Possible bonding dilemma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oihane

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long post here. So I'm doing some research on bonding because of a possible dilemma I might be running into. So here's a little backstory:

First off, I live at home (hopefully for not much longer, but I got laid off, so that's put on hold till I find a decent job), and after my rabbit, Stu, died, I wasn't planning on getting any more rabbits or other animals (we have 2 cats and a bird otherwise) till I moved out, so I had more time and space for them.

Well, now I have a bunny...a mini rex that kind of got thrusted upon me...my cousin's gf got him at a pet store because she felt bad for him, and her mom was NOT happy about it, so I was called upon to give him a home, as it's sort of difficult to find many people who are willing to just take a rabbit. at least people she knows, anyway.

Sooo, he's 6 months old as far as we know, I've had him for about a couple weeks now, and I just got him neutered last week, as he was showing some aggressive/territorial/hormonal signs...ie circling me, trying to hump my feet, he was starting to spray a little (is it normal for them to spray if they get startled, or is that a purely hormonal thing?), and things like that...so I wanted to get it done quickly and get it over with. He's pretty nervous yet...he's relaxed a lot since I got him, but he's still pretty jumpy. He likes to be pet, but he's pretty jumpy about it till he figures out that my hands aren't going to hurt him. I'm hoping that the neutering will chill him out a little bit though, so we'll see.

Now, the possible dilemma. An acquaintance of mine (used to be a good friend...long story) has a neutered mini rex herself, one she got from the shelter. We don't know how old he is exactly, but I think he's fairly young, it certainly seems like it from his behavior. Well, she's going to school in North Carolina in january, and she doesn't think she can take the rabbit, so I'm hearing rumors from her roommate that she might ask me to take him, as I had just lost my rabbit. And I would've been fine with that, as I hadn't expected to get one of my own.

So I'm researching bonding because I know that IF she has to give this little guy to someone, it's probably going to have to be me, or the humane society again, which I don't want to have happen. But I'm concerned about my new little guy, and how he might react to her rabbit (his name is Baxter, btw. I haven't come up with a name yet for mine). I know it's possible to introduce 2 neutered male rabbits together, but I'm just worried that they might hate each other, and that might cause a lot of problems, cause my dad pretty much won't let me keep them anywhere else but my room, and my room's not exactly large.

So I'm wondering if there's any tips you guys might have for this...I know every rabbit's an individual, and I know there's a possibility that they just might hate each other and that's it. I'm just REALLY hoping they'll get along, cause otherwise that could be very difficult in the space I've got to work with right now. I know that I should introduce them in a neutral area, I read about taking them on a car ride, something uncomfortable...if I do that, should I have them in seperate kennels still? I would also be keeping them in seperate cages, but both in my room probably, so they'd see each other and all that right off the bat. My concern is also that I don't know their personalities very well yet...I've seen Baxter and interacted with him a bit, but he doesn't get a lot of attention where he lives now. I'm honestly hoping she gives him to me, cause he's not being very well taken care of at all. Like...she buys cigarettes before food for him, and his nails are seriously like an inch and a half long. it's terrible.

So yeah...any awesome advice you guys have to give here? lol...

2 neutered males can get along. There are some people on the forum who have done it. I don't have names on the top of my head right now, but I know there are a few.

It can take several weeks for the hormones to calm down. There should be some noticeable differences in about 4 weeks (1 month after the neuter).

As far as bonding goes, it is more about the personality of the individual rabbits than gender, breed or age. If you can, bring your rabbit to the other ones house and have a bunny 'date'. Put them on neutral ground and see what happens. You should wait a until about the new year so your rabbit can heal form the neuter. If they seem to get along, or at least ignore each other, then you could try bringing the other one home. If after a month or 6 weeks, they are not getting along, you can then re-evaluate your situation with the rabbits.

They will need to be kept in separate cages until bonded

Back