Poisonous tree overhangs our garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
So we have a horse chestnut tree that overhangs our garden and I’ve read that all parts of a horse chestnut is poisonous to rabbits. In Autumn I usually just rake the leaves out of my rabbits run area but now we are in spring it is shedding flowers all over! I can’t clean these up very well they get stuck in the grass do you think it is unsafe to allow my bunnies in the garden? :(

If you thoroughly rake out an area, and put an xpen (or run) down, and cover the floor, it should be okay. You could also over the run with a tarp afterwards so that it prevents them from going in. But of course, if that doesn't work, I wouldn't let them out. Maybe you could bring them inside for a few hours for an adventure, but I get that not everyone is accepting of that.

Sadly I can’t rake it up as the petals are too fine they just go straight through the rake and it’s pretty bad (see picture). I guess they’ll have to stay in the garage for now :( I can’t have them in the house as I keep my other pair in there and they’ll smell each other.

Attachments

• 1729F048-2BDB-4591-AEF1-24231C374C39.jpeg
    1729F048-2BDB-4591-AEF1-24231C374C39.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 6
Back