Please Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srecko

Bojan & Danae
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are new to being bunny-parents and we need some help. First, here's some quick background on our bun Srecko:

He's only been with us for 5 days.
He's 9 weeks old.
He seems introverted - he doesn't mind being held, he's not scared of car rides, he enjoys chilling in his cage.
He views himself as top-bunny.

He's not your typical rabbit that hates cages/being held/car rides, which may seem great, except it's making it hard for us to come up with a plan to house-train him. Bojan, my boyfriend, grew up with a rabbit, but training was easy with him and his family because the rabbit hates being in the cage, so whenever he was a bad bunny or tried to be top-bunny they would keep him in the cage for an hour. He'd associate the bad behavior to the punishment and he learned fast. That doesn't work with our Srecko... He loves being in the cage. He definitely thinks he's top bunny, and we don't know where to even start with training him.

I've done research, so I have some random knowledge about male rabbit hormones at his age and such, but what kind of disciplinary actions can we take on a rabbit that practically laughs at all our attempts? Lol

"In the male rabbit, testicles descend as early as 10-12 weeks of age, which puts them into the “teenage” phase of a rabbit’s life. They may be a bit too young to impregnate a female bunny (although don’t count on it), but they begin to exhibit all of the bunny sexual behaviors. Behaviors may include, dropping their fecal pellets all over your house to mark their territory and urinating outside of the litterbox." -House Rabbit Society (http://rabbit.org/sexy-bunnies/)

This is an issue we don't know how to address. He's even peeing/pooing in and around his food bowl! I know the most popular solution is to neuter, but at this point, we really don't want to do that. So what solutions does that leave us?

Another thing is, I've read you don't take your bunny out of the cage, you open the door and allow them to come out when they want to. The door to Srecko's cage could be open all day and he'd do nothing more than sniff around the opening. It seems like all the information that Google has to offer is for bunnies that hate cages, hate being held and such as that.

We ADORE our Srecko, but we definitely need to start implementing some rules. What do we do??? :anyone:

:pleaseplease::pleaseplease:

Some young rabbits take longer to learn litter training than others. If you want to litter train him, you'll probably need to start small and work your way up. Meaning, keep him confined to his cage with his litter tray, any stray pees or poops wipe up/pick up and put in his litter tray. If there's a particular spot in the cage that he seems more inclined to do his business in, put the litter tray there. Once he has mastered going in the tray in his cage, then you can open the door and allow him some extra space outside the cage (not too big) and once he's mastered that, add more space and so on. Keep in mind, that in any new area, he's bound to leave some territorial poops here and there. In addition to that, as he matures he may be inclined to leave a few poops scattered around (you're always going to have a few anyway) but he should be 100% reliably peeing in his tray (unless of course he starts spraying urine in which case neutering is highly recommended).

I do have one question, does he not go through the door of the cage because he is comfortable being in his cage? Or does he not like the opening, for example, if you have him outside of his cage with the door open, will he use it to hop in on his own? I only ask because if he doesn't use the opening at all, when he's outside of his cage he may not go back in to use the litter tray. It could simply be a matter of being nervous about exploring too, given that his cage is his space and you've only had him a short time. I would leave the door open for a while, perhaps put some fun things outside of it, some pellets/hay, a box to hide in etc, and that might entice him out in time.

That's very helpful advice, thank you, Azerane!

He doesn't seem to have a favorite spot to pee... I've already moved his litterbox to the other end of the cage because I thought he preferred that corner, but then he continued to pee/poo where his food was. I thought that behavior was abnormal...? Why would they want their waste so close to their food?

You bring up a solid question. I've been asking myself the same one. You're right, he doesn't like to venture into the cage either. I've been wondering if he's maybe scared because he's still small enough that he gets his feet caught in the bars of the cage door/ramp? He doesn't like to set foot on it, and it looks about the right size that it might hurt him, but I'm not sure on this...

That's very helpful advice, thank you, Azerane!

He doesn't seem to have a favorite spot to pee... I've already moved his litterbox to the other end of the cage because I thought he preferred that corner, but then he continued to pee/poo where his food was. I thought that behavior was abnormal...? Why would they want their waste so close to their food?

You bring up a solid question. I've been asking myself the same one. You're right, he doesn't like to venture into the cage either. I've been wondering if he's maybe scared because he's still small enough that he gets his feet caught in the bars of the cage door/ramp? He doesn't like to set foot on it, and it looks about the right size that it might hurt him, but I'm not sure on this...

Most bunnies like to poop and eat at the same time. Putting hay in their litter box can help improve litter habits. I would also put some card board over the ramp to see if that's the issue and so he doesn't hurt himself.

Most bunnies like to poop and eat at the same time. Putting hay in their litter box can help improve litter habits. I would also put some card board over the ramp to see if that's the issue and so he doesn't hurt himself.

