Please help me!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesliedave4k

Reaction score
We bought to bunnies in January and the pet store swore they were both girls. We would check them quite often and they both looked like girls to us, well turns out, one was a boy and one was a girl. Well yesterday we discovered the first of four babies in the cage. We quickly researched and made her a nesting box and by this morning she had 4 total, but one passed away. She was starving this morning so I fed her and am giving her space, but I am so paranoid. She has pulled so much fur that you can barely see the babies. How will she nurse them through all of this fur? Also, she keeps moving the nesting box. I'm so worried that she isn't going to feed them. I'm not sure to touch them, or not. My husband burried the one that passed, I just don't want the rest to pass. We separated the male and female right away and now she is happily eating. What do I do? I never wanted this to happen. We love our bunnies, and they are indoor and only go out in our patio with us. I just feel bad that I didn't do a better job to make sure that they were both female. The male is going to have to be neutered, poor little guy. He is smaller than she is so I thought that he was the mother, but we figured it out. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Leslie

Aww man. I'm sorry to hear that! I'm sure one of the breeders on here will see your post soon and respond as to what to do with the kits but the one thing I wanted to mention was that what's more important than having the male neutered is getting the female spayed. (The male should be neutered too but its MORE important to spay the female.) This is because statistically she has an 85% of getting ovarian cancer by the time she is 3 or 4 if she isn't spayed.

I'm sorry I cant really offer too much advice about the babies. The one thing I can tell you is that its okay to touch the kits. The mother want abandon them just because they have your scent so don't be afraid to handle them if you need to.

Good luck!!!

Thank you for responding! Ok, so we'll take both of them to the vet! Everyone on this board is amazing and so full of information. I had no idea that their was show quality bunny's! So many adorable pics!!

My mama bunny is eating and drinking like crazy right now. I just hope she feeds them. They are so tiny!! Thanks again!!

Leslie

First of all - stop beating yourself up over this. You did the best you could to make sure they were girls and you've done the best thing you can do now - which is to separate them. So pat yourself on the back that you've done the most responsible thing.

Now about mama - if she pulled fur - there is a very good chance she is going to follow through and take care of her babies. I have seen some of my mamas pull fur out of the nest to get in there and nurse - and then put the fur back in the nest when they were done. She will know how to feed them with the fur in there...

Also - she will only feed them once or twice a day - either late at night or early in the morning - when people aren't around. You can tell when a baby is fed because its tummy will look like it has a ping pong ball in it....it will be so swollen up. You might want to check the babies now to see if they got fed - if not - we can talk you through getting mama to nurse...but I'm guessing there is a good chance she's fed them.

Rabbits don't lay down w/ their babies and nurse them like cats and dogs do. They stand over them and the babies lie on their backs and nurse off of mama that way. It takes about 3-5 minutes for my does to nurse...if that long. Some mamas seem to like to stay with their babies more - and I have one mama that had a singleton and I swear she was nursing that little one every 4 hours or so 'cause its huge and I always seemed to see her in the nest.

Now - if mama and daddy were together right after the babies were born - the bad news is - mama is probably pregnant again! I'm sure there are other breeders who can help you with this as mama's milk will start to dry up in a couple of weeks for her new litter (I think - I've never had this situation). But by then, you can work on feeding the babies and we can help you with that.

So for right now my best advice is.....relax! Check the babies to make sure they've been fed (if their tummies look sunken in and wrinkled...they weren't fed and we need to make mama feed them). As long as mama is feeding them....you'll be doing fine.

I do suggest you read the topic pinned at the top of the rabbitry sub-forum about rabbits from conception to weaning as it will help you! You can read it here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

By the way - baby bunnies are so much fun - while this wasn't planned - I suggest you enjoy them while you have them.

I commend you for doing the right thing by separating the parents....and please don't feel bad - accidents can happen like this even though you try hard to prevent them!

