Poo eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
Im getting increasingly concerned at the amount of poo Lottie is eating -- basically she is eating all her poo - not just the night time squashy stuff she is also eating all the hard daytime stuff also -- is this a sign she is not getting enough to eat or that there is something wrong with her?

She wont eat hay and does seem to be a little skinny - we have only had her sonce Monday night so Im not sure at the moment if this is a new thing or if it is something she has always done

Sounds liek she isn't getting all the nutrients she is needing thats the main reason they eat them all.

WHat food is she on just now? how much is she getting? and sorry if I have missed this but what type of rabbit is she ?

I would be tempted in your posistion to feed a bit more food but increase it gradually :)

I would also maybe want to have her back teeth checked as mine will not eat hay so much when the teeth need doing and she could be having problems eating.

As a by the by it may be a good idea to go to your vet anyway and get her checked over and give her a course of Panacur just to rule out worms too. (unless she is a baby just the way you are talking she sounds a bit older)

i think i've heard of other animals (like dogs) eating their own poo when they have an intestinal parasite thing. i would take her and a fecal sample to the vet for a check up.

Simon had coccidia not all that long ago...I know his second test came back all clear on that front...a few days ago I noticed him eating some of his poop. Through me too...but I had read somewhere that it is not uncommon for them to snack on them every now and again...
With eating all of them though I would wonder if something wasn't up...

I hope things turn around and work out ok. I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts!

Back