Poop problems :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but with most of the forum still down Ican't find it. Ella just had what looks like runny diarrhea. The vet is closed and I don't know what to do. We haven't been feeding her anything different. Can anyone help? What can I do until tommorrow when I can take her to the vet?

Hmm, I'm not an expert but I would give her Pedialyte for rehydration, stop he veggies and feed lots of hay.

You can always give her a dose of simeticone for any gas.

I hope Ella feels better soon:)

I agree. Stop feeding everything but hay and give her some pedialyte. Are you sure it is diarrea or does it look like a bunch of grapes all stuck together?

Sharon

Yep, push the hay big time, I'd even take away the pellets for tonight, that way she has to eat hay, which she needs.

Make sure she's getting water, you could add some pedialyte to the water.

Keep us posted.

Just trying to help buck rogers get a little more advice.......Ella has a new friend in the house....Murphy moved in a week and a half ago...there cages are right next to eachother....both buns are fixed.......possibly stress from new bun in the house?.....if so, what to do to? How can he help ella/prevent this from leading into gi stasis? Anyone?

Thanks in advance for any advice u may have.

If they're not bonded and Murphy's okay, then he can stay home... unless you want to bond them, then the car ride would be good, they usually cuddle together on trips like that.

But I'd bring a fresh poop of his with you for the vet to run under the microscope.

And yes, it can just be stress.

Are there normal poops as well as the runny stuff? If she's a hay eater and she's drinking and putting out normal poops,should clear up soon.

sas

Thanks everyone, there are normal poops and she has been eating more hay lately then usual since the new bun came home. And she has still been very active tonight. I'm still going to take her to the vet tommorr and be sure to bring a saple of the new buns poop. Thank again everyone.

update: just checked Ella's litter box and lots of normal poops. not even a little runny.

OK so we just got back from the vets....
I only brought Ella because I was by myself and didn't want to be stressed out bringing them both....(Jay's at work)

She said Ella has more of a bacteria that's usually found in their bodies???? I might be wrong that's what I got out of it anyway. She said this could be caused by stress. And that Ella was very bloaded. The doctor checked Murphy's poop as well and he doesn't have it.

I also noticed Ella's eye looked red while we were waiting....the doctor looked at it and said she had a very mild case of a word I forgot that is making one of her eyes run a little and appear red when yu open them. Anyways, she gave us Sulfa-Trim Nova and said that should clear up both problems. We have to give it to her every 12hrs for 7 days so I think I have to wait until 6pm to give it to her because thats the time when Jay and I will both be home together. Then that would work for giving it to her at 6am every morning too. Do you guys think it's ok if I wait until 6pm? I've never given her medicine and know I wont be able to do it by myself.....she pooped this morning and just ate some parsley and dill....the doctor said not to take her veggies away. Now she's sitting on the second floor of her cage being mad at me.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering... we were planning on starting the official bonding process with Ella and Murphy this weekend but....do you guys think we should hold off until ella's eye and bacteria problems are gone? She'll be on her medication for the next seven days. She's been eating, pooping and playing like normal but we don't want to cause any more stress to her system...Any suggestion/advice would be great! thank you in advance.:)

I personally would wait with the bonding. But then I am a huge worrier about my bunnies and would be concerned that it could be something catching.

Also, if she is not feeling 100% she may not act, or smell, as she normally would, which could confuse any bonding you have already done by the time she feels better.

But that's only an opinion.

Just another small update, gave Ella her medicine just now and have become an even stronger advocate of getting your rabbit used to being picked up and handled. Even though we've been trying to get her use to being handled (while trying not to bug her too much) since we got her she was still more than a handfull:?.

Latest posts

Back