Please help rabbit cut!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeslaTheBunny

Reaction score
I was petting my rabbit and noticed she had a cut on her stomach! What should I do?
Hair is shaved because she was recently spayed
1636747770754.png

Oh dear. That looks like opened stitches. I'd give the vet clinic a call to get her seen asap. In the meantime, restrict her space and try to stop her from messing with the site further.

I would definitely take her to the vet. Make sure she doesn’t try to clean that area, rub at it, bite it, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck with your bun!!

If that's not the incision site from the spay, she could be self mutilating because of abdominal pain from the spay surgery. So yes, call your vet, as your rabbit may need stitches, antibiotics, and pain meds. If you can see to the layer below the skin and/or it looks like it could be infected, then you'll need to get her seen right away.

If that's not the incision site from the spay, she could be self mutilating because of abdominal pain from the spay surgery. So yes, call your vet, as your rabbit may need stitches, antibiotics, and pain meds. If you can see to the layer below the skin and/or it looks like it could be infected, then you'll need to get her seen right away.
She was spayed a month ago, not the incision site. I think she might have cut it on a sharp edge of a box, I saw her jump on top of it yesterday and kind of flinch but I didn't think anything of it. I can't bring her to the vet until tomorrow night at the earliest, the closest vet is 5 hours away. What should I do in the mean time and do you think it needs stitches

If it's just a surface wound and there's no infection, that won't usually require stitches, but just monitoring to make sure it stays clean and there are no signs of infection(red irritated skin, discolored wound, lump forming under the skin). But if it's straight through the skin layer and you can see past the upper skin layer, yes it does need stitches, plus antibiotics. If you aren't sure, since your vet is so far away, I would think you could phone your vet and send them a photo to get a better idea if they think you need to bring your rabbit in. For now I would make sure it stays clean, especially if the skin layer is split open.

Back