Please help! Berry can't move her head.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Last night around 1am I went in the bunny room - all three of them where fine. I gave them some fresh hay and a small treat each and then left them for the night.

I stayed up really late, so didn't wake up until around noon time. I went in the bunny room pretty much right away to say hi to them and give them more hay and all that. I didn't see Berry right away, which is unusual because usually when I go into the room all three of them are begging for treats.

I found Berry on the top floor of their 3 store cage, in the litter box, with her head flopped over face down in the hay. I thought she was dead. I reached into the cage to gently pet her and noticed that she wasn't dead, she was breathing and moved a bit when I touched her. So I very gently picked her up and placed her on the floor in the room. She hopped about 3 or 4 hops, before I stopped her, because she looked horrible. She can move all her legs, but her neck is floppy and her head just hangs down.

I dug out one of our pet carriers, thinking that it would probably be best to constrict her movement. I filled the bottom with hay and then put a piece of fleece on one side, trying to make it more comfortable for her. I layed her down on the fleece and went to call our vets.

It's so weird, because I kept checking on her over and over again, and she was eating hay, even though she can't seem to move her neck at all. It doesn't look like head tilt when there head is tilted to one side, it is very floppy and she just can't seem to control it at all. Her eyes looked weird too - like they where facing off to the side and more of the whites where showing than normal.

She is at the vets now, but we don't know whats going on yet. I'm so afraid we are going to loose her. Has anyone every experienced anything like this before? Any ideas what it could be?

Please keep my sweet Berry in your thoughts! I'm so worried :tears2:

I'm glad you got her to the vet!!

Do have a good emergency vet?

I've got a great vet....It might be a bit of a way for you to travel....but he's worth the effort.

http://www.pomptonlakesanimalhospital.com/

Pompton Lakes Animal Hospital.
9 Cannonball Road
Pompton Lakes,NJ 07442

It's just off of 287.

It's Dr. Cattiny....he has an emergencypager you can access through the main number.
There's no extra charge for emergencies on Sundays!.

973-835-4774

Tell him Jim ....Chippy's Dad....referred you.

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way...and extra for Berry.
:pray::pray:...:pray::pray:

:pray:

It could be a lot of things -- neurological, an injury or even the much-disputed 'floppy rabbit syndrome'.

Could she have eaten anything poisonous?

Any word from the vet?

sas :clover:

like others...im cluseless..ill pray for her and hope for the best

keep us updated

Hope things are going well at the vets and they can get something done to help her. Another possibility is a ear problem, although an ear infection that serious probably couldn't come on that fast. Fingers crossed/here.

I just figured I'd post a really quick update.

It's been a very long and stressful couple of days. Berry is still with us and making small improvments every day. She has been at the vets since Sunday, but should be coming home tomorrow.

I'll post an update probably tomorrow in my blog. I don't have a lot of time to right now.

Thank you all for your replys and kind words. :hug:

Back