Please help my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted this at another forums but have not yet received the answersto some of my questions. There's simply not enough time (I think), soquick answers/suggestions might even save my pet bun. Thank you so muchin advance!

This is what I posted (it has all the info):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd first like to start off saying that my bunny has been the greatestpet ever. Even though my bunny is still alive, I think it's days alivemay be numbered... I do have some questions, so if you could dedicatesome time to answer them we would be greatly thankful.

Some history of my rabbit:

It is 7 years old and has lived a healthy life in a very healthyenvironment. She would get around 2-4 hours of exercise in the backyard and indoors. She has been fed different types of greens, carrots,and hay has been available for her almost 100% of the time. She hasreceived the utmost attention any rabbit could get. The bunny has in noway been harmed on mistreated.

Just about 5 days ago, we had noticed our bunny "wobbling" as she movedaround, and we grew concerned. She also produced very small and harddroppings. We took her to a vet, they did an Xray on her, yet theycould not determine what the problem was at the time. At the time itlooked like it may have something to do with obstruction in theintestines, so they gave us some medicine for that and told us to feedher lots of greens and hay. They also said that it may have somethingto do with her reproductive system. The vet said to keep doing this forthree days, and if the condition doesn't get any better, we should calland notify them. It didn't get any better, so we they told us that theproblem was in the reproductory system. . . . The biggest mistake wedid was not spay our rabbit, since we did not know much at all aboutthem at the time. The vet suggested surgery, which would cost us about$1,300. Unfortunately, that is not possible for us to do...

That being said, I went and did some research on my own, to see ifthere is anything else that I can do. I googled "rabbit diseases" andall the reproductory diseases had something to do with the bunnyurinating blood. Our bunny did/does not do that. She also has a verynormal appetite, which just doesn't quite add up.

Again, her symptoms are:

inactivity (except when asking for food)
When moving, she doesn't keep her balance very well
Produces small droppings in small quantities (for how much food she is eating)

I read about how uterine cancer affects around 80% of all unspayedfemale rabbits. But the symptoms of this disease just don't add up withthe symptoms of our rabbit (the way I perceive it).

Symptoms of uterine cancer:

"Blood at the end of urination – usually appears in a “pool” in the middle of the urine. It is not evenly mixed with the urine."
"Blood around the vaginal area"

Our bunny does not exhibit any of those symptoms.

That being said, here are my questions:

Is it still possible to get a regular spay for my bunny and keep heralive if she does indeed have a reproductory disease? (She has beenshowing symptoms for around 5 days)

Note: I also read about how spaying the rabbit before the cancer spreads may still save the rabbit's life.

Could you please provide us with some other possible diseases that match my bunny's symptoms?

Any other information would be GREATLY appreciated.

If any additional information needs to be added please ask!

Thank you very much for your time.

AugB.

I don't know what's wrong with your rabbit, but I would get her to a good bunny vet ASAP.

Aug B,

I am very sorry to hear about your bunny. Is your vet rabbitsavvy? If you're afraid that they dont know what is wrongwith her, I would get her to a different vet. If you tell us whereyou're located, maybe we can help you find someone more knowledgeablein your area. Not all vets know a lot about rabbits.

There could be a lot of things going on with her. Wobbling can becaused by certain neurological problems, ear infections etc. I woulddefinitely get a second opinion.

I wish I could offer more help. I'll be praying for your little one.For right now, just be sure she is eating and drinking and poopingregularly.

Also, have you checked into Care Credit to help with vet payments?Here's the link:http://www.carecredit.com/

I can't imagine a $1300 bill for what should benot much more than a higher risk spay, which would be $350 tops in myneighbourhood, all inclusive. She'd have to have her organfunctions tested first and a lot of vets will try and operate with anIV in place (which actually isn't easy to do with a bunny, thus theextra cost).

And I applaud you for your research, you seem more rabbit savvy thanyour vet, although the vet has the xrays. What made him thinkit was uterine-related?

Did the vet do a blood panel? Did he xray her head?

As Haley said, if she's 'wobbly', it's more likely an ear infection(very hard to spot visually,not sure about an xray), aparasite, head abscessor neurological problem.

I believe a common course of action would beto prescribeanti-biotics and ivermictin, but not sure how that would work with thebunny's age.

Meanwhile, really try and get drinking more than usual and eating wetfoods (I have good luck with diluted carrot juice and cannedpumpkin),and exercising and/or tummy rubs to keep her gutmoving and any gas bubbles broken up. The smallpoops probablymean her GI track is slowing down or ispartially obstucted.I'm assuming the vet prescribeda gut motility drug?

Critical Care, which is ahighfiber mix that lookslike ground up pellets, would be good if your bunny will eat it -- youmay have to spice it up with something she likes,pumpkin,banana, apple juice, carrot juice or whatever.

