poopy butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
I have noticed several soft smelly stools in thelitter box. And today Blackie had a poopy butt. I think I gave him toomany treats (high carb treats). I have stopped the treats but waswondering how long before his stool is back to normal? I think theabove poop is cecotropes he is not eating. He is also havingnormal FECAL PELLETs.

Thank you,

Mary

I'd give him a lot of fiber (grass hay) at thispoint, Blackiesmum. You could also give him some oldfashioned Quaker oats. That helps things dry up a bittoo. Make sure he's drinking his water and if he isn't,syringe feed it to him. If he does have the runs, it'll bevery important to keep him hydrated.

You should notice a difference within 24 hours or so. You'reright, too much veges and treats can cause runny stools.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

It should only be a few days before he is backto normal. I experienced the same thing when I gave Apollo one too manytreats lol. Just keep an eye on it, it should clear up.

Tina

I just gave my bunny a but bath yesteday. shegets so dirty and i worry about the fly problem. She dontlike a bath but what else can i do. I dont give treats just pellets andtimothy hay but my bunny is a little on the big side (well fed) Shedont get as myuch now that i relize i was overdoing it.

I also cut some hair around her bottom. I read somewhere i think that ican put vasoline on her? Could someone let me know if thats correctplease.

good luck with your bunny, hope it clears up.

Cristy

mygrl2k3,

My Foo Foo doesn't like to be handled. Could you tell me howyou do the butt bath? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this is right or not. But I usedbaby diaper wipes to clean Blackie'sdirty butt.They worked great and his hair dried very fast when I was done.

Thanks everyone for the advice. This bunny care can get difficult at times and I worry so about him.

Mary

My bunny Luv dont really mind being handled butdont care alot for the bath. I just put water in the sink with somegentle baby shampoo and used a washrag to soften the mess and after sheis clean there i rinse and dry her. She does kick so gets more water onher than she should.

Cristy

foofoosmom1,

Spot bathing your rabbit is often recommended as it's less stressful onthe rabbit, and you have to be careful of the soap bothering the oilsin the skin and fur.

Blackiesmum,

Personally, I would've gone for a towel and spot-bathed Blackie with amild soap and lukewarm water. I know people have used babywipes, but personally, I try to keep it as organic as possible.

-Carolyn

Just an update. For about 48 Blackie had normalpoop. Today when I checked there was smeared stool ( verysmelly) in his play area. Is there a reason he might not be eating thececotropes ? He is not overweight at least I don't think so.

Thanks

Mary

Are you feeding pellets with more than16% protein? That may be a contributory factor,especially if Blackie is an adult, with less protein need than ayoungster. Or, you may be simply feeding too much feed forhim to deal with. One ounce per pound of rabbit isrecommended, then adjust from there, up or down. Some rabbitssimply metabolize their food more efficiently than others, therebyneeding less.

Buck

its been four days and my bunnys but is stillclean yeah!!!! I am feeding her alot less these days. I still have tolook at the ingreidents of the bag and it has no expirationdate. So i need to maybe start looking at other brands.

Cristy

Blackie is about 8 months old the pellets I feed him are Buckeye Rabbit pellets.

INGREDIENTS: Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls,Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Heat Processed Soybean, YuccaSchidigera Extract, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, ZincOxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite,Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein, Minimum
16.00%
Crude Fat, Minimum
2.50%
Crude Fiber, Minimum
15.00%
Crude Fiber, Maximum
18.00%
Calcium, Minimum
0.60%
Calcium, Maximum
0.90%
Phosphorus, Minimum
0.50%
Salt, Minimum
0.30%
Salt, Maximum
0.80%
Vitamin A, Minimum
2000 IU/lb*

Does this seem like a good pellet for him? I wanted to trythe Oxbow but there is no one that carries them close to where I live.Also I have been giving unlimited pellets, at his age should I belimiting the amount?

Thank you,

Mary

Ingredients seem fine to me.Maybe, it is time to no longer free feed and try the oneounce per pound method. OxBow and other major feed producers will oftenship, if you're willing to pay the costs entailed.

Sometimes dates on feed indicated by month and two last digits ofyear. Have also seen it dated by the consecutive numbered dayof the year(1-365)followed by last two digits of the year(04)...mightlook like, "15704," meaning the 157th day of 2004.Companies do not necessarily make it easy for you to determine thedate, so as to obscure the freshness factor in the case the feed hasbeen laying around for a period of time.

One to three months old is the recommended purchase freshness range,with the lower numbers preferred obviously. I usually break a50 pound bag into smaller segments and freeze the feed for up to oneyear without loosing too much nutritional value by the time it is used.

Buck

I don't have a scale so can anyone tell me abouthow much 3 1/2 oz. of rabbit pellets would be? like a 1/3 ofa cup or less?

Thanks,

Mary

Latest posts

Back