Play rooms and exercise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goneforbaroque

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits and the front room of my apartment is a designated 'bunny area'. They have a large pen in there but I like to let them out at least once a day. I'm wondering what I can do to encourage them to move around and exercise. What do your play areas look like? Currently I have a cardboard box, a cardboard piece with a hole in it they jump through and push around, some carpet for traction since the floors are hardwood and few wicker balls which get largely ignored. The catch: one rabbit is 4 lbs, the other is 13lbs and quite clumsy. Many of the rabbit toys I've seen in the stores would be much too small for one of my buns (like those pre made cardboard houses or fabric tunnels). Any ideas? Pictures would be awesome :)

We have a cat tunnel that's really popular. I know that some members also buy cement tube forms from hardware type stores. They're basically like those cardboard tubes you buy in the pet store, only you can get them in different diameters and in longer lengths.

what Christina says...yep..
if i didnt have tunnels in their play area they would just lay around and do nothing in there...but now its the bunny 500 time..:)..its awesome to see them fly thru the tunnels...

Milo has some cat toys he grabs onto and tosses. Mostly he hops around the apartment...but, he is litter trained so if I am awake and home, he is free to roam. We also go out into the hallway here in my building once a night and he gets to go for a run up and down the hall...and he loves it. Have you thought of cat toys? Just make sure they have no catnip. The toys I have are all plastic, with a bell inside. No feathers or anything etc. Watch for that...I know Milo would try to have something like that for lunch. Empty toilet paper rolls make for a fun toy too. Milo loves his.

Try hiding their food around the room like a giant scavenger hunt. So in boxes, under a flower pot or plastic cup, wrapped in paper etc. As they get quicker at finding the food you can make it harder so they keep having to work for it.

i bought my guy some toys but he just ignores them, what he does love is a scarf that i've tied around a chair, he grabs hold of it and runs around in circles, he also loves paper, tissue and newspapers, runs around with them, shaking his head up and down while they're in his mouth, he rips them apart and makes some mess but very entertaining : )

I use those willow tunnels and link them with the baby links. I also hang bells on the ends and the buns head butt them on the way through. It's fun to watch. There are pictures in the thread called "the Rabbit Room"

Back