Please Help.. (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
My netherland dwarf is having what I think to be seziures. I have called over 5 emergency vets and none can take rabbits. Pinball was doing fine this morning, during his 3 hour playtime.

My house is 110% rabbit proof. He was only in my bedroom today (Since Chew my female was in teh living room)

I went to say hello and he laying down with his eyes closed, but I knew something was wrong. I picked him up and he was shaking, seemed not able to see, and was twitching his head. I cuddled with him for awhile and put him back bundled up. I then proceded to try to get a vet.

Then twenty mins later he started convulsing and tried to run but his hind legs would not work. It was so **** heartbreaking. He finally flopped down on his side, and I thought he had passed away because literally he just dropped.

But he is still breathing but it labor intensive and he is very unresponsive. I tried giving him some water (Through syringe) but its no good. I will take him to the vet asap in the morning, but I am worried he won't make it.

I am just so upset. I don't understand what is going on. He is given good food, love, playtime.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :hug:

I'm not very familiar with seizures in rabbits. Are you sure nothing was left out, such as cleaning chemicals or house plants? What about his hay- where is it from and are there any weeds in it? A few can cause poisoning.

Another possibility is a parasite that can cross the blood-brain barrier such as E. cuniculi or raccoon roundworm.

For now, just keep him warm and comfortable. If you have dry rice, put some in a sock, tie it shut, and warm it in the microwave for a cheap non-electric heating pad.

All my cleaner is organic and non toxic plant based products that have been apporved from my vet(I am very serious about animal proofing my house) and all are kept above the fridge in a cabniet just in case. All cosmetics/bath items are kept in a lock cabniet, or on my shower caddy that goes on the shower head (Obviously too high for the rabbits)

My hay (Which I acutally did buy a new bag Monday) is from a feed store. I checked, it is weed free. It is a tad on the greener side that usual, but that is it. The feed store is very cleanly but should I stop using the hay? Like I said my other two rabbits are fine.

What would cause a parasite? Could it be from fresh veggies (Which are also organic and washed)

I will do the rice thing. I just really hope he pulls through. I emailed his breeder to see if his blood line has had any problems like this :(

Many rabbits carry E. cuniculi but never get symptoms from it. Raccoon roundworm is not very common in rabbits but they can catch it from contact with raccoons or their feces. This might be possible through contaminated veggies, hay, or with outdoor rabbits who play on the grass.

The hay should be fine if there aren't noticeable weeds in it. My bales have weeds but I just pick out what I can't identify as safe.

The other possibility is that the seizures not the main problem, but are being cause by some other severe health problem such as organ failure. I don't want to scare you, but sometimes things like that do occur in young, seemingly healthy rabbits.

is your rabbit acting normal again.??..or still exhibiting odd behavior??..the worst time to find a vet is when we need one,,not criticizing,,any referals from-local dvm,s??..is it possibble the rabbit was choking/check his airway--if possible//listen to breathing--be prepared for cpr--ever done it??..you can perform this as if on a human/child,,,but the book says hold rabbit horizontal-in front of you and move the rabbit left to right//.anatomically the guts will push on the lungs(note the airway must be clear for this to work)-he may expell something out his mouth,,imagine something caught in your throat and trying to get air quick....i sure hope this is not a life or death situation--another possibility is neurological problems,,prey animals hide their problems very well--so it would not be a sudden onset unless it dyer...if possible let me know what happens..sincerely james waller

I really hope it isn't anything your describing naturestees :(
James, he is still breathingbut still lifeless and dull. I have no referalls and I don't even know if my normal vet is on holiday or not. I don't think he is choking at all.

Just keep prayers that he makes it through the night :(

Oh no, seizures are so scary, I know from experience. This brings back awful memories. :(

When you get him into the vet tomorrow I would ask to get some blood work done. Keeping you both in my thoughts. That's crazy that you had to call five different vets and none would see rabbit's. When my Dewey (bless his soul, he's no longer with us) had his grand mal seizure there were no emergency vet offices open that specialized in rabbit's (it was a Sunday) but one office had some knowledge and agreed to see him anyway. They were able to give him Valium and make his passing easier. In his case he had experienced previous seizures and we believe it was neurological.

The lifeless appearance after the convulsing is what I experienced with Dewey as well. There are different stages during a seizure, the last part being when everything kind of reboots, so to speak. With Dewey he would always come to a bit after the convulsing and looking lifeless. He then would act perfectly fine. I hope the same happens for you, so you can get him into the vet in the morning.

The best advice I can give is keep him comfortable, warm, and let him know you are there for him. :hug:

Best of luck getting him to a vet as soon as you can. I understand that you may have other things going on, but I urge you to consider going to an emergency vet ASAP. Seizures followed by acting dull, listless, and "not there" is a very serious issue that probably needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Good luck!

tonyshuman wrote:
Best of luck getting him to a vet as soon as you can. I understand that you may have other things going on, but I urge you to consider going to an emergency vet ASAP. Seizures followed by acting dull, listless, and "not there" is a very serious issue that probably needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Good luck!
-amen-claire--this is a heartbreaking thread,,sincerely james waller:pink iris:

