Possible complications of brother-sister mating and pregnancy in young rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
I posted a bit ago (maybe a week or so - maybe more) that the gender fairy visited my Shasta. That being said, they have been separated andShiloh has been placed on pregnancy watch.

Shasta and Shiloh are approximately 18-weeks old as of today (4.5 months). They are most likely full siblings and are either 100% dutch or dutch mixes. Since they were rescues I don't have any history on them or their parents. Since they're still growing so rapidly I'm having trouble being certain as to whether or not Shiloh is indeed pregnant. I've held off going to the vet since I'd like the funds to be available should an emergency arise, but is a vet visit necessary during a possible pregnancy? Is there a way I can be sure that she is or isn't pregnant? I have no experience with pregnancy in rabbits.

If Shiloh is pregnant, am I looking at possible complications since she would have mated with her full brother? I've read that brother-sister matings are potentially dangerous - is this always the case? What should I watch out for? What other complications are possible? Will her age affect her pregnancy at all? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? Any and all information would be appreciated.

I'm responsible for this since I thought they were both female and had them housed as such. Therefore I want to ensure Shiloh's safety during the possible pregnancy as well as following it.

The main problem with brother sister breedings is that babiesmay have problems. The Does pregnancy shouldn't be affected by who she is bred to.

If you don't know how to palpate, the best you can do is just be prepared. Personally, I don't think you need to take her to the vet, as long as you are prepared incase she does kindle. 4.5 months isa little young to be bred in Dutch. Maybe too young to have "taken", but it can happen. Have a nest box of some kind available. I'd give it to her next week, unless you see any signs of nest building or fur pulling before that. I'd leave the nest box with her at least 35 days after you seperated them. If she doesn't kindle by then, your safe, get her spayed...

If she does kindle, don't be upset if the babies have difficulties. Brother/sister breedings tend to "intensify" any bad traits or genes present. In certain breeds, you'll may see a high incidence of "peanuts" (double dwarfing) or other genetic defects, depending on what what is behind them. None of this should affect Shiloh.

If she is pregnant just because she bred to her brother shouldn't be a problem.

Just because they are rescues doesn't mean they are siblings.

Put a nest box with some hay in the box inher cage. If she uses it for a potty clean it out. No reason to see the vet. How long ago did you seperate them. Did you see them do the deed?

Back