Please welcome Tattoo our new mimic octopus!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so the aquarium guy just left after delivering our new friend. He warned us not to go picture crazy for a few days as Tattoo needs time to settle in. He must learn to associate us with his food and not with flashing lights. But with that sad I did manage to get a photo to share before he dashed into his cave. Tonight we will give him some food and hope he eats it. He is perfectly healthy and our tank is healthy enough to keep seahorses in so says aquarium guy. Oh someone did ask me what kind of filter we were using, its a "Reef Octopus BH  
 Protein Skimmer Filter System" ya its shiny. So here is his tank. The little purple things attached to the walls are a breed of live coral that clear out toxins.

U2FsdHdhdGVyLWZpc2gtdGFuazEuanBn.jpg

Please welcome Tattoo, he is 7 inches long at 14 weeks old. He will be 22 inches when fully grown.
bWltaWNfb2N0b3B1c18zQGJvZHkyLmpwZw.jpg

Personally I think he looks like he is saying "GET OFF MY LAWN". He kinda reminds me of my father in law...Enjoy everyone! More pics to come.

Can I request more pictures of the tank? Maybe a photobucket link to them so they can be bigger for blind people like me :D Gosh I love saltwater tanks.... Stunning!

A good flat surface to rest your camera on while taking the pictures will keep it nice and steady and allow you to take pictures with the flash off so you dont disturb Mr squishy (tattoo)!!!

Dare I ask how much its total has come to so far? , live rock, fishies, and all? $$$

I will certainly upload so more detailed pics of the tank. Thanks for the advice on taking photo's. Its actually kind of tough figuring out how to take pictures of Tattoo. So far the tank plus Tattoo and his whole set up has been close to 3 grand. The fish are going to have to go in a separate tank in a couple of months as Tattoo will eat them lol.

the stuff on the walls is coraline algae, grows in healthy, well lit tanks. but just hard algae :) watchfor sponges, a great sign your tank is healthy!!

and watch out that damsel leaves the royal gramma and firefish alone and doesnt stress him to death. mean suckers...octopus may end up eating them all anyways though.

since you cant have inverts due to the octopus eating them, do you have something to sift the sand to avoid the gas bubbles? dk bout the sand sifters...idk whats safe to live with octopus. prob nothing. :)

and i know you had this set up by a professional, but just wondering...did he put the rock down before the sand?? if not i would kinda worry about the octopus digging around the rocks, it could all collapse pretty easily.

you should invest in some pretty polyps and mushrooms!!! I have collected some beautiful blues and greens over the years...if I could send you some I would! Dont know if I would trust my mailing abilities though!!! the torch should get some nice color with time too! their neat to watc eat, sticking out their tentacles and all :) will kill any coral around them though

looks great though!!!
did the guy recomend any suppliments?
what do you feed to octopus?

LOL Jason thought it was some kind of coral :D.
The fish will be leaving the tank in about 2 to 3 weeks. We only got the fish cause there survival was a for sure sign that the tank was maturing properly. Tattoo will eat them eventually lol. Right now he is on a diet of little crab's, reef shrimp and other shell fish. Yes the rock was placed before the sand. As for sand sifter's, nothing can safely live with a fully grown Octopus so the sand must be professionally done every six weeks.

Awesome, absolutely love it! Saltwater tanks are so interesting. What a beautiful creature!

Beautiful tank and tatoo is awesome! He reminds me of squidward from Sponge Bob Square Pants. I can just hear that grumpy, nasaly voice coming from him LOL "You kids get off my lawn!"

Soooo cool!!!! I love salt water tanks and all the beautiful color. I always had huge fresh water tanks that we would build lots of caves for our chilids. Making it look like an underwater stream fortress. Makes for a good community tank with the right chilids. Salt water is so hard if you are taking care of it on your own. Lucky to have a pro do it for you.

LOVE TATTOO, he is sooooo cute!!!!

Thanks everyone. He does look so grumpy. We did not see much of him yesterday but last night we were on the couch and he came out. He "walked"around his tank and was touching things as he went. He looked very cranky lol. We missed part of our movie watching him. We fed him before bed and were rewarded with empty shells in the morning so he ate. Everything is excellent.

So funny, I was just watching a documentary on octopuses last night! Apparently they're crazy smart. In the documentary, they were doing all sorts of experiments to prove how smart they really were. One of them involved giving an octopus his crab lunch in a screwtop jar, something he would never know from his experiences in the wild. And he figured out how to unscrew it in 5 minutes!

There were all sorts of other ones, too, but this was my favourite :). But the conclusion was, that octopuses learn, problem solve, and are self aware.

I think they're smarter than rabbits, lol. But don't thell Fraggles I said that!

Octopi I very smart. That is what's creepy about them lol. Imagine if they learned to breath air! Rabbits are smart in a "different" way lol. Fraggles is planning to take over the world after all. Maybe she will get idea's from Tattoo.

I'm just greatful that Houdini and Fraggles don't play together. I think if they put their minds to the same purpose the world would be in real trouble! It took me 7 months to come up with an enclosure that would contain that boy over night!

Latest posts

Back