I might try the cardboard! Thanks :) I have been trying to think of something to cover the ramp with that wouldn't be harmful to him. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

If you haven't already done so, you can hang a hay rack above his litter box so he will be in the litter box when he munches his hay. It is more likely then that he will pee and poo in the litter box.

If he is getting into a food bowl and pooing and peeing in there then you can try using a smaller bowl that he cannot fit in. I have had to do that with all three rabbits, if the food bowl or hay rack is big enough for them to hop into then they will sit in it eating. This then leads to them pooing and peeing.

Buns do tend to go potty while eating and no, they don't care. Picture a wild bun outside munching on some grass. It will go where it sits but it doesn't matter for them because if they soil the food right in that spot they can simply move on. The problem is our guys can't move on.

I wouldn't put cardboard over the door/ramp of the cage. I would put fleece. You could fold it over and clip it with binder clips or something like that. The cardboard would offer no traction.

He's still really young, so it might take a few weeks for him to totally understand the litter box. But until you get him neutered, he won't be 100%. Like Azerane said, you'll want to pick up the poops and wipe up the pee with a corner of a paper towel and put it in the litter box. Also you want to make sure that ONLY the litter box has bedding/litter in it. The rest of the cage should be bare. Don't even put a blanket in there, rabbits like to pee on soft things. I would also put hay in the litter box, so he can eat and potty at the same time. Or at least make sure that the hay rack is above the litter box. You could also put the food and water bowl next to the litter box, so he might be inclined to stay in the box and eat over the edge. My rabbit does that.

Small areas work better for litter training. So when you let him out, give him a small area and put a little box in there. I have several litter boxes in my kitchen, you can't have too many as long as they're still using them. All mine are filled with hay and that insures that my bun is eating a lot of hay everyday.
Your bun should pick a spot soon and thats where he'll want to go and thats where you put the box. Like my bun, its next to the back door. If I don't put a box there, she goes in the floor; if I DO put the box, she goes in the box.

Its a time consuming process, it takes a few weeks for them to get it down completely. There will always be stray poops, especially with a male because he'll be poop marking. And as he gets older, he could possibly spray, which is no fun. You just have to be patient.

Also, using his cage as a "punishment" isn't what I would personally do. Then they associate the cage with being bad and they don't want to go into the cage on their own. They need to have a place that is safe to them. You just want him to be comfortable with his cage, so put him in the cage on a good note, not when you're mad at him. You have to remember that he's a baby and just like any other animal baby, he's going to potty in the floor. Don't punish him with his cage, for something that he can't control.

first off....he's nine weeks old.

He's a baby.

So treat him like a baby.
1. leave him in his cage until he figures out his poop area. Don't have the litter box in, just give him some time to learn where he wants to go. Once he figures out an area, put the litter box in that spot with some dirty litter and he should be good to go. (square litter boxes working better than triangular ones).
2. you can encourage him to choose a certain area by hanging hay in the spot.
3. so he likes his cage... that's just fine. It's actually better than having him pulling on the wires wanting to get out (therefore increasing the risk of damage to his teeth).
4. Give him time.... that just might change (the cage loving)..... He most likely at this point sees his cage as a very safe place to be. You've only had him five days so give him some time to come out of his shell and to relax. Did you know that some bunnies take two months to really relax in new digs?
5. as to the cage door. A small piece of runner carpet and a piece of velcro and you are good to go. :)

Enjoy him. :)

I wouldn't put cardboard over the door/ramp of the cage. ... The cardboard would offer no traction.

Or, put the cardboard UNDER the door, which is what I did when I first got the cage for Scone MacBunny, my first rabbit. The wire grid still provides the footing, but the cardboard makes it impossible to fall through. I just used zip ties and attached a piece of corrugated cardboard to the outside of the door (when closed). You can see the arrangement in this picture:

natasha_1853-6396.jpg

Oddly, once I did that, Scone didn't actually use the ramp, and neither does Natasha now - they just jump over it - but he seemed to want the reassurance at the time, and I felt better that he couldn't get a foot caught.

Some young rabbits take longer to learn litter training than others. If you want to litter train him, you'll probably need to start small and work your way up. Meaning, keep him confined to his cage with his litter tray, any stray pees or poops wipe up/pick up and put in his litter tray. If there's a particular spot in the cage that he seems more inclined to do his business in, put the litter tray there. Once he has mastered going in the tray in his cage, then you can open the door and allow him some extra space outside the cage (not too big) and once he's mastered that, add more space and so on. Keep in mind, that in any new area, he's bound to leave some territorial poops here and there. In addition to that, as he matures he may be inclined to leave a few poops scattered around (you're always going to have a few anyway) but he should be 100% reliably peeing in his tray (unless of course he starts spraying urine in which case neutering is highly recommended).

