Posing Hollands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
Hey, like I said a little while back, I got a new trio of Hollands. The two black torts are show quality, and I've been working with them a bit. The thing is, I don't really know how to make them pose. They hardly do it by themselves. The little doe hasn't ever done it, as far as I know. I know you're supposed to let them relax, and i've done that, but all they start doing is stretching out to sniff everything! Any help?

Thanks!

~*Kiya*~

I always wnated to know this too! If I ever try to pose my rabbits (for fun, or to take a pic) they either run off or get grumpy with me and bite my finger.

i guess it comes with practice. . .and you do have to work with them.

when i bred hollands i would set them on the table facing me. then i would put one hand on their back, and one hand under their chin. then in a firm, but gental motion, i would bring their head up and their butt in some. the most common mistake new breeders make when posing hollands is that they bring the head up to high and push the back in to much, it ruins the topline and the rabbits don't look right.

you don't want to sit them up to far, or push them to far down. they might fight with you, paw at you or nip you, but i found that if you just keep on reworking them then they will get sick of fighting with you and do it, if it is majorly stressing them out, or they keep fight with you for more then a few minutes, put them back and keep working with them.

As Katt mentioned, it does take some practice to get a feel with it. Face the rabbit in the direction that you feel most comfortable (I face them to my left). Grasp the head or under the chin to encourage them to sit up. Katt had already mentioned no to push the butt far in because it makes them look undercut or chopped off at the hindquarters. Very common mistake beginners make. Also don't push at the chest.

For anyone familiar with riding horses, you'll know what I'm talking about here -- You don't want the rabbit leaning forward and pushing into your hand (leaning into the "bit"). It hollows out their back and makes them look terrible, so you want to encourage them to "give" and shift their weight to their hindquarters so they'll round their back out.

I often grasp the head and lift at the butt, dropping it gently. They'll generally sit up if you "butt bump" them a couple times. (Hard to explain, I'll have to get photos sometime). Also works very well in getting their attention when they want to sniff the table and the"butt bump" discourages them from leaning into your hand. This doesn't work with hyper Hollands, which in some cases are impossible to pose at all. When I'm judging those, I often just place them back in the hole and let them sit up on their own so I can evaluate them.

Remember, that the great ones are "built to pose" -- you simply place them on the table and they automatically pose on their own.

Don't over-handle them. If you get them to pose once, reward them by putting them away. Over-handled rabbits (especially Hollands)can get frustrated and belligerent.

Pam

I ride a quarter horse- I know what your talking about. I guess I'll have to work with them a lot!

Thanks!

~*Kiya*~

Latest posts

Back