PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmkms24

Reaction score
So I have had my little friend Dusty since Feb.,and he is 4 - 5 months old. He used to be so curius, pokingaround a lot but really scared when we touched him. So weused to try to pet him as much as possible to make him feelcomfortable, but only when he didnt run away. I figured bynow he would be a little bit more comfortable with us, but of no availehe stays in his cage unless we walk away from it, hides under the couchwhen we are around, and chews everything. He is chewing mymothers couch ( who passed away years ago so it is really upsetting me), the carpet in our RENTED house ( so im really scared about that ),and everything he can get into. I tried to block him fromthat room, but he jumps over all barriers, pulls out all the pillows istuff at the side of the couch to keep him from getting behind it,etc. Im really starting to lose hope because he doesnt let mepet him, and i cant have him out of his cage for 5 minutes before herips out a one in square of the carpet. I really want to makehim happy by letting him out and i do every day even if he eats thecarpet but im so unhappy. Crying because I cant enjoy him andhe doesnt seem to enjoy me.Dusty is my first pet and imsooooo upset. Please help, im desperate.

Kristin

Hi Kmkms24!

I could only guess that Dusty isstill not comfortable around peopleandhe has not gained theconfidence to share quality time with youyet.

At this age, he is going intohis teenage years, so things might seem to be rough.
I find as bunnies get older, they tend to mellow out.

Start out on the bare kitchen floor and spend timewith him there. Stay away from carpets andfurniture and any thing else he mightchew on. Hand feed him oats oneat a time (like Sas/Pipp) so Dusty willapproach you for food. I did this withpellets. Even to sit on thefloor with him, will let him know that heis not threaten with yourpresence. One trick is to pretend that you are abunny, and imitate the things Dusty does.Over time things will change, and youwill be amazed how far Dusty has advanced to lovingyou.

Rainbows! :)

Playing dead works wonders, especially for nosylittle "teens". Something about a motionless human body on the floorsays "jungle gym" to their hormone-crazed little minds and activebodies. I played keep away with my nine babies (they wanted to get tothe forbidden carpet too), sprawled on the floor between them and thecarpet. Pretty soon they'd be sneaking out and trying to get around me,or over me. One in particular liked to try and destroy any obstacle--Iwould put a stick in front of her face just to see her rip it down andbowl on over the the forbidden land. She eventually tried the samestealth tricks on the cat, who finally got mad and swatted her littlerear end all the way back to the bunny den.

About the carpet problem, have you tried putting something over it?Plastic, a blanket, a board? Also, rabbits LOVE to hide in smallspaces, because they feel safe and content. It's just a naturalinstinct response and not necessarily fear of you.

You mentioned that he avoids you--is he hungry enough?Thestrongest bonding occurs because of waiting expectantlyfor food. If I am trying to build trust with a wary one, I will feedjust enough food so that there are no leftovers when I go to feedagain, and the rabbit is mildly hungry and therefore excited to seeme--realizing I bring food and treats and all the good stuff.

I do NOT advocate starving an animal! :)The right amount offood will maintain a healthy weight while keeping him lookingpleasantly (not desperately) forward to the next meal.An overfed rabbit is often apathetic about people, and an underfedrabbit is paranoid and defensive about food. The happy medium is arabbit confident enough to be a shameless beggar.

The four-to-six-month stage is the Jekyl/Hyde phase. Chewing, nipping,lunging, growling, getting into everything, antisocial behavior,fights, dominance issues--all these are normal. Think about humanteens! An unaltered rabbit will usually settle between his or her firstor second year, with the bad behavior peaking at 4-6 mo. However, theywill retain some of these hormonal changes. Neutering/spaying shouldreduce this--not something I know from experience as all mine havealways been unaltered. Males often begin to spray around this time, orperhaps nearer to their first birthday. Females become territorial andusually growl and attack when approached. If you are an adult orteenagefemale and your rabbit is male he maybecome...er...embarrassingly attached to you.

Good luck! This age is rough, but it doesn't last forever. First timeowners are usually perplexed by the nasty stuff that surfaces in thosecute little critters. Time and patience helps immensely. Hang inthere.:)We all have stories about the "teen phase"!

Rose

Block him from getting on anycarpet. If a baby gate won't do the trick ... he'll probablychew that ... try plexi glass. No matter how much you love apet, it's not funny when they chew up or otherwise destroyeverything. Let him out on a floor that is not carpeted andstay with him. You just may have to confine him to his cagethe rest of the time. ALL animalsdo not become trustworthy. And all of them do not becometrusting. I've had rabbits in the house, but I won't do itanymore.

When my rabbit Babette was that age I really hadno room to let her out other than the living room. She was really aterror. I thought that she went behind the sofa and lay down...what shereally did was chew it up so bad that we had to throw it out..I thinkthat if you are a rabbit lover that you need to accept a lot of thebehaviour as being normal for bunnies. I have dog enclosures now that Ienclose my buns in (in the house) and I throw toys in for them. Youneed to acept the bunny for what it is....an animal whose naturalbehaiour is chewing. Rabbits are slow to trust people and they all havedifferent personalities.Try to accept your rabbit for whatshe is

Thank you everyone soooo much. I havebought a border for the bunny and laid an old blanket down on the floorso he doesnt chew on it. I made a little cardboard tent forhim to sneak into and hide. He also has access to jumping onthe couch when im sitting on it. I have learned just to keephim away from behind the couch, and give him tons to chew on.Thanx for the advice I am so glad I am not alone.

Kristin

Latest posts

Back