Please fellow rabbit lovers - tell me I?m not crazy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
I could reallyuse some support right now. My family and friends are tellingme that I’ve completely lost my mind, that I’m insane and they don’tknow what’s wrong with me and that I don’t have my prioritiesstraight. Here’s the deal, I’ve been trying to find anotherapartment now for awhile. Right now I’m living in a 2 bedroomapartment in Queens, NY (1 br for the buns) and I commute to Manhattaneveryday to work. The apartment is ridiculously priced andits far from my job and my neighborhood isn’t the best. (notdangerous or anything, just could be better) Well, I went tolook at a beautiful apartment in a much nicer section ofQueens. It’s 2 br apartment as well but its more than doublethe size of where I am now and cheaper!! And it’s closer towork. The owner said I could have it….but I refusedit. He said there was absolutely no way I could take Rice andBeans with me. I would have to get rid of them and I saidthat was out of the question and I turned it down. My dad isreally mad at me and my friends are telling me I lost mymind……:bigtears:
But to me its like asking to get rid of my own children…I think I did the right thing.

I would've done exactly the same thing. Is thereany way you can offer him more money as a damage deposit or something?Money talks!

Don't worry, everyone here understands!

I just sold my house a few months ago. The realtor said it would sellbetter if the buns were caged. I said "No way!". They never have beenand never will be.

You are not out of your mind. Youwould be out of your mind if you left those two babiesbehind. I had the same problem when I was looking forapartments in the past. Luckily I have my own home now anddon't have to deal with landlord crap. :)

Thanks jordiwes and lissa - you two are thefirst ones to say im not crazy and i did the right thing!:D i really needed to hear that.....especially after my dadsaid "i dont know where your head is at these days" - that made me feelawful.

I'd do the same thing. Why should Igive up my babies just to get a better apartment? I'd ratherhave them with me, and know that they were well taken care of.

I think you made the right decision. I wouldhave done exactly the same thing. There will always be otherapartments, but you could never replace your bunnies.

I would have turned the guy down, too! NO WAYwould I get rid of my baby! You are not crazy and a lot of people justdon't get it. But I find that there are a lot of people who DOunderstand....if they allow cats, they should allow rabbits!

Good for you, i absoulutly would do the same. Ilike Jordiwes had a good idea maybe offer a deposit for later damages.But again i think we all agree we would do the same!! Good luck findingsomething and try to let what your family and friends say roll off ofyou, we all understand.:D

I agree with the deposit too! Do yourbunnies chew baseboards? If you can assure the owner thatyour buns won't damage anything, are litter trained, etc., hopefullyhe'll let the buns stay. If not, I hope you find a greatapartment that is bunny friendly.

Aw, Hun...you did the right thing.Don't ever listen to people that invalidate your decisions.It's not worth doubting your own wisdom.

You did the right thing...it's exactly what we've had to do on severaloccassions because we have pets. They weren't willing tolisten to the fact that our babes are very well trained, and don't messwith anything...it was just the concept of pets. Don't letthem get you down...you're right...THEY are the ones that are wrong formaking you doubt yourself. Trust your wisdom...:)...buns arenot humans, but they're people, too. :D

P.S. My direct family is so mean...they do the samething. Don't worry about it. If you ever need totalk about it, feel free. We're always here foryou!:) People like that make me so mad...where do they getoff making others feel bad or second guess themselves?!:X

THAT'S AN AWEFUL THING TO SAY!! Heshould be ashamed of himself for making his daughter feel thatway!! You're head is exactly where it should be!!GRRR!!!:X:X:X

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Thanks jordiwesand lissa - you two are the first ones to say im not crazy and i didthe right thing! :D i really needed to hearthat.....especially after my dad said "i dont know where your head isat these days" - that made me feel awful.

First and foremost you would not get rid of yourchildren if you found a great deal on a no kids apartment. Seondly, ifyou can find a place that is a private owner telling them that the bunsare in cages whille you work generally helps. Does he even know theywould be loose ever? Some people who don't have them don't know. If itmakes you feel better I have had the same problem with my family.

Thanks guys. I was gonna try to tellhim that too, that they would stay caged - even though thats a lie butif that doesnt work then i can look for apartments elsewhere.there's plenty here in NY so im not going to let myself get all bentout of shape over this one anymore

Well, as with everyone else here, I too wouldhave done the same thing. For me to give up my pets would be exactly asyou stated, like giving up my child(ren). What good would it be to havea roomier, cheaper apartment if you wound up in constant agony overgiving away your beloved Rice and Beans?

The thing is, not all people will understand your emotions over this.To many, a pet is a pet is a pet...something that can be there to playwith perhaps, but also something that they wouldn't give a secondthought to disposing of if circumstances arose. I have a coworker whois a casual friend where I work, and I would talk to her about myanimals many times, and she would tell me all about her family dog. Oneday I happened to mention that I had a new carpet in the living room,and Raph had peed on it a couple of times. When she asked what I wasgoing to do about it, I told her that I cleaned up after him, and if itcame down to it, a carpet was just a carpet...it really didn't matterto me if it got stained (though I was trying my darndest to teach Raphto use a litter box...LOL). The look on her face was that of immediatehorror. She said, "What?? You would put a rabbit ahead of your carpetsand furniture?" She clearly didn't understand that I equate life withinany creature as sacred; life to me equals love, in whatever form, andthat I never put material things ahead of it.

There will always be those who think the way you or I do; there willalways be those who like animals, but do put material things (orappearances) ahead of them; and there will always be those who simplydo not respect life. I guess that's what makes the world such aninteresting place. But to be true to yourself you must honor that whichyou believe in always. There will always be others who will attempt toproject their values and beliefs onto you; I say simply smile at them,acknowledge their opinions, but hold in your heart your own love andbeliefs. Never allow others to supercede that, and never allow othersto make you feel bad over your beliefs.

The right place will come along for you and your bunnies...have fun in your search!

:)

Hey, I was just thinking we used apartments.comand rent.com. They have a spot on the site and have books you can findin stores or restaurants out here, that says whether the apartment ispet friendly.

Finding a new place to stay is fine. People move all the time.

Youwill regret having to give up yourbunnies for something that you can control.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back