PLEASE! HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lover_Of_Lopz

Reaction score
Ok here is the layout:

I have a 3 year old chi named Bender. I got him from the pound,he is good with other dogs and stuff, but he dose not relay "like" people....he has NEVER bitten anyone but barks and growls when they go by. When we got him he did not do this....what am i doing wrong?:?what can i do to stop it????? I am starting 4-H and needs to be good with people...please help me.....

Here is a pick of him:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz445.jpg

How long have you had Bender? You said he didn't have a problem with people before? When did this start? Do you know anything about his history before you adopted him?

Sounds like he is nervous of people for some reason. That can happen with Chi's if they are not exposed to a lot of new situations and people or have dealt with abuse in their past. If in puppyhood he was left home a lot or not exposed to the world much, he would have picked up such emotions. It's common. Depending on how long you've had him and why he started displaying these fears, there are different things you can do. You need to start working with him with people and new situations - slowly, but consistently. Does he bark at people when they go by if he is on a leash, or in your arms?

Our Chi, we have had since a puppy. He travels with us and has been exposed to many different people and situations since a baby. However he still won't walk on a leash where there are people around. For example - if we are in a campground, he'll go potty on his leash, but he won't walk from the pet park to the camper - he has to be carried. If people approach him while he's on the ground on his leash, he gets scared unless he knows them. But if he's in my arms he feels perfectly secure and he doesn't growl or try to hide. This is common in small dogs too - just because of their size they can easily get intimidated - by people. Norman is very rarely intimidated by dogs - Chi's often think they are a lot larger than they are in reality. We have a Great Pyrenees and Spaniel so he's used to big dogs.

Anyway back on track - if he's not showing aggression at all, it sounds fear related, he's either afraid or just very nervous. Like I said reassure him it's OK for people to be around - carry him to get him used to it if you do not already. Let a stranger offer him a biscuit - or give him one when he does a good job of NOT barking at people passing by. I just think you need to work with him alittle - as long as he is showing no signs of aggression - when he growls is he snarling (showing all his teeth?) this is still completely fixable. Most Chi behavioral problems are fear related or due to something that has happened to them in the past. They can be quite insecure at times and need lots of reassurance from their person that everything is alright and they are safe.

I hope this helps a little - don't worry too much, I think it's perfectly fixable with some work.

We have had him for 2-3 months and the people told me that his former owner was very good to him...he barks when he is walking on the ground and when i am holding him he growls (he dose not show his teeth)

Thank you:)

Definitely sounds like just nervousness then :)He might growl when you are holding him because he is being protective of you - Chi's are usually quite protective of their main person. Our current Chi loves both my hubby and I, but if my hubby tries to hug me or kiss me, Norman freaks and starts barking and trying to run him off. If I am bed sleeping, Norman sleeps beside me and rushes after Kevin growling and barking if he even comes near me lol. Their growl is much bigger than their bite, but they can try hard to be scary if they think their mama is in danger. He might be just telling people to keep away from you when you are holding him. Just encourage him as much as you can - that's my advice, encourage him to be friendly and quiet of course, not growly :)Take him out as much as you can, when he starts the barking or growling tell him "no." Don't have to yell just say it firmly. Our Chi hates the "N-O" word as much as a little kid does, and he knows what it means better than our big dogs.

I think it's just a matter of a little training and experience. He'll be fine, just work with him around people and give him confidence by praising him when he does good and having small treats to give him when he does REAL good, like letting someone pet him, or not barking as someone walks by him while he's on his leash. I think you'll both be just fine! :)

Sounds like nervousness or protectiveness. I have two Chi's. They are both WONDERFUL with people but the male is TERRIBLE with other dogs. I take him to the dog park and he gets so intimidated by the big dogs, but I'll take him to my cousin's house and he'll run around and play with my cousin's big dog. Can't understand it. I think part of it might be me being apprehensive about large dogs and him getting hurt.

Sorry. I feel like I'm hijacking your thread.

:threadhijacked:

fairmaiden.jpg

Latest posts

Back