posed pictures at last

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I wish i had put more effort into posing them when they loked more compact but here we go. Netherland Dwarf kits at 6 weeks:

Max
Image0292.jpg

Moritz
Image0296.jpg

Belle
Image0309.jpg

Polly aka Jiggly Pop
Image0312.jpg

Jack
Image03020.jpg

I am keeping Max and Polly. Hope it's the right decision

Ohmygod. xD Look at those ears.

I dunno how the scene is over here, but I know in the US the current fad is these mini 1 inch ears. It's so crazy to see a litter that doesn't have them.

I like polly much more now. Out of all of them, she's got the best ears. Decently shaped, and look pretty thick. As far as general type, the two sisters are pretty close.

Obviously, you've made your decision, but I like Moritz now a lot more than Max. Max is starting to get long and lanky, while Moritz is staying shorter. I can't decide on the heads between the two yet. Moritz has a more developed head now, for his age, than the other. But that can always change.

I am actually a bit shocked myself how long the ears appear in the pictures. I think 2 inch is the max they can have. Max and Moritz's ears seem still rather neat but the other three suddenly look rather racy. I am planning to sell Jack as a pet and keep one REW (Polly more than likely)as a brood doe. I am still dithering over whether to keep Max or Moritz:? Small ears are the desired feature here too. So yeah that's something to work on:)

The bottom picture is Moritz. XD
I'm pretty sure...

And the top photo... I'd guess mortiz is closer, and Max is further... But it's so hard to tell with little 6 week olds. LOL!

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Ohmygod. xD Look at those ears.

I dunno how the scene is over here, but I know in the US the current fad is these mini 1 inch ears. It's so crazy to see a litter that doesn't have them.

The "fad" isn't the standard. The ears should balance with the head and be an ideal length of 2 inches. I fault "mouse" ears for lack of balance with the head. (Maximum is 2 1/2).

An yes, thebabies in those first photos do have ears that are way too long.

I like Moritz because he appears to have a bolder head and bigger bone as well as a shorter ear.

Belle's and Jack's ears are probably close to 2 inches already. Maybe if they didn't grow much more they may still turn out rather decent?
I'll see now how the next litters (both girls bred to my "back up buck")are going to look like, He was a rather gawky looking youngster but turned into a handsome buck who may even be superior to the (for now) main buck.

o.o; That may be you, Pam, but all the judges out here are looking for tiny ears. The standard 2 inch ears are being faulted. Even if they balance.

It's not my opinion- it's what the Standard states. ;)Taking short ears to the extreme is to be avoided, or we'll end up with Netherlands with only rudimentary ear bumps.

Even though some ears look rather short, they are actually close to the 2" ideal when you put a ruler to them. Rarely do I see the tiny mouse ears.

I must have a really bad eye for the details but I am amazed people can distinguish between Max and Moritz when I can't:? Max used to look shorter but things seeme to have evened out.

The bottom picture is Moritz. XD
I'm pretty sure...

And the top photo... I'd guess mortiz is closer, and Max is further... But it's so hard to tell with little 6 week olds. LOL!
That'd be my guess to. Max's nose looks like it points out more.

pamnock wrote:
o.o; That may be you, Pam, but all the judges out here are looking for tiny ears. The standard 2 inch ears are being faulted. Even if they balance.

It's not my opinion- it's what the Standard states. ;)Taking short ears to the extreme is to be avoided, or we'll end up with Netherlands with only rudimentary ear bumps.

Even though some ears look rather short, they are actually close to the 2" ideal when you put a ruler to them. Rarely do I see the tiny mouse ears.
I know it's what the standard states. But I do know the difference between 2 inch ears, and 1 1/2 inch ears. More than half of my herd is at 2 inches, maybe 2 1/4. But the difference between that, and (sorry for the photo) itty bitty mouse ears.

That's what I'm seeing around. And in my experience, at the last 6 months of shows, it's what they've been looking for.

I think I can see the bit about the nose now. I must keep watching it and see if the differences become more distinct.
No fear that my lot end up with little mouse ears:biggrin:

pamnock wrote:

got to laugh Pam at the ear bumps comment I actually saw that in my head and nearly fell over laughing!! That would not be pretty!

Sabine I prefer Moritz if you dont want him I will take him off your hands if you come to lanark at the start of July :biggrin::innocent:p

Edit to add wow Megan just saw the picture you added in tbh that looks awful it really takes away from the balance of the rabbit im glad that craze isnt over here!!

also added my K's in my Keyboard doesnt like that button unless you hit it hard!!

Thanks Polly, I will seriously consider Moritz for keeps. By the way I hope you don't mind me calling Jiggly Pop Polly in the end:)

Is that 10 July? I would really really love to. Will hopefully know whether I can afford to in the next few weeks. I really want to drive so I can take something or somebun home with me:)

Back