POLL: How Did You Get Your Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I answered 'from the shelter', becauseQueen Heather, Princess Thistle and Lady Bracken did all come from theBahrain Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Duke Dandelion and Sir Burdock I rescued from a bad situation.

Baroness 'Baby' Bramble I found outside my building one night, and it took me about two weeks to catch her.

I got Ruby and Millie from a local rex breeder.I remember he had such gorgeous blue, castor and orange rexes, it tookme about an hour to make up my mind which buns I wanted!;)Inarrowed it down to either one bluebuck or two castor does,in the end I chose my two and I'm so glad I did! (Although I'd love ablue rex in the future, they are stunning!)

In the future I will probably adopt from a rescue however I don't haveany regrets getting from a breeder, after all if I didn't I wouldn'thave my very special, cheeky rex girlies!:D

Berri came from a petshop, and Pebble and Ebonywere the result of my neighbours rabbit breaking into Berri's cage.(It's not fair, he just spends most of his life in our garden, hemesses it all up, pooping and peeing all overour rabbit houseporch. It's so annoying!):rant:

That sounds awful how we got them,:bagheadI'd loveto rescue onefrom a shelter, but shelters here don't haverabbits- we couldn't even find a kitten that wasn't wild!:shock:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

I had to vote twice, as Anna came from ashelter, but Raph came from a breeder (who I would never buy fromagain...that particular breeder, I mean)

If I were ever to take on any more rabbits, I would most likely go the same route...either a shelter or a (reputable) breeder...

I'm "mixed" too so I voted for other.Mocha was my first bun and came from a pet store. I didn'tknow the shelter had rabbits. Loki was adopted from the localshelter. Fey and Sprite were rescued from a badsituation/through the classified ads in the local paper.

my first 5 bunnies were from pet shops before ithought about rescuing, then i took a 6 year old from an ad, they hadactually rescued him 4 yrs earlier from a box he couldn't move in, theni took 2 one eared rabbits that nobody else would have, also from afree to good home ad, then i bought 2 from a breeder because there werespecific ones i wanted, then again a rabbit and a guinea together freeto a good home and they were actually at the breeder i bought 2 from soa mix but i do rescue when i can but i have wanted a grey and white lopand a french lop for 10 years so i had to buy them sorry!

Penelope, Lola and Rupert all came frombreeders. My first bunny, Willy, came from a petstore. When we buy a house, I plan to get a bunny from theHumane Society, but we can't while we're still in the apartment becausetechnically we aren't allowed pets and they won't adopt out an animalwithout checking that first (which is a great policy, in my opinion,since many people end up having to give up their bunnies because theycan't find a place to live that accepts them).

Furby and Ellie were from a pet store. I wasntactually planning on getting bunnies at that point as I had never hadpets before and was just thinking of it. I went to the pet store nextto the surgery and fell in love. I was petrified of touching andpetting them but they just had the calmest sweetest personality that Icancelled my order for a hutch as it would take to long and went outand bought the biggest hutch I could!!!!

No regrets!:colors::bunnydance::colors:

Amber and Devon came from a shelter. Amber wasdropped off by some people who claimed she had never been with a male.That night she had a litter of babies, one of which was Devon! Theshelter later learned that this was actually her *third* litter!Originally, we planned on adopting Devon and one of his siblings, Rory.Rory and Riley (the third baby) already had homes lined up. So thefoster mother suggested that we adopt Devon and his mom. After seeingmore pictures and learning about her personality, we fell in love with'Momma' (her name at the time).

The shelter was about 2 1/2 hours away, so we didn't get a chance tomeet them before taking them home. But I never had any doubts.Something just felt "right". The only disadvantage was that we had towait almost two months, from May to late June because Amber had tocontinue nursing her other babies. To remind us of when we first "saw"them on petfinder, Amber's middle name is "May".

The rescue was still quite small when Amber and Devon were there, butwe just recieved a newsletter saying that their foster network nowhouses close to 100 bunnies!

We rescued Floppy from being snake food. My next door neighbor purchased him as a baby to feed to his enormous snake.

I got Snuggy because my husband wanted a chocolate bar.

Seriously - I had been talking about gettingarabbitand he said if I went out and got him some chocolate, Icould get a bunny.

I thought it was a pretty good deal!

I got Drizzle from a petstore that ALWAYS has aton of baby buns. It'scalled Alsip Home and Nursery, and theyhappen to have a petstore in it as well. They seem to really takeoftheir rabbits there, which is always nice.I gothim at 7 weeks old

I got Latte from a rescue last week and he's about 6 months old.

