Please help! Sick bun! Need your help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hi my 14 week old mini lop is very unwell, she has been urinating a little too much and today when I got home she wasnt that happy and I didnt think much of it cause ive gone back to work. i just went to tidy her hutch up and give her attention and let her out for a run and she wont move... she seems very sick!!!!
she wont even eat a pellet which she is OBSESSED with usually. I looked at her mum and looks like a poo is stuck to her mum which is blocking it and my partner touched it and she jumped.
im sitting here crying and i dont know what to do as its night time here!!
PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???
shes my baby!!!

I am not an expert at all but knows you need to keep her warm and hydrated. Think they can go without food for about 24 h before it gets serious. Time for you to get in contact with an online vet or any other vet in the area. She probably need subcutaneous fluids to start with? Speak to/ comfort your bunny on your lap, keep her warm and hopefully she will calm down too. Have you got a syringe to possibly give a drop of water? Best of luck, i am sure someone will answer you soon.

Signs of alarm and needing to take a rabbit to a vet are:
Not eating, not drinking, not urinating, not defecating
Listlessness
Straining to urinate; blood in the urine
Drinking or urinating too frequently.
NOT eating or drinking at all
Loss of coordination, head tilt, unable to move properly
Grinding the teeth (often accompanied by dull eyes and a tight uncomfortable posture) is a sign that your rabbit is in great distress or pain.

If your rabbits ears are cold, rabbits regulate body temperature by their ears. Very cold or hot ears could indicate a fever or a drop in body temperature. This, coupled with other warning signs, could warrant a trip to the vet.

Usually if a rabbit is not eating or moving, that is a huge red flag. She could have a GI stasis or something very wrong with her digestive system.

Your rabbit's litterbox (or where ever she uses the bathroom) contains a wealth of information. A healthy digestive tract will produce large, round fecal pellets. Increasingly smaller, irregularly shaped droppings or droppings strung together with fur (or floor) may indicate a problem.

I'd advise you to seek out a rabbit savvy vet ASAP. You can never be too sure: better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do if you have to wait till morning is syringe electrolyte fluids into her. You can look for recipes online for one and if you make it yourself you may want to cut buck the amount of sugar a bit. Then syringe a tablespoon to two tables spoons of fluid into her. The reason for fluids is, what ever is wrong with her gut, whether its GI stasis or a blockage, or salmonella, the liquid will help hydrate the gut and move what ever it is out.

You say poo is stuck to her bum, you could try filling a litter try with two inches of water and placing a rolled up towel at one end, and then set her front body on the towel so she stays dry, and let her butt soak in the warm water in the tray- then try to work the poo stuck to her but off with your fingers. I've done this before and the bunny stays nice and relaxed, and doesn't get stressed at all with only his back end in the water.

Thank you everyone for your replies, means a lot! I think it must of been an upset gut or something along those lines cause she not moving at all and she couldn't hold her little head up and her eyes were closing and ears were icy cold and she just wasn't well! But then all of a sudden she jumped up and started hopping around?? Why was she acting so sick then did this? I know for a fact she wasn't faking it cause she was sick for a while. Anyway I rang a 24 hour vet and we went and met him at the vet and he gave her fluids through a syringe and also fluids under her skin on both sides and her ears went back to being warm and she was just like her old self again.
She ate her pellets this morning and is eating hay and drinking out of her drink bottle (which she wasn't doing yesterday) but I'm still going to syringe her some fluids just to make sure she is getting enough.
She scared the sh*t out of me last night and I thought I was going to lose her!!!
Does anyone know why any of this happened? The vet couldn't find an answer for it but said to bring her back today if her behaviour wasn't normal.

I'm only guessing but one of the symptoms of a GI slowdown is the rabbit gets hypothermic, and body temperature drops, so I'm thinking she had a gut slowdown-partial blockage stopped eating and drinking got dehydrated and was in a downward spin and then she got warmed up and hydrated and things move again and she recovered.

She may have also had some gas that then she was able to pass. How do the poops look now? Was it cecals stuck to her butt or actual diarrhea? It was good that you took her to the vet. Sick rabbits often don't last long without intervention. Make sure she's drinking water and only give hay for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the vet said that.. Her poos look good a little moist but not black. No cecals so far. Well it looked like just a poo pellet was but then when the vet looked it wasn't there.
It was all hard to figure it but the vet said if we didn't call him she might not have made it. Better to be safe than sorry always!!!! Never been so emotional over a pet! She's my first bun.