Just in case, I'd get her used to eating treats from a syringe in caseyou have to 'force' feed her in the future. If she'll drinkdiluted juices from the syringe, or even water, that would begreat. She mostly needs hydration to fluff up those poops andkeep the GI track moving. Veggies and hay aregreat, but may not be enough.

Also best to set up a safe area for her so if she does fall and/or roll, she can't hurt herself.

Let us know how she is.

sas :pray:

Uterine cancer sounds like a pureguess. Like Haley and Pipp, I'm concerned about thewobbling. It can indicate an ear infection, E. cuniculiinfection (parasite that affects nerve system), or otherproblem. There's lots of info in the Rabbit Health Referencessection if you'd like to do more research, especially on head tilt:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

Have you looked around for a better rabbit vet? I agree that the pricesounds much to high for an "emergency spay," not to mention that morethan an xray is needed for diagnosis. Maybe there's someoneon our vet listings who's near enough:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

For now, I recommend uping her fluid intake. If she has abottle, give her a bowl as well since many rabbits drink more frombowls than bottles. You can also flavor a second watercontainer with a little apple or carrot juice, flavored Pedialyte, orvanilla. Canned pumpkin is a favorite treat with my crew thatgets a fair bit of water as well as some fiber and vitaminsin. If she gets pellets you can mash them up with water,juice, or pedialyte. Pipp's given some more great info too,no need for me to repeat it.:)

Also, here's more info on how to help pay for vet bills, just in case:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12684&forum_id=10

Thank you everyone so much for the info. We'll take her to a rabbit-savvy vet tomorrow that's not so far from us.

As for my bunny, it looks like she has gotten worse. Her droppings havedecreased even more, and she just curls up into a little ball and goesto sleep. Also, by "wobbling" it's not in the head. The body wobbleswhen she walks around, and she also has some difficulty in regainingher balance. She also seems very weak. What's surprising is that herappetite is just as good as it was the day we brought her in.

We're feeding her greens and hay. We also have special medicine to giveher for her intestines, since the vet gave it to us when he thought itwas obstruction in the intestines.

Thank you all again; I'll report back tomorrow.

(Additional advice is always appreciated)

The wobbling is a common sign of head tilt (thehead doesn't actually have to be twisted, or sometimes it doesn'thappen right away) or another neurological problem.

Did the vet give painkillers? It sounds like she needsthem. Also, baby gas meds (simethicone) and increased fluidscan help make her feel better.

I'm glad you have another vet to bring her too. That firstone obviously wasn't familiar with these symptoms, although they aren'tthat uncommon in rabbits.:?

naturestee wrote:
The wobbling is a common sign of head tilt (the head doesn'tactually have to be twisted, or sometimes it doesn't happen right away)or another neurological problem.

Did the vet give painkillers? It sounds like she needsthem. Also, baby gas meds (simethicone) and increased fluidscan help make her feel better.

I'm glad you have another vet to bring her too. That firstone obviously wasn't familiar with these symptoms, although they aren'tthat uncommon in rabbits.:?

Yeah, we have painkillers for her. Thanks for asking & for the additional info.

The same parasite that often presents as 'headtilt', E. cuniculi, can also present as front or hindendweakness or paralysis. It'shard todiagnose.And 'balance' can still bean earthing, so it's tough to rule out neurological and inner ear issuesbecause head tilt isn't present.

It could be anything, but one would think the body xraywouldhave ruled out a lot of things -- spinal issues, tumors,arthritis.... (Again, not sure why it didn't rule out orconfirm a uterine problem).

A rabbit-savvy vet is definitely the answer. Meanwhile,hydration is still the best home care treatment.Things like canned pumpkin, Pedialyteand juice flavored watercan help keep the GI track moving, ditto withwell-hydratedCritical Care.

Please let us know how it goes!

sas :pray:

If she's already on painkillers, what is shegetting, how much and how often? Metacam/meloxicam iscommonly prescribed for rabbits but one of mine can not tolerateit. She had it once a day and would go into stasis for abouttwelve hours after a dose. Just a thought.

She's going to the vet right now. It doesn'tlook very good, to tell the truth. She looks and feels very weak. We'rejust hoping for a miracle :(

Thank you all who have contributed to this post.

AugB, I'm thinking of you and your bun.... take care, OK?

Thank you all for contributing towards my bunny's wellness, you have all helped so much.

Unfortunately, she has passed away.

My pet bunny has been the greatest companion of all, and I will always have the fond memories of her in my heart.

May you rest in peace, bunny. You are one of a kind. You will never be forgotten.

Picture077.jpg

I have been privileged to have this kind of experience in my life.There's nothing quite like it. To everyone else coping with the griefof the death of a pet - don't blame yourselves. Remember the good timesyou've shared with your pet, and look to the future.

Thank you so much.

OMG, I'm so sorry for your loss.Tearing up right now. I miss Bun Bun. Alot todayfor some reason. I liked what you wrote at the end of yourpost, that was nice and so true.

Latest posts

Back