Poor Nibbles!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been back to the vets today. she is improving alot and has another weeks work of antibiotics and i have also beengiven some eye drops for her, they said i could put them round theyeyes too to help soften it and they should help clean it.

Her eyes arent crusted together but they dont open very far and arevery hard round the outside and other than that shes doing good

Leanne :)

Great news Leanne.

Our Benji had a runny eyes (ended up being hay dust irritation) and we used saline solution to rinse them.

I would apply it over his eye and let it rundown.Iused gause pads to clean and dry ascottonballs can leave fibers behind that can add to theirritation.

Hmmm, i am a bit annoyed. Yesterday they told uswe could get the eye drops today as they didnt have any in, so we wentto get them and they still dont have them so i cannot collect them tilmonday!! :X

Nibbles isnt doing very well at the moment. Hereyes will hardly open, she wont eat much and wen she tries, it makesher have a sneezing fit. So far today, i have done the steaming 3times, given her eye drops (which she was as good as gold having) andshes had the usual injection. I have tried to make her eat and shereally did try but found it difficult.
Shes got a very blocked nose again, any ideas on how i can help to ease this? Is there any products i could use to help??
Leanne x

Poor girl! Did your vet figure outexactly what was causing this? Did he do a culture to findout the exact bacteria? If not, then call him aboutit. It could be that the antibiotic is not the right one forthe job.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/eyes.html

This article says to flush the tear ducts. It also says thatshaving the fur and anti-inflamatory treatments may be needed becausethe excess tears can irritate the skin.

For now, have you tried putting a warm, moist cloth on hereyes? It might help loosen up any crud or at least make herskin feel a little better.

naturestee wrote:
Poor girl! Didyour vet figure out exactly what was causing this? Did he doa culture to find out the exact bacteria? If not, then callhim about it. It could be that the antibiotic is not theright one for the job.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/eyes.html

This article says to flush the tear ducts. It also says thatshaving the fur and anti-inflamatory treatments may be needed becausethe excess tears can irritate the skin.

For now, have you tried putting a warm, moist cloth on hereyes? It might help loosen up any crud or at least make herskin feel a little better.
No the vet didnt do a culture, we are going back on Friday so if thingsarent clearing up, i will ask him about it then. He said thathe thought it was a case of pasteurella and prescribed the antibioticsand eyedrops but today is the first day i have used the eye drops so itwll be a few days before i can really tel if they are working.
Thanks for the article, i will read that in a minute and what does it mean by flushing the tear ducts?

I am doing everything i can to help her at the moment including bathingher eyes but its very difficult but iwill be sure to try the warm clothagain.

Leanne x

p.s. any ideas about unblocking her nose?

edit: i got her too eat some apple which she really enjoyed;)

Good to hear she's eating. I'm not sure aboutunblocking her nose but when my cat had feline flu we were told thatlocking him in a cat carrier andthen puttingasteaming bowl of herbs afew feet away might help unblock his nose buti'm not sure if that would be ok for rabbits.:?Hope somebodyelse has some good advice.

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Good to hear she's eating. I'm not sure about unblocking hernose but when my cat had feline flu we were told that locking him in acat carrier andthen puttinga steaming bowl of herbsafew feet away might help unblock his nose but i'm not sure if thatwould be ok for rabbits.:?Hope somebody else has some goodadvice.
Yeh thats what i have been doing a few times a day - withoutthe herbs. I lock her in a carrier in a black bag filled with steamfrom the kettle. It helps a little but shes still heavybreathing a lot.
Thanks
leanne

when Eddy had a stuffy nose a few weeks ago myvet wouldnt see him because we didnt have money, so my hubby rubbedsome mentholatum on his fingers and put it by his nose. it made hisnose run a little so we got a washcloth wet with hot water and put somementholatum on it and put it a couple inches away from his nose. withina half hour his nose was clear. then we put up one of those machinesthat send out puffs of steam (cant think of what its called) we putwater and mentholatum in there and he would go lay by it when his nosewould stuff up. he was smart enough to figure out that would unplug hisnose. that might work for you too. my vet said that it may help to dothat but where they werent sure why he had a stuffy nose they wouldntgive me a 100 percent ok but it was my only choice at the time and itworked really well.

Oh God! I'm so sorry!!!!

:sad:

My heart goes out to you. I don't know what to say. How devastating.

:bigtears:

-Carolyn

naturestee wrote:
Oh no! I'm so sorry. Did all your bunsget tested or just those two? Is there a way to manage thedisease?

:sad:

Again, I'm so, so sorry.
just those two got tested as they live together, none of theothers have any symptoms nor do they go near nibbles and roxy althoughi am sure to keep an eye out.

Actually i am very angry, our vet was away while we had a stand by vetfor the last few weeks. He diagnosed us with the wrong thing (snuffles)and gave us the wrong medication (which came to £40) and she hs been onit for nearly 2 weeks now,

theres a small chance some new medication she has been put on couldcure her but it is so bad it is unlikely and might have been caughtearlier if it wasnt for the other vet. Roxy's case is very minor at themoment - just a small bit of discharge round the eyes so she wasgivensome injections and hopefully will work through it.

I am going back to the vets on Saturday and have been told to prepare for the worst with Nibbles,

Leanne :?

Back