Poor little runt kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a liiter of 7 mini and holland lop cross babies. They all seems to be different sizes with the largest being about 8.5cm long and the smallest barely 5cms. I am really worried about this little runt as it's very skinny and always 'honking'
and sounding hungry when I go look in the nest. I have been holding him on the mother rabbits stomach every day around 11am for an extra feed until I see a fat stomach of milk but it doesn't seem to be helping. He is wrinkled and skinny looking today, he looked better yesterday although still small. I don't think he would be a peanut as he seems just as well formed as the others. He poos and pees well (he peed all over me yesterday). He is 5 days old and doesn't seem to have grown any bigger in those 5 days. Is that the sign of a peanut? Or just a malnourished kit? Here is is yesterday, he is the one with white, and is next to a bigger kit. The difference looks much worse today and I will see if I can get a picture later.

mini-DSC04783.jpg

One of the signs of a peanut is their inability to flourish. They can't develop like other babies. I think that you may indeed have a peanut. However, if it were a litter of mine, I would be doing the same thing. Good luck.

Sharon

Aw, bless his little heart. That's gotta be hard for you, even though you're doing everything you can.

That tortie colored baby is beautiful! Do you have a pic of the others?

Hi thanks for the replies ;)

He seems to be growing but it is hard for me to tell. He has a tumy full of milk right now and looks content, if a baby rabbit can have expressions!

He doesn't have small ears, they are the same size as the others. His hip area seems to be a good size as well so I am hoping that he is just being pushed around by the others.

I have three of that 'tort' colour (we call it sooty fawn here) and it's extremly common and I dont actually like it much myself, although it is pretty on the babies. I have many more pics of them in the blog section, I think it's called "New borns blog" or something like that :cool:. Here is that same bunny from above, it's the fatty of the group.

DSC04800.jpg

Hiya pipp,

Yep he is still hanging on :D. He is small but seems to be growing at his own rate. I tried to get pictures but when they are this age all the want to do is curl up and snuggle away so it was a bit tricky. This is the best I could do:

DSC05029.jpg

DSC05035.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

He's at the bottom right of the above picture, and obviosuly is the smaller one in the other two.

Latest posts

Back