Please Help.... Really worried, don't know where to post this either..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixxAM

Reaction score
(ill upload pictures when I figure out how)

My rabbit, her name is Echo, I don't know her breed... Well, she has something on her foot.... It's a pink - red... almost purple... This is my first time having a bunny, so I dont know if this is common (and I dont think so)
It looks like a blister of some sort, her cage is kinda rough on the bottom, in a few areas, so it may be her sitting on those parts?
If anyone could help me out, it would be great... Ill try too upload pictures, of her, her foot, and her cage...

Pictures will help, it is rather vegue. Please make sure there are no circulation problems (ie, string around a toe). The other thing that comes to mind is sore hocks, but without a photo it is hard to tell what is going on.

I suggest uploading the picture to photobucket (free) and pasting the direct link.

here's a way to post pics in threads on this site :):

1. upload a pic to http://photobucket.com/

2. click the picture you want to post, then on the "links" box in the top right corner, click the "direct link" line and it'll auto-copy it for you

3. when responding to a thread, you need to actually click reply instead of using the quick reply box at the bottom

4. on the top toolbar, second from the right is the img button (will say "insert image" when you mouse over it) - click it and paste the photobucket link in the pop-up box and voila! your pic will appear in the post:

DSCF02812.jpg

Okay, I used the same method as the minecraft fourm.

My bunny's foot (1) (ignore my in the background, i stabbed myself in the chin with a fork)

My bunny's foot (2)

Sorry for the late reply... My cat ran away, and I had to go look for him...

Looks like sore hocks to me. When my rabbits get it I put liquid bandaid on it every day. http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Liquid-Bandage?skuId=336846. It really helps. It does sting a little when you put it on so some rabbits do not like it. Most will tolerate you applying it though. Sore hocks take a week or two to correct. It will eventually scab over and the hair will grow back. Breeds like Mini Rex are especially prone to it because they have poorly furred foot pads.

She chewed though a dryer cord.. little more than a week ago.. my mother thinks it could be that...
Im paying this out of my own money, so Id rather not see a vat, if I have too though, of course I will...

I agree, it looks like sore hocks to me. Does the cage have a wire bottom? That might be the problem.. make sure your bunny has a solid, soft place for her to rest on. I'd call a vet to get some valid information, if you explain that you are the one paying for everything and how old you are, they sometimes lower prices to help you out. Or you could ask your parents for some help and figure a way to pay them back if thats the case. Always better to make sure she's healthy! keep us posted

Definitely sore hocks, my bunny has suffered with this too. You needn't see a vet straight away, there are a few changes you can make to help it heal.

We cleaned the sore and the cage, dried them both THOROUGHLY, then grabbed some fur she had pulled out and placed it against the sore, then wrapped it in a bandage, just to cushion it. You may also want to get some antibiotic ointment or skin cream, which you should be able to get in a good pet shop.

If you're using wood shavings in the cage make sure they are dust-extracted, so no little bits get into it. Also be more vigilant about keeping the cage or hutch clean. Empty the litter tray daily and always be spot-cleaning the rest. Change bedding regularly. Another thing you can do is make sure he/she has a soft place to sit in the cage. A carpet offcut, cheap rug, some fleece etc. If your hutch or cage has a wire bottom you need to cover that up immediately as it will be digging into the foot. Something else to consider is whether the bunny has overgrown nails? If so that could be forcing them to put more pressure on the backs of the feet instead of evenly throughout the whole foot.

If you keep up with the cleaning and maintenance of the hutch and the bunny, it should heal nicely and need no further treatment - just prevention. However if your rabbit should stop eating or drinking, or its behaviour changes - please do see a vet. Good luck!

Seareously the best way (and cheepest) to treat sore hocks is just some liquid bandaid. I have had MANY cases of it and all were healed in a couple of weeks with using it.

Latest posts

Back