I am sorry I haven't replied.
Pinball passed away about two horus after this posting. I put the warm rice and sock, and he fell asleep, still breathing. A half hour later he passed away, hopefully peacefull.
tonyshuman- I called all the emergency vets in arizona. All in all about 9, with one place calling 3 more for me. Even a place that was 2 1/2 hours away. I put a emergency message to my vet office. I got no reply from anyone. Nothing is more important than my animals. I was just hoping he would pull through just for a little bit..six hours at the most :(
I took both rabbits to the vet to be checked and blood tested. All came back normal. I have changed all food, bedding, cages, toys, everything. My vet is sure it was a seizure from what I described, but took samples of my food, hay, and frech vegs for testing (have not come back yet)
I also called the breeder and we have been talking.
I just don't know what to do. I am so heartbroken. Chewbacca misses him too. My mom got me a rabbit (I don't know what, it is a surprise) for christmas that I get soon. I am worried. I think it will be good to help..having a new bunny to play and love. Great for Chewbacca to have company (Her and Simba do not get along and have to be in seperate room).
I asked my vet and he said with the two being healthy and knowing me it would be okay...but I am not sure. I am worried that getting another bunny would be jsut more heartbreaking.
I ahve been clinging to Chewbacca all weekend. She is acutally on my lap now.
I will miss you Pinball. :(

I am so sorry that you lost Pinball. :(
You sound very sad. :(
The night I read your post I felt that he probably wouldn't make it because he sounded very sick.

You sound like a really wonderful and devoted bunny owner. I know that you tried your very best to help him so please give yourself a lot of credit for that.

All of us have lost rabbits under sometimes baffling conditions..rabbits sometimes surprise us with sudden ( sometimes deadly) disorders and illnesses.
It is very responsible of you to be attempting to determine the origin of the problem.

It may have been a genetic problem ...

I hope that you stay on this website; you sound like the type of person that belongs with us. :)

Hopefully your new bunny can bring you some joy but it will still be difficult to recover from Pinball's sudden death.

RIP little Guy :pink iris:

You were loved !!!!

Please keep us updated and I am so very sorry that you lost him :(

:hug:
Maureen

I'm so sorry for your loss....i cried a few tears for youbecause it brings back memories of when i lost my little blind girl Lulu August 7th 07...she had a seizure,it was the first time i had ever seen a bunny have a seizure like that...i rushed her to the emergency vet but there was nothing they could do..i had to let her go that night...i broke down and cried while at the vet....i lost my girl.

I feel for you and understand it's a heart breaking thing to watch

Thank you angieluv. I have worked as rehabilitation for exotics for five years now..ask anyone my animals are #1. I broke up with my last boyfriend literally becaue he said he din't like my animals. Thankfully my current boyfriend and future husband loves them just as much.
I even have a rabbit and a hamster tattoo. No kidding. When I got chewbacca, I just knew I found the perfect animal. Don't get me wrong, I have had my Chinchillas and other animals for a long time and I love them to death, but rabbits are just perfect.
I was worried it was genetic too, thats why I emailed the breeder (Beth at hiphopranch.webs.com) to see if the parents or any other kits have had this problem. She said no.
I just don't know what to do. I have lost many rehab animals, but they were never my pets. I also lost two of my hamsters this year, my syrian that passed from natural causes, and my dwarf hamster that lived to be almost five (it is the hamster I have tattooed.) I was so upset, but I knew they were going to die soon, espcially my dwarf beign so darn old and he had arthirus and last year I had a tumor removed from his leg.
This..this was heartbreaking. Thank god James was there to bury him...I don't think I could do it. He was my little easter cadburry bunny. He also was too afraid to jump down or up anything..even something as short as the couch. He didn't like to be cuddled..but he would come up to you and nudge you. I would lay down on the floor and he would come up to me. He gave me the first rabbit kisses three weeks ago and started a habit of love bites, lol. We were also in the process of getting him nuetured because they poor boy was so Chewbacca driven during playtime all he wanted to do is lay by her cage and try to figure how to get in there, lol. James would pick him up and say "Thats my boy, can't get enough of his woman" lol...
And when I first say a picture of Pinball I KNEW he was my bunny. I had a option of him or this beautiful blue dwarf that James absolutley loved (He hated Pinballs red eyes at first) but I knew. When we got home, he did so many binkies and was zooming around.
I am just going to miss him so so so much. :(

It is really really the most difficult to lose a rabbit( or any pet) suddenly.

There is not any time to prepare for it. If a rabbit is having seizures it is even worse because it is frightening and can make a person feel helpless. :bigtears:

Maybe it would help you to write a memorial to Pinball in the Rainbow Bridge section of the forum ?
You could post pics also if you have any.

Ihope that you stick around the forum ; you are definitely a die hard animal lover.

I was going to get my dog's face ( RIP Bonne 2004) tattoed on my arm but I backed out becauseI was afraid a portrait would be too painful.

Ilost 2 bunnies in 2008...one was a very slow drawn out illness( which also is very hard and ripped my heart out and the other oneI had a little time to prepare. )

I have a lot of pets so have a lot of losses ( (lost a guinea pig last winter but have 2 rats now. ) + 2 dogs, cat more rabbits etc LOL

Maureen

It is very hard to lose a rabbit, I'm sure alot of us here know what it feels like.

May he rest in peace :pray:

:rabbithop Binky free Pinball :rabbithop

I'm so sorry. It does sound like you did everything you could for him. He sounds like a very special guy and I'm so sorry you lost him.

Latest posts

Back