Pooping inside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
Ok, our 3 bunnies have an outdoor pen, 5x5 ft, with an attached house. They have always had one corner of the pen as their "potty area" which was cleaned out regularly.

When we had the bad rain storms a few months ago (literally 3 weeks of rain, almost 24/7) they started pooping and peeing in their house. I completely scrubbed and cleaned it. Used Nature's Miracle to disinfect it and allowed it to air dry completely. Still pooping in the house. Did the entire process again, scrubbing the crap out of it, this time blocking them out of the house completely for about 4 days so that they had no choice to potty outside. everything seemed to be going good. 2 days ago it rained and POOF. back to pottying in the house again.

any suggestions? the house is solid wood, top completely opens for cleaning. Im at my wits end. Winter is coming and I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to want to sleep outside when it's cold. (that's what they are doing now. sleeping outside and using the house as a litter box) :?

How big is the house? If it is not big enough for them to max out(my lingo for lay/rest) and have a litter box can you make a new one decently cheap? Even just take one end off and add on?

Find the corner they potty in, put a box with which ever litter works best/you perfer and clean it however often it is needed. Then the box is not nasty and all you have to do is dump, rinse/clean, refill and place back in the plastic nest box every few days or so.

Rabbits usually do not potty in their favroite areas, but it sounds like they are only doing it when they have to stay in. Afterwards it just becomes happen.

it's more than big enough. I don't remember the exact dimensions at the moment. but they all 3 slept in it for over a year.

like I said, it started when we went through all the rain. Now, they don't go in it at all except to potty. I also tried putting some poop back into their "old" potty spot. That helped until the next time it rained. then back to pottying in the house.

how big would you recommend for the house?I think it's about 2.5X3

That is a great size, if you ask me. Are they just pottying in all diffrent spots, or just one corner? At that size I would just pop a small, yet big enough, plastic cat litter box in it with whatever bedding you perfer - aspen, pine, carefred, feline pine, newspaper, ect - and hopefully that would work.

they have turned the whole inside into a litter box. I thought that nature's miracle would kill the scent. but nope. actually blocking them out of the house for the few days got them back into going outside. That lasted about a month. Then poof, going back inside again.

I will try sitting them up a litter pan and see if that helps. They have all always used one corner of the cage for pottyying. They cage is on the ground, dirt floor. it used to be grass but they ate it all. That's when we found out that it's too heavy to move. Esp with the attached house. It has a covered top, so it stays dry inside. well, unless there is a really strong blowing wind. Or a monsoon of 3 straight weeks of rain lol

oh, another thing I tried was removing all the bedding from inside the house, but it made no difference. they just went on the bare floor.

scrubbed out the building, put in a litter box. checked it this afternoon and pee all over the floor. scrubbed it up, put the poop pile in the litter pan.

this is going to be a long process I think....

Latest posts

Back