Please help. Orange, CA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbbunny

Reaction score
So not only am I totally a newby at being a bunny caregiver, I hadn't planned on it. I am really worried about this adorable little creature. I found out that the bunny is a Jersey Wooley. It's so cute! It's hair on its head is almost longer than its ears. It's also very timid.

I don't know if this is the area of this forum that I should ask for advice but here goes: This is what I've done so far...please tell me if its wrong.

1. We didn't have anything to feed it but carrots which it ate, until today when I got it pellets. I haven't seen it eat the pellets.

2. My husband made it (I don't know how to tell its sex) a cage which I feel is too small. It's outside right now, we live in Southern California so its not that cold outside but still I feel bad that its outside right now which is why I'm here. Should I keep this kind of bunny in hutch outdoors at night? I covered the cage with a towel. I worry because we do have occasional racoons and coyotes that roam around in an empty field behind our back gate...can predators smell bunny's and is it in danger?

3. We have cats which I have kept away from the bunny so far. This bunny seems sort of big to be our cats prey. I knew someone who had a cat and a dutch bunny that got along great and even shared the backyard, is that because dutch bunny's are more assertive?

4. If I can convince the rest of the household that its best, what is the best way to keep it indoors and if its indoors how much outdoor time per day does healthy happy bunny need?

5. Should I even attempt to keep this little girl or boy? I really am concerned about it, and if I knew more about what to do, I think I could be a good bunny owner because I'm obviously really worried that I'm not doing that right now.

Can someone please address some of the above and give me the basics of bunny care in a house, with two cats who had to adjust to each other, and have...can they adjust to a bunny or will they see it as something to prey on?

Finally if I'm not right for this bunny, can anyone give me some ideas about how to find it a good home? It's really a beautiful bunny and an experienced bunny owner would absolutely love it, I know.

Help. Please.

dumbbunny wrote:
1. We didn't have anything to feed it but carrots which it ate, until today when I got it pellets. I haven't seen it eat the pellets. Good job for getting it off just carrots because they are very high in sugar - but maybe try chopping up a carrot (quite small) and mix it with the pellets and it may influence him to eat pellets :) Also does he have access to water in a bottle and a bowl? It depends what he was using beforehe may prefer using a bowl.

2. My husband made it (I don't know how to tell its sex) a cage which I feel is too small. It's outside right now, we live in Southern California so its not that cold outside but still I feel bad that its outside right now which is why I'm here. Should I keep this kind of bunny in hutch outdoors at night? I covered the cage with a towel. I worry because we do have occasional racoons and coyotes that roam around in an empty field behind our back gate...can predators smell bunny's and is it in danger?

Is it possible to have your bunny in the house? He doesn't need to be but then you can keep a closer eye on him and bunnies should have between 1-4 hours of run time a day so you could let him run around your house (make sure to bunny proof first)

3. We have cats which I have kept away from the bunny so far. This bunny seems sort of big to be our cats prey. I knew someone who had a cat and a dutch bunny that got along great and even shared the backyard, is that because dutch bunny's are more assertive?

Maybe let him settle in before introducing them, I know other members have bunnies and cats living happily together and they may be able to help because i don't have any experience as I don't have a cat :)

4. If I can convince the rest of the household that its best, what is the best way to keep it indoors and if its indoors how much outdoor time per day does healthy happy bunny need?
As long as he gets enough run time he should be fine indoor and/or out!

5. Should I even attempt to keep this little girl or boy? I really am concerned about it, and if I knew more about what to do, I think I could be a good bunny owner because I'm obviously really worried that I'm not doing that right now.

Here is a article I wrote- if you read it, you will be able to know if a bunny is right for you :) Click Here

dumbbunny wrote:
So not only am I totally a newby at being a bunny caregiver, I hadn't planned on it. I am really worried about this adorable little creature. I found out that the bunny is a Jersey Wooley. It's so cute! It's hair on its head is almost longer than its ears. It's also very timid.

I don't know if this is the area of this forum that I should ask for advice but here goes: This is what I've done so far...please tell me if its wrong.