I got Will from a lovely little private rescuecalled "G.B.H" (i don't think they realised it stands for greviousbodily harm? :S :D). They mainly have bunnies but they also have guineapigs hamsters and gerbils (which explains the G.B.H name). I'mdefinatley going back there. The lady's whole house was full of thesecges of animals and although i understand it was difficult for her toplay with them all, thye all looked in great condition and happy withnice clean hutches.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I got Snuggy because my husband wanted a chocolate bar.

Seriously - I had been talking about gettingarabbitand he said if I went out and got him some chocolate, Icould get a bunny.

I thought it was a pretty good deal!

i think this was a great deal you had! 99p (or whatever it cost in theusa!) bar of choc a bit of effort to go get it and you get to add a newmember of the family!!

I just found out that Dallas and his brotherAustin were given because the previous owners didnt have the money topay for their tooth removals. They got them from breeders.

hunnybunny63 wrote:
i think this was a great deal you had! 99p (or whatever itcost in the usa!) bar of choc a bit of effort to go get it and you getto add a new member of the family!!
Yeah, three rabbits later, he never asks me to get him chocolate anymore!

:)

I had to vote "other" because for one, Maisiequalifies, since she wasn't exactly from a breeder. We gotMaisie from a friend of my daughter's at her previous school.The girl (who's about eleven) has been raising bunnies for years, andis quite the animal-tuned girl! She's also rescued variousanimals around her home from bad situations, like the nest of squirrelsthat fell out of their tree, only one of which lived, and is blind, soshe's kept him this whole time. Wonderful girl!! :D

Anyway, her cute white doe was pregnant from their chinchilla-coloredloppy-eared boy, and she was selling the litter for $20/ea. so theycould get the mama spayed. I walked in, noticed some bunshopping around in the enclosed grassy area at the school, and just hadto go over and say hello. I knew NOTHING about buns, mindyou, and wasn't in the least expecting to take onehome!

Well, I walked over, and Miss Maisie hopped right on over, sniffed myknee, jumped right into my lap, and the rest is history! Shejumped right into my life, which then forever changed to include thesewonderful furry, poof-tailed creatures!

Of course, before bringing her home, I discovered this wonderfulsite, and researched (for about eight hours, mind you!), and asked allsorts of questions...so I could be assured that we could properlyprovide for the cutie!

So, we brought Maisie home, built her a little mansion just for her,got her acquainted with our two kitties, and settled into ourbunny-loving home.

A few months later, my husband happened upon a bunny (which he thoughtwas a dwarf hotot, but was really a six-week-old baby) outsidesomeone's back door here in the complex. She was in her cage,if you could call it that, the bottom a pool of urine, feces,urine-soaked iceburg lettuce (that the bun smartly refused to eat), andlacking completely in anything else, including water. Thepoor tiny bunny had stuffed herself onto the three inch wide "ledge" tokeep away from the urine, and was so skinny and yellow-tinted!

So, my husband (not seeing her condition, just seeing there was a bunoutside) called me here in the house, and mentioned that someone hadtheir bun outside if I wanted to come down and say hello. So,I grabbed some raisins and my daughter, and headed on down to sayhello...not knowing that this moment would again change our lives!

The second I saw that little baby sitting there, I knew I had totake her away from that miserable life, come hell or highwater! So, I knocked on the neighbor's door, and asked him ifhe would give her to me, and he agreed (giving me the pellet foodthey'd apparently bought for her, but clearly hadn't givenher). We brought the little one upstairs, put together one ofthe cat carriers (the smaller of which was HUGE to her), and gave hersome water and hay and dry CareFresh bedding. It took her afew minutes to gain the guts to jump from the shelf she'd stuffedherself on to go into the carrier...but she did! The poordear wreaked, too!

Needless to say, after many posts here for her as well, Flower hassince blossomed into the beautiful baby girl you see in her blognow. It's really incredible to me how much a ton of love,some dry hay, and a huge mansion of a home can change asomeone!

Both of our bunnies are amazing, and oh so wonderful! Maisieis a spunky little princess, and Flower is a laid-back, happy,lovey-dovey girl...they compliment each other perfectly.

Well, sorry for the LONG post, but those are their stories! :)

Love and hugs!

Rosie*

I got halfpint from a lady who was moving home.she already has 3 other rabbits but he didnt bond with them so she hadto give him up for adoption. i took him on as i didnt want him endingup in a rescue centre which is what would have happened if they couldntrehome him b4 they moved at the end of the month

Back