Poopy butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissPepper

Reaction score
My bunny's seem to do fine, there is one thing: i wonder if i can do something to help my bunny. Furby sometimes has softer poop. It sticks to her butt.
I wash her, after that she's ok.

Does she need more wood chips? Is this a common problem?

Do not use wood shavings in your bunny cage. They emit gases which are toxic to most small animals and can cause respiratory illnesses. i use wood pellets, there much safer. the litter box might need to be changed more often, so your bunny is not sitting on poo. or take it too the vet, she might be sick.

Can you give us some details on her diet? Too many pellets, regardless of quality, can cause loose poop. Generally the bottom line is not enough long strand fiber (i.e. hay), but with more details it might be easier to pinpoint the cause.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering. I use sawdust, sorry that translation was wrong.

They both eat the same. I give them hay, straw, pallets, veggies like carrots, cauliflower, brocoli, etc. and parsley and basil leaves. Snickers does not have the same problem.

How is the hay-eating? Plentiful? Poop stuck to the fur is almost always diet related.

I would perhaps try dark leafy green veggies to substitute the broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. They can be a gas-producing, and any pain can slow the gut and result in messy/unformed cecotropes. Transition slowly of course. Herbs are great! Limit the pellets to a couple of tablespoons until the loose poops dry up. Make sure the pellets are timothy based, not alfalfa. Of course unlimited hay. If you know this stuff, my apologies for coming across as a know-it-all, I just wanted to cover the basics.

Some bunnies just have more sensitive stomachs than others, it sounds like Furby may be one of those. If the above doesn't work within a few days, it's time to see a vet for a overall physical, but specifically a dental exam with an otoscope (not just visual).

Carrots are high in sugars and should NOT be given to rabbits daily. The carrot tops are fine though. Broccoli could be the problem, since it can cause gas. some rabbits digestive systems are more sensitive then others. I'm pretty sure sawdust is still bad for them, because it's a so dusty the rabbits might inhale some and get respitory problems.

Thanx for the pointers, i will take a look at the pellets and veggies. What kind of greens do you suggest?

I am gonna give her less pellets and see how she does.
The sawdust is sprinkled in the cage, just for absorbation. Than straw and hay are on top of it plenty. Hope to see a change next week or so. Will go to vet if she still has that problem.

On occasion some rabbits may be sensitive to certain types of forage, greens, herbs, and veggies(and even some types of hay), which can result in mushy poop(cecal dysbiosis), but most often it is due to too many sugars/starches in the diet. This can come from treat foods such as fruit, grains, and starchy veggies like carrots, and/or it can be due to the added sugars/starches in pellets. I would cut out the carrots and any other sugary/starchy treats, and at least reduce the pellets a little to see if that resolves the issue. If not or with a more severe case, usually a free fed grass hay only diet is needed to help correct the microflora imbalance in the cecum that is causing the cecotropes to come out malformed and mushy(wrong bacteria in the cecotropes = rabbit doesn't eat them). Once the correct microflora is restored and the mushy poop problem resolves, then other foods can be gradually added back into the diet one at a time starting with small amounts, though in some instances certain foods still can't be tolerated and they should be cut from the rabbits diet completely.

If trying a hay only diet or even reduced pellets with free fed grass hay, it is essential to ensure the rabbit is eating the hay very well or this could result in the rabbits digestive tract slowing down and eventually going into stasis(a life threatening condition). It is also important to monitor the rabbits behavior to make sure no lethargy or unusual behavior changes occur. Regularly weighing the rabbit to ensure a healthy weight is maintained, should also be done.

These links better explain the cause of cecal dysbiosis and how to correct it.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/
http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/cecal-dysbiosis-in-house-rabbits-what-the-hay/

Keep in mind though, that in some cases it is a health problem or parasites that cause the mushy poop, some of which can be life threatening. So if in doubt at all, go see a rabbit savvy vet.

she is doing better. I am happy to report that. Will keep an eye on it though.
Probably she is more sensitive than her sister.
Thanx so much for your pointers ! That really helped.

I am happy to report Furby is doing fine. She must have been sensitive.
Last Wednesday we went to the vet. Her weight is ok. So i am just so happy
with Furby's progression.

Latest posts

Back