Poo-ey bottoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Two of my does, Willow (netherland dwarf) and Autumn (unknown breed) get poo-ey bottoms. Like the poo sticks to their bottoms, and the only way to get it off is to soak them in water and wash their bottoms.

So what is causing this? Willow no longer gets it, as we found her problem, she sat in her litterbox. So we just removed that and it seems to have gotten better a little, and after her bottom-bath she was much better. So what about Autumn? Her cage doesn't have a mesh bottom, and I haven't seen her sitting in her potty area.

So, what is causing poo to get stuck (really stuck!) to the fur on their hineys, and also on their tails?

Thanks,

Emily

Hmm.. That odd. Maybe Autumn is sitting in her poo area. Like where she poo's all the time. Maybe. Because if Willow's probably was she was sitting in here litter box mabye Autumn is sitting in here poo spot. Thats what may be the problem. Maybe make sure that her cage is mostly poo free. Thats what I can think. :)

Hope it helped a little.

Hi!

Are their poops soft or diarrhea-like? In this case, sticking to the fur is expected. Since this occurs to both your rabbits, what they eat could be the reason. Maybe they eat more veggies and pellets and less hay? Should this be the case, increase the hay consumption (if you cut down the veggies and pellets, they'll get hungrier and eat more hay). Soft poops are always connected to the rabbit's diet and, if this is the problem, you should deal with it and then you'll see that your rabbits' fur will not get dirty any longer-but, most importantly, you'll not have any GI tract issues with them.

Marietta

Thanks FallingStar. Willow has gotten better since we removed her litter box and just let the poos fall into her tray.

As for their diet they get veggies at least once a week, if not that, then once every two weeks. They eat Dels Rabbit Ration 16%. I don't know what the 16% percent is, but I'll find out. Willow doesn't eat a lot of hay, but Autumn does eat a lot of hay. They both eat all their pellets gone, because right now they're the fattest girls in the barn and they need to slim down a tad, so they get minimal meals.

Marietta, I don't understand really what you're saying that soft poos are connected to a rabbits diet and that's the problem. That's not it. Anyway, maybe word it so i can understand it better, because you're making it sound like normal things are the cause of this. Sorry if that somehow offended you in anyway.

Willow's bottom is MUCH better and no more poos stick to her bottom anymore. As for Autumn, we just noticed it yesterday but we'll be checking her again every day now.

So, i'm thinking now it is there poo spots? What should I do to stop them from sitting in their litterboxes/poo spots? Also, how do you get pee stains off rabbits feet?

Emily

Emily, You mentioned that the girls are the "fattest in the barn"... that's the problem. They can not reach their "bottoms" to clean themselves. Right now, the most important thing you can do is to gradually help them lose weight. (Slowly, so there are no health problems). The 16% refers to the protein level in the feed. That's probably OK for them.

Cut back on the treats (banana/oats/etc.). Push the hay on them, cut back on the pellets. (Our Mini Rex get 1/3 cup measured, total for the day... no more).

I know that taking away the litter box will fix it temporarily, but you should try to slim the girls down. Being overweight is not healthy for them.

I know how it is to have to put the buns on a diet, but it's for their best...

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Marietta, I don't understand really what you're saying that soft poos are connected to a rabbits diet and that's the problem. That's not it. Anyway, maybe word it so i can understand it better, because you're making it sound like normal things are the cause of this. Sorry if that somehow offended you in anyway.

Marietta is from Greece, English is her second language. Instead of being rude about how she explained something, why don't you ask her to explain it more, or ask questions.

In any case, she made excellent and valid points that are totally accurate, as did BlueGiants.

Hi!

I'm sorry if my wording puzzled you, English is not a native language for me, so maybe I didn'texpressed myself in anunderstandable manner.

What I meant to say is that too many veggies (which I see now thatis, clearly, not your case, as you don't overfeed veggies) can cause soft poops or even diarrhea to rabbits (especially those with sensitive intestines or rabbits of a very young age). Also, too many pellets can also cause soft stools, because the rabbits get more protein and less fibre. On the other hand, I never heard of a rabbit having soft poopif consuming more hay and less of the other nutritional elements.

