Please help! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyway you can build him a NIC cage in your bedroom? That way you can make it any size and shape you want. Sounds like the heat is gonna be rough on the bunnies. Thanks, April :)

Maybe looking at NIC Cages II might show you about the cages and might give you some idea. I'm not sure how healthy it would be in your climate to bring him in during the day and put him out at night (especially in the winter). It would definitely not be recommended over here.

He won't be able to have a friend until he has been neutered and healed from it, and if the friend is an unspayed female, then he will have to wait 8 weeks. That should give you some time to work through this though.

Can you explain a bit more about his diet? Like what he eats, when, how much, hay, water, fresh foods, anything that he consumes?

Just10 wrote:
Also, if the heat is the problem, would his stomach be affected? When I go to pick him up, his stomach is almost non existent. Like, it feels just like fur. But when he's not sick, it's healthy feeling.
I think you got some good answers to other questions you asked already, so I won't comment on those.

But this stomach thing sounds like maybe he's getting dehydrated. That can be really bad for rabbits as they need water to keep everything going, just like people, but their complicated GI tract requires a lot of water for proper function. I would offer him a bowl of water in addition to a bottle, and perhaps put ice in it when you can.

Also, it may be worthwhile to check the local shelter for reduced price neuters. I know ours has them for just $40 for a rabbit. Also, a member here called slavetoabunny runs a rabbit rescue in Gainesville (I realize that's a bit far), and she may know of some low-cost neuter places.

Just10 wrote:
I haven't tried those cages. My mother and I are going to look for a small indoor cage for the days, since at night it's not hot. I got him from a friend, i'm not sure how old he was when I got him. I don't know how much it cost to neuter him. Does neutering help his health? There are no other bunnies in his cage so pregnancy wont be an issue or anything.
kirsterz09, how much is that? That sounds neat. I'm also putting a fan out by his cage for a few hours a day. It rains here a lot lately so I can't keep it out there all day.
Also, if the heat is the problem, would his stomach be affected? When I go to pick him up, his stomach is almost non existent. Like, it feels just like fur. But when he's not sick, it's healthy feeling.
Thanks again everyone for the advice!

Just10: I volunteer with Gainesville Rabbit Rescue. You can have your rabbit neutered through our low cost program for $50. You would have to bring him to our vet in Port Orange. I think if you call around, you'll find that the price is well worth the 60 mile drive. If you are interested, PM me with your email address and I can send you the voucher request.

Hey all, sorry I haven't been on. Today I went out to feed the bunny and sadly I saw he passed away. Today was fairly chilly out for Florida. It was well below 70 and windy, so I'm not sure if the heat killed him. I also put ice cubes in his water. I'm not sure what it could have been, possibly a spider bite or something like that. It's sad to see him go, but I know he's better off now.
Thank you again for all the help.

Latest posts

Back