which is three weeks.

Latest posts

Back