Please Help- RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
My new rabbit got neutered today, and my boyfriend just picked him up so that we could give him his night dose of metacam, and after we put him back in his cage, my boyfriend's shirt had fresh bloody spots on it.

We took him out again to look at his bits, and his right one looks like it's a tad bloody. It's not gushing out blood, but I don't know if this is normal or what to do.

When Mr. Evey got neutered this didn't happen...

Thank you,

Kathy

He may have pulled a stitch. Make sure that he isn't biting at his area and jumping around. You might want to restrain his movements a bit for the first few days.

As long as it's not massive it should be ok for now. Try and keep his litterbox as clean as possible so that it doesn't infect. For now though, try not to panick about it. I am sure someone else will come along with better advice. :hug:

I'd gently try to see if he popped a stitch. For tonight, I'd just try to keep it clean and keep him quiet. (If necessary, put him in a smaller cage to restrict movement.) If you think a stitch dislodged, I'd call the vet first thing in the morning. Check it in the morning and see how it is. He may have just done a bit too much running around.

Eek, I've never dealt with this. I can say, that my instinct and knowledge would lead me to check for a pulled stich, as was mentioned. Keep an eye on him, see if you see it again. Let us know. Get him in tomorrow to check the stiches. (He didn't get staples, did he?:()

BlueGiants wrote:
I'd gently try to see if he popped a stitch. For tonight, I'd just try to keep it clean and keep him quiet. (If necessary, put him in a smaller cage to restrict movement.) If you think a stitch dislodged, I'd call the vet first thing in the morning. Check it in the morning and see how it is. He may have just done a bit too much running around.

I feel really stupid, but would it be obvious if he popped a stitch? Would a commoner like me be able to tell? When Mr. Evey got neutered, I honestly couldn't see any stitches.

And, even if he did pull a stitch, if it has stopped bleeding and by morning looks fine, should I still get him in to see a vet?

Thanks so much for your help, you two...I get so nervous about health-related stuff :?

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Eek, I've never dealt with this. I can say, that my instinct and knowledge would lead me to check for a pulled stich, as was mentioned. Keep an eye on him, see if you see it again. Let us know. Get him in tomorrow to check the stiches. (He didn't get staples, did he?:()
hmm, I'm going to try to get a closer and better look right now

I think I'd check on him a couple of times if you can overnight. Could you put him in a small crate near you? like a cat taxi?

Hehe, no worries. It might be a bit blood-stained and hard to tell right now. I think it is pretty safe to assume he popped a stitch at this point. The skin around doesn't seem more swollen or anything right? I say you keep an eye on him tonight and call your vet in the morning and mention it to them. They'll guide you about going back or not. Those rascallly wabbit can be really silly when they want and they do it to themselves by their sillyness.We're here for ya:hug:

ok, so I looked and they are both a bit blood stained and hard to see anything around there.

However, they do not seem to be swollen, and the bleeding has stopped.

He is in a pretty small cage right now since I knew he should probably be in one after his neuter. I could put him in a cat carrier though if it would be better.

Thanks again. I will still call the vet in the morning to see what they say!

Bruno was a pest when he got neutered.. the vet had to touch him up actually as he was recovering because he was chewing at his wound so bad.

Keep him on a light coloured cloth just so you can monitor his bleeding. He should be alright in the cage he's in for now, just make sure he's not bothering it to much. He might have been chewing at the wound a bit, and irritared it.

He should be fine though :).

Evey, he should be okay:hug:. I know it can be scarey, even for a boy.

They should be red, I've seen that, lol. Also can look veiny:shock:. Redness will/should subside in about 48-72 hours. Depends how the bun heals, it's normally less then the 72 hour you see the redness disappear;).

aw, thanks so much, everyone.

man, I was freaking out for a while, but I think Leo's doing well...I mean, he's just lying down on his bed with his hind legs stretched out.

I talked to Haley, and she said that he'd be hunched up and probably grinding his teeth if he were in pain.

I'll keep checking on him and update you guys! :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Tell him you'll have to put a lampshade on his head if it keeps up..... that might help! ;)

Ha ha, I had a snigger at that.

I agree with what everyone else said. It might also be that maybe they didn't use stitches with him (they don't in the bucks here, just allow them to seal) and maybe he hadn't quite sealed properly.

I'm glad he is doing well. They just like to keep you on your toes you see :p

sorry for the lack of an update!

still no more bleeding, and I called the vet's office this morning. They said that it is normal to see a bit of bleeding like that, and I could even see some more today, but if it bleeds after today, I should take him in.

Despite that scare last night, I think he's going great...he's eating, drinking, and pooping like crazy, lol.

sigh, thanks for everything...I was totally in freak-out mode last night.

-Kathy

Oh good! I would have hated if you had to take him back in. Those things are so stressful for them!

Latest posts

Back