I do have one question, does he not go through the door of the cage because he is comfortable being in his cage? Or does he not like the opening, for example, if you have him outside of his cage with the door open, will he use it to hop in on his own? I only ask because if he doesn't use the opening at all, when he's outside of his cage he may not go back in to use the litter tray. It could simply be a matter of being nervous about exploring too, given that his cage is his space and you've only had him a short time. I would leave the door open for a while, perhaps put some fun things outside of it, some pellets/hay, a box to hide in etc, and that might entice him out in time.

I wouldn't put cardboard over the door/ramp of the cage. I would put fleece. You could fold it over and clip it with binder clips or something like that. The cardboard would offer no traction.

He's still really young, so it might take a few weeks for him to totally understand the litter box. But until you get him neutered, he won't be 100%. Like Azerane said, you'll want to pick up the poops and wipe up the pee with a corner of a paper towel and put it in the litter box. Also you want to make sure that ONLY the litter box has bedding/litter in it. The rest of the cage should be bare. Don't even put a blanket in there, rabbits like to pee on soft things. I would also put hay in the litter box, so he can eat and potty at the same time. Or at least make sure that the hay rack is above the litter box. You could also put the food and water bowl next to the litter box, so he might be inclined to stay in the box and eat over the edge. My rabbit does that.

Small areas work better for litter training. So when you let him out, give him a small area and put a little box in there. I have several litter boxes in my kitchen, you can't have too many as long as they're still using them. All mine are filled with hay and that insures that my bun is eating a lot of hay everyday.
Your bun should pick a spot soon and thats where he'll want to go and thats where you put the box. Like my bun, its next to the back door. If I don't put a box there, she goes in the floor; if I DO put the box, she goes in the box.

Its a time consuming process, it takes a few weeks for them to get it down completely. There will always be stray poops, especially with a male because he'll be poop marking. And as he gets older, he could possibly spray, which is no fun. You just have to be patient.

Also, using his cage as a "punishment" isn't what I would personally do. Then they associate the cage with being bad and they don't want to go into the cage on their own. They need to have a place that is safe to them. You just want him to be comfortable with his cage, so put him in the cage on a good note, not when you're mad at him. You have to remember that he's a baby and just like any other animal baby, he's going to potty in the floor. Don't punish him with his cage, for something that he can't control.

Or, put the cardboard UNDER the door, which is what I did when I first got the cage for Scone MacBunny, my first rabbit. The wire grid still provides the footing, but the cardboard makes it impossible to fall through. I just used zip ties and attached a piece of corrugated cardboard to the outside of the door (when closed). You can see the arrangement in this picture:

natasha_1853-6396.jpg

Oddly, once I did that, Scone didn't actually use the ramp, and neither does Natasha now - they just jump over it - but he seemed to want the reassurance at the time, and I felt better that he couldn't get a foot caught.

To all that answered my cage door/ramp question... Thank you! People on this forum are so helpful and passionate for rabbits, I love it. :)
To further answer Azerane's question... I did a mini experiment. I took him out of his cage so I could clean it, and he stubbornly hopped right back in. That was the first time he's ever did it by himself, so he's definitely been bluffing! :rollseyes So it seems it's as Azerane said - he's nervous about exploring. I keep the door open and all he still does is sniff around, but he prefers not to come out. I still may use cardboard or fleece on the ramp for my own peace of mind, since he's a dwarf. I'd be so sad if he hurt one of his toes.

Also, we rearranged his cage again. I put his litterbox where he was peeing/pooing and then we put hay in his litterbox. We hung the water bottle above his litterbox and placed his food bowl (we purchased an appropriate sized one - one he can't fit into) next to his litterbox. So far so good! No poops or pees outside his litterbox. I'll keep in touch about it. :group2: Hugs to everyone who helped!

Azerane, I took him out again and set him down and we now believe it's because of the tile! Haha! He was dragging his back feet because he didn't know how to walk on tile. :rofl:

Most bunnies aren't very comfortable walking on smooth and slippery flooring such as tile and linoleum. You can try putting down an area rug or several smaller rugs. They can learn to get around on it but it takes some time.

I have heard from others on here though that young buns can have issues being on slippery flooring. I'm sure someone else will come along that can tell you correctly but I think they can develop splay leg?

Glad to hear the situation is improving. Just remember also that some buns learn litter training quicker than others, feel at home quicker than others.

Some progress! Sort of...... Today is the first day (week after we got him) that Srecko walked out of his cage by himself! I'm so happy! I think it helped that we took him to the park last night and bonded with him there. He was able to explore and I think he realized that we're his safe zone because he kept hopping back to me and such (don't worry, he was on a leash).

Only down side is my boyfriend accidentally left the door open while we were out of the room so he explored our bedroom and peed in the corner lol Ah well, one step at a time! :vacuum: :biggrin2::hearts

Latest posts

Back