A protein content of 16% is okay, but,in general,if rabbitseat too many pellets (and we all know how they love them!), they get an excess quantity ofnight droppings thatarenot eaten (which are extremely soft and mess the bunnies'buts)and also accumulate fat, which is not good for their health.

By the way, Iwas not offended, of course, you didn't say anything to offend me. Also, I hope you were not offended either, because I didn't mean to say you don't feed your buns in the right way, as I didn't know how you feedthem anyway,before your clarification.

Marietta

Fluffball wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Marietta is from Greece, English is her second language. Instead of being rude about how she explained something, why don't you ask her to explain it more, or ask questions.

In any case, she made excellent and valid points that are totally accurate, as did BlueGiants.

Fluffball, I wasn't rude. I said it in a nice, easily explanable way. I said: "Anyway, maybe word it so I can understand it better, because you're making it sound like normal things are the cause of this..." How's that rude? I was just letting her know what she was making it like, so she could help me understand it better.

Marietta, nope you didn't offend me, don't worry! Ok, thanks I see. They each get about 1/3a cup of pellets.....maybe a little more. Yeah they both love their pellets, but we give them a lot of hay, and less pellets and then they always rush for their pellets, but they do eat the hay. Some rabbits in my barn enjoy the hay better, and some enjoy the pellets better, lol.

BlueGiants, they're not actually very fat, but they are fatter then the rest. They are just very plump. We actually think Autumn's weight is her breed, but since she's mixed we can't tell, all we know is she's MUCH bigger than after she had been pregnant & nursing. Willow just needs to slim down (as well as Autumn), yes because she's a purebred show-quality Nethie Dwarf. At her last show she was dq'd. We let these girls outside each day for 1/2 hour exercise each. And sometimes longer. They get an entire yard to run in, being supervised, but not with a harness on, because they cmoe to they're names.

Emily

Hallo, Emily (you have the same name with my mom!)!

In regard to pellet feeding quantities, I quote for you a part of Mrs. D. Krempels' excellent article called "What to feed my rabbit?":

A good-quality commercial rabbit pellet provides trace nutrients, vitamins and minerals that a rabbit might not get if fed only hay and fresh foods. However, very little pelleted food is required for good health. Many experienced rabbit veterinarians are now recommending no more than 1/8 cup of quality pellets per 5 lbs. of rabbit per day, and some even consider commercial pellets a "treat food" that can promote obesity in spayed/neutered adult rabbits. A rabbit fed too many pellets will often ignore his hay, to the detriment of his intestinal system!

UNQUOTE

If you check on the HRS site or other local Rabbit Societies' sites, in the sections dealing with diet, you'll see, more or less, the same suggested quantities. I have a dwarf hotot, which is in the same weight category as your Netherland dwarfs and I feed him 1/4 cup of pellets per day, divided in 2 parts (morning and evening). In this way, I make him eat more hay, which, he, otherwise, would totally ignore (he's such a spoilt picky eater!)

However, if your bunnies are show rabbits, I don't know if there is another special diet, which applies toshow rabbits. You, being a breeder,certainly, know better about this and other members experienced in showing rabbits could also share their opinion.

Marietta

We actually havepretty good info on Feeding right here on RO pinned in the Nutrition and Behavior section..

PIN: Feeding Your Rabbit Q&A

(Just realized that particular page isn't in Bunny 101, I'll correct that now).

And I've been waiting to post this absolutely awsome Obesity articleby our own Pam Nock on RO, just waiting for the software to make it easier to deal with, but here's a link to the PDF article.

Hopefully.

sas :)

Pipp wrote:
We actually havepretty good info on Feeding right here on RO pinned in the Nutrition and Behavior section..

Feeding Your Rabbit Q&A
Just finished reading, I hadn't noticed this great collection of very informative articles on RO. Everybody who hasn't seen it should read it!!!

Marietta

P.S. I can't download the obesity article either...

Back