Playing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanTheDutch

Reaction score
Ok im new to the group and I just got a new bun.My friend is Orions_girl. Well I was wondering how you play withbunnies? For example you play fetch with a dog. Is there a way to playwith a bun. He is young and I was told that some owner trained theirbuns to play tag. But I was also told to never chase a bun for theywill think they are trying to be killed. But all i do is watch it hoparound but I want to be able to play with him. Please help!

Hello and Welcome.

Rabbits really don't play like cats or dogs. Most times you'llsit on the floor and you and your rabbit will figure out a game. LikeApollo loves paper, so when he gets a mouthfulI gently tugone end and he keeps backing up to get it away from me. I run away andhe chases me, when he catches me I run again. Some rabbits like thissome don't.

Put a bunch of different toys one the floor. See what yourrabbit plays with or seems interested in. That might give you an ideaon what your rabbit might like to do. For toy ideas if you go to thetop and type toys and then search you will fin a post called Toys andit has tons of ideas.

Tina

Wrigley's idea of playing is taking whatever Ihave in my hands and trying to eat it or move it.For example if I'm reading a magazine he will come over and try to takeit away from me and when he has succeeded he will drag itaround. It's not exactly a game, but it sure is fun to watchhim when he is determined to rearrange everything. :D

Jenn

DuncanTheDutch wrote:
Ok im new to the group and I just got a new bun. My friendis Orions_girl. Well I was wondering how you play with bunnies? Forexample you play fetch with a dog. Is there a way to play with a bun.He is young and I was told that some owner trained their buns to playtag. But I was also told to never chase a bun for they will think theyare trying to be killed. But all i do is watch it hop around but I wantto be able to play with him. Please help!
When I first got Mushrooms it had been about seventeen years since I'dhad a pet rabbit, so I had very little knowledge about actual rabbitbehaviour - its easy getting stuff on health care and nutrition, etc.but very few books actually say what rabbits behaviour is like.

I suppose each rabbit is different, but generally they're curiouscreatures, so pushing things or picking thing up in their mouth andtossing them are great bunny boredom breakers!! Also, rabbits are faston their feet. So chasing and being chased is always fun for rabbits.

My boy LOVES chasing games, but most rabbits doget freaked when chased. Seems like the big buns like those games more.Maybe they are more confident because of their size.

Rose

Mine love hiding out in boxes, so I keep a fewout at a time for them to play in and chew. Also, they like it when Ihold a piece of cardboard or egg carton and they tug it out of my hand.Sometimes I won't let them have it right off, sometimes I give it upeasily. It's a fun game we like to play.

I have a treat ball - a plastic ball with holesthat you put treats in. My buns love to push it around the floor andeat the treats that fall out. I think I got it at busybunny.com.

Hef loves to shred newspapers and magazines, so I leave a few out forhim to play with. He also hasn't been as interested in shredding thecarpet since I've been leaving those out.

One more thing they like is I bought this big cardboard tube at HomeDepot. I lay it down on the floor for them to run through. It alsomakes a good shady place when I put them outside in their "playpen".

Good luck with your new bun!:)

Back