POOR POOR RUSSEL!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusselandRoxy

Reaction score
When i went down to feed Russel this morning, inoticed he was extremely quiet and didn't jump up at me like usual. Ibrought him inside, he was very cold. I gave him his food and a hug,told my parents to keep an eye on him and left for school in hope hewas just cold. When i got home, i asked how he was and they said he'dbeen quiet all day and had had a runny nose. I picked him up and hestarted sneezing so we rung the vet. While waiting, we noticed he had avery swollen left side of the face. The vet gave him some antibioticsand painkillers and looked inside his mouth but russel was fidgetingtoo much. He thinks it may have been caused by biting his own mouthaccidentally, a bite from another animal or a tooth infection. Othersymptoms were crusty bit just below his nose and a bit of green stuffstuck to his coat below his mouth. If anyone has any further ideas ofwhat this could be, that would be great! Thanks, Leanne xxx

My female doe has had two abcesses on the side ofher cheek. She acted similarly although she didn't have arunny nose. Vet had to drain both of them under sedation onboth occasions. Hope everything is okay.

P.S. The first time she had one, she was quiet. The second one I caught earlier before she got to that stage.

no, i havent read about her, where could i do that? Do you know how long the abcess. if thats what it is, takes to heal?

how did you catch the absess before, what are the other symptons shehad as i only noticed this morning that he was even quiet, he was finebefore then.

leanne xxx

Please please help. can this always be treated?How was yours treated? I am so worried about him, hes drooping his headand appears to be worse??? HELPP!!!:(

IMO...call the vet!!

If a visit isn't deemed necessary thenthey should be able togive you some directionsof what to do. Is the vet rabbitsavy??

This is probably something that homecare should be considered as secondoption. Medications and/or surgery should be the primary concern of thevet followed by a bout of homecare by you.

The first time Daisy had one she was very quiet and not interested in anything - didn't eat much.

The second time I noticed the lump straight away as I check herthoroughly since the first one. On both occasions she had tohave antibiotics for ages.

I have been to the vet and he was givenanti-biotics and painkillers but he doesnt appear to be himself still.I am not definate it is an abscess but it probably is, thanks for thelinks. No, he doesnt seem to have been pooping at all. And i dont thinkhis front legs are matted, any further help is appreciated. We arere-visiting the vet tomorrow, will he be ok til then? Leanne xxx

Is your vet a RABBIT SAVVY vet? or is he just a dog/cat vet? Rabbits need an exotics' vet.

His head..... is it drooping or is it tilting a bit (like are his ears where they should be or off to one side?)

It's ok that he's only eating hay for now. Andthe vet it probably right about the little guy not eating much becauseof the pain. At least he hasn't stopped eating altogether. Eating theHay will keep his tract running. Poops are proportionate toeating...eat little = poop little.

Is he drinking at all??

his head just seemed in an odd way for a bitearlier, i think it was tilting rather than drooping, its back up nowthough. My vet is just an ordinary vet, I've no idea where to look fora exotics vet to be honest. I think he may be drinking a bit, i haventseen him but i think my mum said he drank a bit earlier. Leanne xxx

I'm getting ready to head for home. I'll try to log on a bit later. Keep us updated.

Parting note: Keep the bunnie hydrated. You may have to use a syringeto force some fluids (pedialyte is good.... or water if that's all youcan get your hands on). Just be very careful, because the bunnie canbreathe the liquids into their lungs. So don't actually force it. Justget a little into his mouth and let him drink it ...go slowly.

Also you might try to mix some pellets with water to make a mush. See if he'll eat that because it's soft.

Good luck and I'll check with you later!!!

~Jim

I hope your right about the drinking. If you'reusing a bottle for water, you can mark the level and the check it fromtime to time. Use a washable/non-toxic marker or just a piece of tape.

You might want to clean out the litter pan so you can monitor his poops, too!

And try the pellet mush.

We'll do our best to get Russel through this.

~Jim

oh thanks so much for your help, unfortunately wedont use pellets but just russel rabbit food and blueberry warren. Cani try anything with any of that. I will do the bottle marking if i canfind somewhere to put the bottle. When he is inside he drinks from adish so its quite hard to do so.

Leanne xxx

Latest posts

Back