Poopy butt/not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hln917

Reaction score
Hi~ Simba my 4 yr lionhead did not touch her pellets nor hay last nite. He did eat his red leaf lettuce. I also notice he has a poopy butt. Cecal and wet poop stuck to the butt. I tried to pull off as much as he'll let me. I will have to wait till the husband come home to help clean him. I did give him some gas meds this morning. I just checked on him and he still hasn't touched his food. He did pee and poop a little. I also gave him a very small amount of oats to see if he has an appetite and he did eat them. We have a vet appt in the morning. However, any suggestion till I get him in tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Offer fresh hay and water all the time. Also you may need to force feed oxbow critical care if he doesn't start eating today. I always put a hot water bottle next to my bun when he is not feeling well. Hope she feels better soon..

I would suggest getting him in to the vet today, mention it is an emergency as your bun has stopped eating and has runny poop.

Mushy poop by itself may not be critical and usually has to do with a diet issue. But when it is coupled with a loss of appetite, I find that very concerning, as it can sometimes be due to coccidia or a pathogenic bacteria, both of which are extremely serious and can be fatal if not treated promptly and correctly. Another possibility would be mycotoxins(moldy food) or spoiled food causing the digestive upset and lack of appetite, which are also very serious.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

When seeing your vet, it would be a good idea to bring a fresh fecal sample with you to be tested, in case your bun doesn't provide one at the vet office.

Latest posts

Back