Poor Daisy has weeping eye!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Bunny

Reaction score
So my poor bun has a weepy eye! It was a little wet the last few days but then today BAM! Flooding all over!!! Her eye was just so wet, poor girl! So we took her to the vet said it could be an infection, gave us eye drops and antibiotics. Her eye is basically red and weepy (teary) - no white gunk.

I'm so terrified it could be caused by the tooth hitting the tear duct. But he said it's unlikely since she's so young and statiscally happens in older rabbits (she's almost 6 months). If it IS caused by a tooth, do they do tooth removal or ?

Any other possible causes? Just want to be prepared for what it could be...

Hopefully it clears up in a few days on the meds. Otherwise she is normal (well a little stressed out today - she HATED the vet trip!!!) But eating and pooping as normal and jumping. Just more shy cause of the stress of the day.

Maybe she was injured by a piece of hay poking her in the eye??
Dental issues are a possibilitybut your vet is probably right that overgrown tooth roots may occur when a bun is a little older.

I had a rabbit who used to need to have his tear ducts flushed. He would get an infection in the duct which would caused it to plug up and then his eye would weep.
he was treated by a tear duct flush and an eye drop but it reoccured frequently

I hope that your bunny responds to the present treatment. :)

They take a tiny syringe, insert it into the lacrimal duct( tear duct) and just shoot a little normal saline through it .

Not all vets( I have found ) know how to do it.

Well i am happy to say that Daisy's eye is almost back to normal!!!! She's running around like crazy (she was sad for a few days and was keeping to herself).

Now just wondering how long to wait to get her spayed? She was supposed to have her surgery last Friday. She is 6 months old now.

Latest posts

Back