Possible Colors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
What would the possible kit colors be by breeding a sable point buck to a chocolate doe (mini rex)?

Sable Point Buck
SIRE: Sable Point; G.SIRE: Sable Point; G.Dam: Seal (GGParents: 3 Sable Points, 1 Seal)
DAM:Sable Point; G. Parents: All Sable Point (GGParents: A3 Sable Point,1 Sable)

Chocolate Doe
SIRE: Broken Chocolate; G.SIRE: Broken Chocolate; G.DAM: Siamese Sable (GGParents: Broken Chocolate, Chocolate, Sable Point - VC, Black Himalayan)
DAM: Chocolate; G.SIRE: Broken Chocolate; G.DAM: Chocolate (GGParents: All Chocolate)

Any ideas? :)

Black and black tort are probably most likely, possibly sable point. You won't get chocolate unless the sable point happens to carry chocolate (doesn't look like it).

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Black and black tort are probably most likely, possibly sable point. You won't get chocolate unless the sable point happens to carry chocolate (doesn't look like it).

Black and black tort are kind of what I hoped for. :) Chocolate wise, I have a pair of chocolates anyhow.

On the subject of torts, I've read that breeding blacks to torts (along with tort to tort) is allowed and shouldn't mess up the coloration, so does the same go if you bred a broken black to a solid tort? That would give you a chance of blacks, torts, and possible broken torts?

Yep, broken black to solid tort is fine. :)

The solid and broken factor doesn't affect the color of the rabbit at all. You just have to watch because in some breeds, certain colors are not accepted in one variety but are in another. For example, harlequin (solid tri) is not accepted or showable in Holland Lops. But tri (broken harlie) is accepted and is showable. So those are the only places that solid or broken differences would come into play.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Chocolate sable points and chocolate torts are not a recognized variety.
How do you know if it is a chocolate sable point vs black sable point? (and the same with chocolate vs black tort) Can you tell in the under coat? :?lol

You can easily tell by looking at them if they are chocolate torts or chocolate sable points! A chocolate tort looks from almost like a red to a darker chocolate shaded rabbit. A chocolate sablepoint is much lighter in color that a true sable point. Even if the offspring of this pairing did not show the chocolate they would all be carriers and would throw it. Here is a link to a web-site of a well know judge. There are lots of unrecognized varieties such as chocolate tort and chocolate sable point.

http://iris-patch.tripod.com/id54.htm

CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:
RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Chocolate sable points and chocolate torts are not a recognized variety.
How do you know if it is a chocolate sable point vs black sable point? (and the same with chocolate vs black tort) Can you tell in the under coat? :?lol

The points on the rabbit will look chocolate instead of black.

ChocTort-HHJoy2.jpg

Ok, so a friend of mine (who is also a breeder of MR) bred a tort buck to sable point doe..both I believe are black based in their colors.

Is that ok to bred tort to sable point? I've heard of breeding tort to tort and to black, but can you really mix them together without itresulting in unshowable babies? :?

CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:
Ok, so a friend of mine (who is also a breeder of MR) bred a tort buck to sable point doe..both I believe are black based in their colors.

Is that ok to bred tort to sable point? I've heard of breeding tort to tort and to black, but can you really mix them together without itresulting in unshowable babies? :?
I believe so. I hear of it being done all the time. There is someone who breeds their Lionheads and I see their babies on craigslist quite often. The only two colors they have are tort and sable point, and they get torts and sable points, and REWs because they carry for that also.

lelanatty wrote:
CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:

I believe so. I hear of it being done all the time. There is someone who breeds their Lionheads and I see their babies on craigslist quite often. The only two colors they have are tort and sable point, and they get torts and sable points, and REWs because they carry for that also.

Ah lol it just seemed odd but I guess depending on their backgrounds it wouldn't cause a problem. lol :)

Tort to SP should be fine. If the tort carries REW or SP then you will get torts and SPs. If not it should be mostly torts. A sable point is a torted sable.

Latest posts

Back