Peg

Thank you so much! We separated them right after the first one was born, and after that she had 3 more. Could she get pregnant while still carrying the 3? I'm trying to relax and let nature take its course, I just feel so responsible for these little lives. I'm such a mama!! My husband keeps telling me to calm down. I'm going to check them and see if she has fed them, if she hasn't, how long do I wait to make sure she is feeding them? Thank you everyone for the information! I really appreciate it!

Leslie

That was quick thinking! I think she could have only gotten pregnant again after all the babies were born, so you probably saved her from having another litter in a month.

Now is a great time to neuter the boy, because he can still have active, working sperm for a month, sometimes more, after the surgery. So if you neuter him now and keep him separate, you can reintroduce him back to the girl after the kits are weaned (about 8 weeks). They might fight because they were separated, so be sure to reintroduce them in a place where neither has been and go slowly. Read up on bonding in Bunny 101- you'll find lots of helpful tips.

Just wanted to send some good thoughts your way...sounds like you're doing a great job of taking care of these new babies.

Pet stores are terrible. They told me my Max was a girl when he had one descended testicle...i noticed it when I got him home! I would have your boy neutered ASAP and then have the mom spayed later on.

Good Luck and Im praying for the little babies!

-Haley

Thank you everyone for the kind words! So far so good. They look like they have eaten with round little bellies and they seem to be warm. She made such a nice nest for them. A round circle, thick with fur and hay at the bottom. They are right in the center and are covered. I'm so worried that she is going to step on them or one might miss a feeding, but I guess I have to let nature take its course! Does anyone know if I should wash Speedy (mama bunny)? Her legs and bottom are dirty and she is a little agitated when we pick her up. Sne never like to be carried much anyway, she's the type that comes to you if your on the floor, but doesn't much like her feet off of the floor. When should I clean up the cage? There is hair everywhere. Poor thing pulled out so much that I can see her skin! Also, we live in Southern California and its pretty darn hot here. Is it ok to leave the air cond. running at 78 degrees? Thanks again, I'm so glad that I found this board.

Leslie

Ok, first of all... Take a deep breath, everything is fine! LOL Sounds like to me she is doing great with the babies. As a breeder, when I have a first time mom, I love to see fur all over the place, it seems like the only litters I have ever had problems with are the ones who didn't pull much fur making the nest.
I wouldn't try to clean up the doe, she will do this herself, and probably would not appreciate you touching her there right now, trust me, she will be a little sore for a couple of days! ( I know cause I've been there, LOL) Because you moved so fast separating the buck and doe, she probably isn't pregnant again. I know I wouldn't have been in the mood while in labor!!
You are probably fine leaving the air on at 78, the doe is used to the temp there, and will get too warm if you raise it. The kits (baby bunnies) will be fine, that fur in the nest will keep them quite comfortable at lower temps than that, so long as they aren't right on the air vent. Think wearing a heavy coat, if you put your hand in there with them it will fel wonderfully warm and cosy.

The 3 of them are doing wonderfully, thank you for asking. I check on them in the morning and at night and mama is doinga GREAT job!!! I am so honored to be able to have experienced this, even though it was the last thing that I wanted to happen. I can see why breeders fall in love with this...they are just adorable. I can't wait till they are hopping all around!!!!

Leslie

naturestee wrote:
That was quick thinking! I think she could have only gotten pregnant again after all the babies were born, so you probably saved her from having another litter in a month.
Ah... but don't count your chickens too early!!!

It is possible for her to become pregnant while still carrying a litter / while in labor.

I would suggest taking her to the vet when this litter is about 2 weeks old - ask the vet to palpate and check for pregnancy... then you can go from there. There are websites and even palpating instructions on this forum - but it can be rather difficult if you're not quite sure what you're feeling - you could inadvertantly palpate the kidneys...lol.

Good luck with the little ones though!

~Sunshine

Are you kidding me? I pray to God that didn't happen, I would feel so extremely bad. Now I'm back to being a Nervous Nelly! I hope my little Speedy isn't pg again. I would hate for that to have happened.

Leslie

Back