Poisonous outdoor plants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I would like to letmy bunnies run outside in my backyard, but I'm nervous about poisonousplants and grasses. Here's a list of poisonous plants forrabbits: http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html. However, how can I tell if any are in mybackyard? To there tend to be any toxic plants in Bostonbackyards?

Thanks!

Yes unfortunately there is alot of poisonous plants in and aroundBoston , most are of the ornamental varieties , buta lot are also native , I wouldsuggest identifyingwhat is around where you want tolet your rabbit play , Poison Ivy , oak ,sumak can be enough to make a rabbit Ill, not to mention if it gets on its furyou will come down with it also.

Night Shade is another onethats poisonous , castor plants, nonnative bittersweet , sweet potaoe vine is toxic (Leaves ) , there is a whole myridof different ones to list them would takeforever , best bet Identify whats around you ,either by a book or from the previousowners , or occupants . one neverknows what may have been planted .

You have to be careful of leaves from the treesas well. Some can be very toxic. The list you haveis a good one. If you're unsure of what yourplants/trees/shrubs are in the yard, I wouldn't let my rabbits out init until I could have someone come over and help me identify them.

-Carolyn

Thank you for the list, it seems to covereverything. I bookmarked it. Carolyn'sright. I wouldn't let your rabbits near something if youdon't know what it is.

Thank you for the list NightPoet.

My parents and sibilings are growing a vegetable patch, and two are onthe list that are toxic. ( Eggplant & Tomato ). I guess Emmycant go outside without very very close supervision.

I'll bookmark this page for later reference.

~ Katy

Latest posts

Back