1. We didn't have anything to feed it but carrots which it ate, until today when I got it pellets. I haven't seen it eat the pellets. Carrots are a sugary treat and small amounts are ok, its not a good main diet for rabbits. Start out with a quarter cup to half cup a pellets per day. He/she may not be eating them now, but the rabbit will. Make sure it gets plenty of hay and some dark green veggies. Romaine, collard or turnip greens, spinach, parsley are just a few. The library section has a more complete list.

2. My husband made it (I don't know how to tell its sex) a cage which I feel is too small. It's outside right now, we live in Southern California so its not that cold outside but still I feel bad that its outside right now which is why I'm here. Should I keep this kind of bunny in hutch outdoors at night? I covered the cage with a towel. I worry because we do have occasional racoons and coyotes that roam around in an empty field behind our back gate...can predators smell bunny's and is it in danger? A member just lost around 4 rabbits to a pack of wild dogs in southern California, the dogs jumped over a large fence to get at the rabbits.So if you can its best to keep the rabbit indoors. Rabbits are prey animals and predators can find them. Even if the predator doesn't get to the rabbit directly, the rabbit can literally be scared to death. They die from adrenaline poisoning.
If you do have to keep it outdoors make sure that its hutch has a enclosed area where it can run and hide in if it gets frightened. Rabbits are social creatures and love to be around people. They have such unique personalities that you will be amazed. Rabbits are really great pets, they are very clean animals and can be trained to use a litter box. A indoor cage can be made using NIC wired storage cubes and some cable ties. The cage should be large enough for the bunny to be able to hop around in and tall enough for it to stand up on its hind legs. When you keep a rabbit indoors you can observe it better and notice if it isn't feeling well.
Rabbits love to have things to chew on so a phone book or a cardboard box with openings cut into it are good. Cat toys like balls or toys made for birds are good for rabbits, baby keys and toilet paper tubes with hay stuffed in them are good too.

3. We have cats which I have kept away from the bunny so far. This bunny seems sort of big to be our cats prey. I knew someone who had a cat and a dutch bunny that got along great and even shared the backyard, is that because dutch bunny's are more assertive? I have two dogs, two cats and they get along with the rabbits fine. We had to watch the dogs at first, because one wanted to chase the rabbits. After a while he knew they were off limits and doesn't even notice them now. Some rabbits are more assertive then others, depends on their personality. I have Flemish giants who have chased the dogs and one who beat up one of the cats when the cat took a swipe at its ears. The cat kept its distance after that.

4. If I can convince the rest of the household that its best, what is the best way to keep it indoors and if its indoors how much outdoor time per day does healthy happy bunny need? I believe its best for rabbits to be inside, rabbits kept outside don't live as long as indoor bunny's and they aremoresusceptible disease and illness. I have 15 rabbits and they are all indoors, theyhave their own bedroom:). The main thing a rabbit needsis some time to run around and stretch its legs for exercise. Rabbits are curious animals andlove to explore. I let mine run around the living room and up and down the hallway. A couple of hours a day is good. Many people create a bunny run outside and let their rabbits depending on the weather several hours outside per week.

5. Should I even attempt to keep this little girl or boy? I really am concerned about it, and if I knew more about what to do, I think I could be a good bunny owner because I'm obviously really worried that I'm not doing that right now. I can't tell you whether you should keep it or not, but what I can tell you is rabbits are fantastic pets, they are very loving, smart and are great companions. The fact that you are asking these questions show that would be a great bunny slave (dogs have masters, cats have staff and bunny's have slaves;)). Look in the library section as there is a great post on bunny 101.

Can someone please address some of the above and give me the basics of bunny care in a house, with two cats who had to adjust to each other, and have...can they adjust to a bunny or will they see it as something to prey on?

Finally if I'm not right for this bunny, can anyone give me some ideas about how to find it a good home? It's really a beautiful bunny and an experienced bunny owner would absolutely love it, I know. I believe there is information in the Library section listing rabbit rescues by state or you can google for some in your area. You probably look in the library section for a listing of rabbit savvy vet's in your area.
I hope this helps and you can send me a private message (pm) if you have any more questions. I would be happy to help.
I hope this helps
Dave

Help. Please.

Sounds like you really care for this bunny and would be a great bunny slave! :) Whether or not you should keep 'him' is up to you. Bunnies make great pets but they're not all cuddly. In fact as someone mentioned the other day, they're complicated!

