POLL: How far are you from the nearest rabbit savvy vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How far is the nearest rabbit savvy vet you can trust?

• 0-10 miles

• 10-15 miles

• 15-25 miles

• 25-50 miles

• 50-75 miles

• 75-100 miles

• 100-150 miles

• Over 150 miles

Results are only viewable after voting.

TinysMom

Reaction score
By rabbit savvy - I'm talking about someone you could take your rabbit to in an emergency.

I know some vets can do neuters/spays....but can't help with more major issues.

I am 75 to 100 mile from someone I really trust maybe a hour and 15 minutes drive one way. Sense it is freeway driving all the way.

But I do have a vet close that can do yearly checks and anything minor he did fix both of my buns.

There are 3 vets at my rabbit-savvy vets (Kynoch) that are just so brilliant with rabbits. One isn't soooooo rabbit savvy but doesn't pretend to be, but could help with most situations. The other two are just...brilliant. Such experts on rabbit diet and anatomy, along with everything else. I feel so lucky.

Jen

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
I am 75 to 100 mile from someone I really trust maybe a hour and 15 minutes drive one way. Sense it is freeway driving all the way.

But I do have a vet close that can do yearly checks and anything minor he did fix both of my buns.
Well - the point of this poll is to find out how far folks are from a vet they could trust for pretty much "anything". One you would go to no matter what the problem was...

TinysMom wrote:
Mrs. PBJ wrote:

Well - the point of this poll is to find out how far folks are from a vet they could trust for pretty much "anything".  One you would go to no matter what the problem was...

75 to 100 miles then. Sorry added extra info

I feel very lucky to have an experienced vet right around the corner from me (for my rabbits as well as the guinea pigs) I was searching the internet for a vet who was experienced with guinea pigs and rabbits and was shocked to find she was right around the corner. I also found (even though she doesn't advertise it) that she spays and neuters all the rabbits at the local humane society.

Our vet ispretty good w/ rabbits(Jamestown Veterinary Clinic) - they are within walking distance.

Pam

The vet I use is about 15-20 minutes on 1 bus that is practically door to door. If I have to drive, it is quicker but the route is a bit longer.
The nearest emergency vet is a bit further than my regular vet. They aren't totally rabbit savvy, but do work with the regular clinic, so have some knowledge.
If I needed a totally rabbit savvy emergency clinic, it is further away. There is one that is 24 hours, but they can be expensive for emergencies. Another vet can be on call after hours and is rabbit savvy. This vet is also open on Sundays when most other vets are closed.

I guess where I go depends on how bad the emergency is. If I can, I would go to my regular vet. If I can't get to them, then I would pick the one that can see me the soonest and preferably not cost an arm and a leg just to been seen by the vet.

My vets office is open 24/7 and is 18miles away. They can treat pretty much anything. In the office there is 6 or 7 (think there is a new one) vets who can treat the bunnies. They also treated my gps. That I know of 2 of the 7 can treat the lizards that I know. This place treat almost EVERYTHING.

JadeIcing wrote:
My vets office is open 24/7 and is 18miles away. They can treat pretty much anything. In the office there is 6 or 7 (think there is a new one) vets who can treat the bunnies. They also treated my gps. That I know of 2 of the 7 can treat the lizards that I know. This place treat almost EVERYTHING.
The only problem with mine is that she is the only vet in the group with experience. The others won't even see the guinea pigs and rabbits. So if she isn't there then it's a trip to another vet or the emergency clinic (which isn't close by)

im not sure on the milage but the one vet i truly trust with any of my animals, not just my bunnies, is about a 1/2 hour drive from my house to the clinic, but if its an emergency she lives close-by in town, so would take maybe 5 min to get to my house.

I'm 15 miles from Dr. C.
I can be there in about 20 minutes.

Open 7 daysa week.
24 hour emergency surgical and medical services.
House calls, too!

They have digitalx-ray, theraputic laser, surgical laser,a complete in-house laboratory, ultrasound, pharmacy, and in-patient facilities.

Emergencyand after hours calls go to Dr. C's beeper...not a service.

JimD wrote:
I'm 15 miles from Dr. C.

Open 7 daysa week.

They have digitalx-ray, theraputic laser, surgical laser,a complete in-house laboratory, ultrasound, pharmacy, and in-patient facilities.

I HATE YOU!!!

Ok - not really. But still yet.

When I spoke to the vet in Uvalde (70 miles away) back a while ago about dental issues - she said I'd probably have to go to San Antonio or maybe even Houston or Dallas (no one had problems - just was asking what she knew, etc).

Oh well..... guess I'm lucky that I don't have to go to San Antonio anymore.

TinysMom wrote:
JimD wrote:
I'm 15 miles from Dr. C.

Open 7 daysa week.

I HATE YOU!!!

Ok - not really. But still yet.

When I spoke to the vet in Uvalde (70 miles away) back a while ago about dental issues - she said I'd probably have to go to San Antonio or maybe even Houston or Dallas (no one had problems - just was asking what she knew, etc).

Oh well..... guess I'm lucky that I don't have to go to San Antonio anymore.
:rollseyes....Dr. C does dental, too.

7.3 miles from my house to my vets. I think there are currently 7 vets there, 6 of whom see exotics. I worked there last summer as an animal caretaker and occasionally fill in for shifts, so the staff treats me especially well too.
In house x-ray, ultrasound, lab and pharmacy.

I guess we are pretty lucky. The vet that treated Ronnie for head tilt is only 2.7 miles away. They deal exclusively with exotics. This office is a bit pricey for spays and neuters though, so we would travel to another exotics vet (30 miles away) for that.

Back