Please read

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I've been crying and shaking for the last 2hours. Dear friends of ours lost their whole rabbitry barn to a fireearlier today. They were becoming well-known and top breeders oflionheads and they lost adult rabbits, nestbox babies, cages, carriers- EVERYTHING.

I've already posted a message in the rabbitry area asking breeders tocheck their fire alarms, etc. if they use a barn. But I have decided topost something here.

Do you have an emergency plan/route if your house were to catch on fireor a tornado or flood was coming? Do you have a carrier for your rabbitthat can go at a moment's notice?

I think this is something we may all want to take a moment and considerworking on. Make a plan...where will you keep your carrier? Practicecatching your rabbit and getting it IN the carrier. Maybe even starttraining the rabbit with treats or something to get into the carrier?

Just some thoughts.

Peg

Snuggys Mom wrote:
My plan includes using pillow cases for therabbits. I wouldn't have time to get the carriers and they'retoo bulky.

Great idea Laura! ;)

Gotta get the new batteries put in the alarms.

We just received the window stickers from the ASPCA, too!

thsi is such an important topic.

i dont have a plan but im not sure if its really necersary as mine livein the garden in wooden hutches so im not sure fire is such a big dealas if the the hsoeu was on fire it wouldnt really affect the bunnies!

i like the pillow case idea how does that work?

hunnybunny63 wrote:
Grab them and put them in pillow cases just to get them outsidequickly. Then put them in the car or at a neighbor'shouse. They can breathe in the pillow case, but can't see, soare less likely to panic.

I'm guessing its just put them in a pillowcase and run? OK so it would be quite traumatic but better than burning in a house!

hunnybunny63 wrote:
Simple...

Grab a pillow case....grab a bun....put the bun in the pillow case. :)

Seriously though.....I could probably carry all 8 of my buns this way.And they might need to fit through a window that the carrier could not.
From there they would most likely be deposited in my car.

Good thread Peg, soory to hear about your friend's rabbitry. That's sad. Do they know how it started?

I love the pillowcase idea! That's the plan I will use andout we go in the event of an emergency. I have had to rushthe buns to the basement a few times in recent years due to tornadowarnings, but I just picked em up and carried em down.

Jim, how do you get those window stickers? Would a regshelter have 'em? I wonder if HRS does. Thanks, I never eventhought of this.

Snuffles wrote:
Good thread Peg, soory to hear about your friend'srabbitry. That's sad. Do they know how it started?

I love the pillowcase idea! That's the plan I will use andout we go in the event of an emergency. I have had to rushthe buns to the basement a few times in recent years due to tornadowarnings, but I just picked em up and carried em down.

Jim, how do you get those window stickers? Would a regshelter have 'em? I wonder if HRS does. Thanks, I never eventhought of this.

I order a lot of pet supplies from JeffersPet.com. With every orderthey include a window sticker for your pets. You just write theappropriate number of animals next to the corresponding picture. Thereare also write-in blanks for types of animals that do not have acorresponding picture. I don't know if any other pet supply companiesdo this or not. It might be worth inquiring about.

Peg, I'm so sorry to hear of your friends' losses.It makesmesad that something terrible had to happen for us to talkabout this subject. My buns live outside (except for Hannah and thebabies being inside for the winter) so I hadn't really thought aboutemergency plans. I really like the pillowcase idea. I think I couldeasily use them to bring the buns inside should something like atornado occur. They're small enough I could tuck a few in a ziploc bagor something and attach it to the hutch. That way, they would be easilyaccessible, should I ever need to use them.

Heather

I'm also aware of the pillowcase idea and keep acouple in the bin next to Sparky and Scooter's pen. Emergencystickers are also a great idea. If anyone is interested in acustom emergency sticker (with your pets pictures on it) I make themand 100% of the money is donated to a needy bunny fund (cost is $6 fortwo stickers).

Sample sticker:

Dayna.jpg

I was thinking about this the other day.

We have five cats, four adult rabbits, four baby rabbits, six cages ofsugar gliders, one hedgehog, and two dogs in our home and a roosteroutside and everything would need a carrier except the dogs and we onlyhave ONE carrier. I definately need to look into some sort ofbulk carrier purchase so everyone has one.

If there was a fire I don't know what we'd do!

I have to think about a rescue plan as well...wehave to unbonded girls, and the two kitties...and twocarriers. We could do the pillowcase idea, but where to putthem after that?? Can't do the car, as it is parked withinthe building's structure and takes a few clever moves to get out of thestructure.

I think we would have to resort carrying out each NIC cage (whichwouldn't be horrible...i could get one, my husband the other...but itwould take more time than we'd have, possibly. Not to mentionhaving to grab the cats, which I think we'd be able to handle...butagain, the time restraint.

I was thinking...do firefighters have any training on how to take animals out of a fire?

We had a fire 11 years ago when my daughter wasa baby. My younger brother was in the house too. Wegot the baby and my brother out and completely FORGOT about our cattill one of the fire fighters brought her out to us. Theyfound her under the bed and she was fine but I was just horrified I'dforgotten her.

I plan to use pillowcases aswell. It's alsoeasier becuase the rabbit would probably be frightened, and if you putthe open end of the pillowcase over them, they're less likely to panicand try to get away. Then you don't have to chase them around trying tograb them in an emergancy. Also, another thing is if you are rushing,it could be easy to drop a rabbit if you were just carrying them.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Grab them and put them in pillow cases just to get themoutside quickly. Then put them in the car or at a neighbor'shouse. They can breathe in the pillow case, but can't see, soare less likely to panic.
That is a good idea Laura!,i would have never thought of that

Peg..that is just devestating what happened to your friend's rabbitry..all those poor bunnies..that is just to sad :(

cheryl

I have carriers for the rabbits that I keep neartheir indoor cages. Yet the thought has often crossed my mind, what ifsomething terrible happened where we had to evacuate our homes? I don'thave a car, and have a dog, two cats, and the two rabbits (and fishtoo). In a dire emergency, I guess it would come down to me doing thebest I could to rescue everyone. :?

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your friends' loss. How devastating for them, and for the dear little rabbits.

News like that is always so hard to accept....my prayers to them, and to everyone affected by such a tragedy. :bigtears:

Also, I don't know how many of you this is aworry for, but make sure you have food for your pets in your earthquakekits.

maherwoman wrote:
I think we would have to resort carrying out each NIC cage(which wouldn't be horrible...i could get one, my husband theother...but it would take more time than we'd have,possibly.

You can also find and keep small cardboard boxes that the buns can eachfit in tucked away somewhere. In case of emergency, grab theboxes, buns and go. No need to carry out a NIC cage...

Prep the boxes with breathing holes, handles etc, and just keep it around somewhere.

Karona lives in the garage underneath the house.Her carrier is right beside her cage. Our dog follows us everyware.Karonas carrier always has a ziplock of food and a bottle of water. Ourdog has a bag of food in our car.

you all seem so organised but living in the ukwe dont get things like earthquakes so we dont really need to prepare.also my bgunnies are outside so a fire within our house wouldnt affectthem very much if at all!

Latest posts

Back