That's good. Yes it is very upsetting when our fur babies get sick. I completely understand and I am usually a complete basket case when something is amiss!

I agree that it was likely gas in her stomach. This can cause very severe symptoms similar to gi stasis(lack of appetite, hypothermia, increased respiratory and heart rate, lethargy and other signs of pain), but can have a quicker recovery rate, and may even seem miraculous with how instantaneous it can seem. It can seem like they may be dying and seconds later seem perfectly fine.

If you feel the upper abdomen when it's happening, you can feel the bloated stomach ballooning out just below the ribcage. A bloated stomach can cause a rabbit severe distress and pain because the gas can't escape, so it builds and puts pressure on the stomach and surrounding organs, compressing the heart and lungs causing circulatory problems and breathing difficulty. Because of this, it can sometimes lead to heart or respiratory failure, or a ruptured stomach from the excess gas. But sometimes if the stomach exit isn't completely blocked and the gas doesn't continue to increase, in time the gas can pass to the intestines, relieving the pressure and a lot of the distress. In a matter of seconds or minutes, they can go from looking like they are on deaths door to seeming almost completely better.

I know because I just went through this a few weeks ago. My rabbit was in severe distress despite even having had a high dose of buprenorphine. I could feel the bloated stomach and she was trembling and grinding her teeth. I was on the verge of taking her to the emergency vet to have her stomach decompressed to relieve the pressure, but right before I had just given her a max dose of simethicone(gas relief med). Within half hour of giving it she completely changed and started eating and acting completely normal. I could also start to hear the stomach contents starting to move through the digestion. I kept an eye on her for the next few hours and she was fine after that. Her condition had been worsening all day, so I'm fairly certain her recovery can be directly attributed to the gas relief med. Never seen such a marked result after using it before. It's astounding how something as simple as gas pain can be such a severe illness when it comes to rabbits. Definitely a serious problem, and quite common with how often I seem to have to deal with it in my own rabbits, though usually it's just a mild case and resolves in a couple hours.

Bloat is one reason why it is so important not to be syringing fluid/food into a rabbit that has stopped eating, until you know exactly what you are dealing with. In a case of stomach bloat, this will just add more pressure and gas to the stomach making the situation much worse.

Oh and yes, she IS adorable! :inlove:

How is she doing now? I just saw your post... I hope she is doing well and did the vet have any clues on what is going on? In case this happens again, you may want to ask the vet for a bag with the fluids in it for sub q's so you can give it to her at home. My vet has done this with my lop that just passed and my other lop Marilyn. I have noticed the lops I have seen to have more gas and blockages, and the sub q fluids always helped improve the situation.

Good luck with her she is a cutie!

Vanessa

Jbun; well her she was very unresponsive, lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink. You could actually flop her around and she didn't care what you did to her (she doesn't usually allow this). It did seem like she was dying, I dead set thought she was going to die in front of my eyes, it was very frightening!!!!

Well after a while of being like that she all of a sudden hopped away and ate some hay and started hopping around the room, I couldn't believe my eyes but was so relieved! By that stage I had already called the after hours vet and planned to take her in to be seen and because she was ok at that minute I still wanted her to be checked because I knew something had happened, I just wasn't sure what it was.
So if this happens again, instead of giving her fluids straight away. What should I do?
I syringed some fluids into her mouth last night before I went to bed and noticed through the night she was using her water bottle (yes I was awake, must of been lightly sleeping worrying!)

Thanks :) I think she is the cutest thing I ever did see! haha

Lovelops; She is doing much better!! She is hopping around like her curious self and eating her hay and drinking plenty of water and being very active, she even did a binky this morning :) He didn't know too much, he was the one to tell me it must've been gas passing through or a blockage of some sort but because when he saw her she was active again. Thanks for that info Vanessa :)

Thanks squidpop :) she's just the cutest baby ever.
She hasn't grown much since I got her about 8 weeks ago. Will she grow much more do yous think?

Latest posts

Back