You're doing great for a person who has never owned bunnies before and you definitely came to the right place. There's heaps of info and plenty of friendly people to answer your questions here! Feel free to post any questions you have in the main Rabbits Online forum. I'm still amazed by how much I've learnt about bunnies from here! Hope to see you around!

:welcome1 to the forum!!

:bunnydance: Welcome!! I got my first bunny on complete impulse, I could not bear the thought of her going to a shelter. I had ZERO knowledge of rabbits, I learned everything that I know from forums, the HRS website (House Rabbit Society) and books. If you think that you could be a good bunny parent, go for it! The people on here are super friendly and very bunny savvy, so there will always be SOMEONE that can answer any question that you may have.

Any way we can get a picture of your cutie?? :biggrin2:

Hi there. I was almost embarrassed to come back here, I was so frantic last night. Today is a lot better. My little Lionhead is doing pretty good. I went shopping and bought some supplies. I think maybe it might work out okay. :D

I'm going to move this over to the Nutrition and Behavior section since it's about feed and care.

It does sound like you're very kind and love this little guy.

Do you have pics? We can help you later with the sexing and all that..... right now let's get him on the right feed and don't forget hay! That's one of the most important things to feed him.

You believe it's a lionhead now?How cute! :)

Oh my, don't feel embarassed! I was JUST telling someone how I freaked the first few times my mini-rex (purchased on a whim at the state fair!) did a bunny flop! I thought he was having seizures LOL! He was just a happy boy!

Thank you, I will familiarize myself with the website and do that from now on.

I just want to thank everyone for their help. I'm going to keep him. His name is Lionel cause he's a Lion head rabbit.

dumbbunny wrote:
I just want to thank everyone for their help. I'm going to keep him. His name is Lionel cause he's a Lion head rabbit.

What a great name! I don't think I've ever seen a bunny on here with that name...... but I could be wrong!

What color is he? TinysMom used to raise lionheads so I'm sure she will love to see him too!

Congrats on the new little fella!

Very good work on rescuing the poor little creature, Wouldn't you post fliers to see can you find the original owner?

Paul,
I don't know about lionheads specifically, but bunnies are native to orange county and are everywhere, consequently, so are coyotes.

It is most likely not a lost pet. However, I think that is a great point that you brought up.

That's so wonderful of you to take this bunny in. He wouldn't have lasted long outside running around if you haven't found him. There's so much info online and this forum can help you every step of the way. So don't feel embarrassed with your questions we were all there once. Cute name!

bijoux wrote:
Paul,
I don't know about lionheads specifically, but bunnies are native to orange county and are everywhere, consequently, so are coyotes.

It is most likely not a lost pet. However, I think that is a great point that you brought up.
but Jersey woolies arn't found in the wild, So someone had to have released it be on purpose or mistake. Either or I would still like to find the owner and ask them what happened. And If I didn't like the look of them I would keep the bunny.

I must agree with Paul, it sounds very unlikely that Jersey Wooleys or Lionheads roam around like wild pets. Can't see them surviving out in the wild but that's just my opinion...

My mom lives in a senior community in Orange County and you can just drive down the streets and there are little bunnies everywhere, they are adorable. They usually are in a group and are various colors but tiny, like a lionhead, which she said it was. I think a jersey wooley is big like my angora so I don't think I've ever see those wild no, but she never mentioned anything about a wooley.

My mom has told me it's quite a problem actually, and it draws the coyotes. Most of these seniors have little dogs and several dogs and people have been attacked by the coyotes.

You can probably find info online about it if you were that interested but I was just trying to provide information since I was familiar with the situation, having seen them wild first hand.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh my, don't feel embarassed! I was JUST telling someone how I freaked the first few times my mini-rex (purchased on a whim at the state fair!) did a bunny flop! I thought he was having seizures LOL! He was just a happy boy!
LMAO....I recall the first time Simon flopped. I flew to the floor next to him crying, begging him not to die and trying to jiggle him to make him move.
He got up kicked his back legs at me and ran off to pee on my couch....
I came to RO and found out what this "strange" behavior was :D

Latest posts

Back