Pooing/peeing outside of the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayen

Reaction score
Alright, ever since I moved their cage and cleaned everything up my adorable bunny Briar has been peeing/pooing in one specific corner. Quinn was as well, so I got fed up of chasing them out of the corner and I cleaned the carpet with some vinegar (with a carpet cleaner, it was great fun to see just how much they peed there :() and put a small litter box there. They have two litter boxes in my room now plus the one in their cage.

So I figured that would be it, the last time she was peeing in a corner (the other litter box) she was good and went in the box once I put one there. If anything, I expected Quinn to continue finding new and interesting places to urinate for me to discover later, since he's only been neutered for a little over a month now. But no, he was all good and hopped right in one of the three litter boxes whenever he had to go.

Briar? Well, she rips the litter box out of the way, tips it over, shoves it the other side of the room, hops her happy little way back to the corner and proceeds to pee/poo. So not only do I have poo/pee to clean up, but now I have poo/pee filled litter to clean up from across my room.

They're both very good with their litter box. I find the odd little pellet in my room elsewhere and a small pile just outside of their litter box from their use of it throughout the day. It's just that one corner. Obviously I try to stop her, and normally it only gets to the stage where she's ripped the box out of the corner. When I get up and tell her no she hops off to the other side of the room before I get anywhere near her. I'm not sure how to get her to stop. There is the rare time I leave the room while they're out and I don't even trust her long enough for me to walk to the bathroom and back.

Could you maybe completely block that particular corner off? That would probably be the best way to go about it if it's possible.

Or maybe get a little box that is bigger and be a bit creative in finding a way to hold it in place? (like say maybe wedging it between somethings, or tying it to something).

one way I encourage my entourage to use litter boxes is by putting them inside apple or orange boxes from the grocery store. I cut a hole in both ends so they can go thru--Nikki loves to run--plus it gives them a place to hang out. The other positive is that with the lid on the box, as well as a hide out, it makes it virtually tip proof. I also fill the litter pan with newspaper strips. It soaks up everything and gives them a harmless play source too. Good luck.

The problem is that the corner they pee in is right behind my door, and there's a door stop there too, so their baby corner litter box just barely fits behind it. And even then I still have to move it when they go back in their cage because the door doesn't open all of the way with it there.

They're both litter trained, which is why it drives me crazy when they do it. The rest of my room and their cage is relatively fine, the odd little poo piece here or there, certainly no pee marks elsewhere. That one corner is just disgusting now, I clean it and everything that comes up is like a mystery shade between orange and yellow. (why is rabbit pee so much more disgusting looking than all of the other pee I've had to clean?)

I may just try to block off that area. I hope they don't start peeing just outside the barrier now. I guess I could put a bigger litter box outside of it and see if that would work. Hurray for left over NIC grids!

Thanks for the replies!

Could you maybe put a barrier around your door and that corner so you can open the door and then the barrier is climb-over-able but that it keeps them out the way? That's what I've done in my room, works a treat :)

Latest posts

Back